HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 8:37 AM

Commerce Place on Burrard.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Get to it you lucky bastard. see if you can spot CIBC... Do they even have a tower in downtown?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:01 PM

Nice, I like how it is the least prominent of the bunch. Hell, TD has two towers!

Speaking of which, is there ever any chance TD will consolidate into one tower, or did they just stick their logo up on Bentall4 just for show?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:37 PM

They stuck their logo onto bentall 4 becuase it used to be the canada trust building before the two banks merged. Now that they have merged the TDCanadaTrust logo is on both buildings.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:08 PM
BANNED

I noticed a red NAV light at the top of the Shangri-La crane which at this point must be about 650 feet.

I assume Shangri-La is tall enough to warrant those red NAV lights at the top for planes?

What is the height above which red lights are required at the top of a building for NAV? Is this a legal requirement from Transport Canada or done by choice by the developer?

Is Shangri-La high enough that there is a risk of a hit by a plane?

Is the height above which NAV lights are required determined by the city and the landscape? For example in Calgary and Edmonton, I noticed all the buildings in their downtowns have red NAV lights atop them because Edmonton and Calgary are flat, but in Toronto and Montreal some building had them and some didn't. In Yellowknife some had!

In Montreal, would the rotating spotlight above Place Villa Marie satisfy Transport Canada?

lots of questions but would appreciate replies... thanks...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan6969 View Post
Whats going inside the 2 steel buildings on top of the podium, with the concrete columns inside, it doesn't look like there'd be much space, is it just an atrium going into the podium.
A couple of restaurants, I think. The Urban Fare grocery store will be underground or at grade.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
I noticed a red NAV light at the top of the Shangri-La crane which at this point must be about 650 feet.

I assume Shangri-La is tall enough to warrant those red NAV lights at the top for planes?

What is the height above which red lights are required at the top of a building for NAV? Is this a legal requirement from Transport Canada or done by choice by the developer?

Is Shangri-La high enough that there is a risk of a hit by a plane?

Is the height above which NAV lights are required determined by the city and the landscape? For example in Calgary and Edmonton, I noticed all the buildings in their downtowns have red NAV lights atop them because Edmonton and Calgary are flat, but in Toronto and Montreal some building had them and some didn't. In Yellowknife some had!

In Montreal, would the rotating spotlight above Place Villa Marie satisfy Transport Canada?

lots of questions but would appreciate replies... thanks...
I'll see if I can find out tonight or tomorrow for you. However, in the short term I know that aircraft are supposed to fly 2000 feet above any object within 2000 foot radius of the aircraft, so that even in a worst-case scenario an aircraft could theoretically glide safely over top of this obstacle.

As such, I would theorize that the red lights are just a marker to indicate where these large obtrusions are (they would be on aeronautical charts) so that pilots flying at night could reasonably guess how far away and as such how high they should be flying from this object... in this case the Shangri-la.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:47 AM

The red lights in Vancouver are actually for the seaplanes flying in and out of Coal Harbour. If you look you can see there are actually similar lights on the Pan pacific and many of the other coal harbour high rises.

I think regarding Edmonton the lights are there becuase of the close proximity of the Ariport to the downtown core, and it may be the same issue in Calgary. As for Vancouver the downtown core is no where near the flight path of incoming or departing flights from YVR.

As for any of the technical requirements of transport canada I have no idea, although im sure someone on this fourm could fill you in. And no I dont think the spotlight on Place Ville Marie would meet the safety requirements.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:54 AM
Dérive-r

There are some of those lights on the buildings near Burrard Inlet I've noticed in a photograph not too long ago, such as Granville Square etc which I'm assuming has to do with their proximity to the Sea Plane terminal. I had never noticed it before until I saw the pic. Wish I could recall where I saw it.

I tried to quickly look something up about it and found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia:

"The worlds highest control tower off the ground is Vancouver Harbour Control Tower, situated on top of the 142 meter skyscraper 200 Granville square, in Downtown Vancouver, Canada. The worlds tallest free standing control tower is the 132,2 m tall Suvarnabhumi International Airport control tower, 25 km east of Bangkok, Thailand"

I didn't know Granville Square had that record so I found it rather interesting.

EDIT: Thanks for the info LeftCoaster

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
The red lights in Vancouver are actually for the seaplanes flying in and out of Coal Harbour. If you look you can see there are actually similar lights on the Pan pacific and many of the other coal harbour high rises.

I think regarding Edmonton the lights are there becuase of the close proximity of the Ariport to the downtown core, and it may be the same issue in Calgary. As for Vancouver the downtown core is no where near the flight path of incoming or departing flights from YVR.

As for any of the technical requirements of transport canada I have no idea, although im sure someone on this fourm could fill you in. And no I dont think the spotlight on Place Ville Marie would meet the safety requirements.
the spotlight would actually be a nighttime hazard now that I think about it. While you are supposed to be flying IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) at nigth, being blinded by a white light will really fuck up your night time vision and the ability to pick up other hazards.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 11:24 PM

A couple pics taken from my living room today (I should start telescope shopping soon... lol). Sorry if the files are too big.. wanted to show detail!

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:01 AM

Nice!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:13 AM

Christmas lights on the Shangri-La construction crane

I just noticed tonight that they have put red Christmas lights on the tower crane for the Shangri-La.

My photo, taken November 9th, 2007.

I like that this tradition is continuing. From my perspective in East Vancouver the Shangri-La is now the tallest tower in the city.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
the spotlight would actually be a nighttime hazard now that I think about it.
The sea planes there don't fly at night though, so it'd be okay to have a rotating spotlight.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 11:55 PM
BANNED

estimated height right now?

does the owner of the top penthouse know he will have red beacon lights flashing on all corners at the top?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 12:11 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The owner of the penthouse won't have beacons flashing on the corners.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:39 AM

posted by skymaster, from Flickr:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 6:27 AM
Vancouver Moderator

those are amazing pictures... thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 11:40 AM

Great pics!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 7:25 PM

Great pics. Is the top of the Shangri-la crane, in the numinous picture, a good assumption of the final height of this tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver