HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Can we move on, or go to private messaging. Scrolling through endless posts of keyboard warriors calling each other names is exhausting.
Sorry, but at the same time, not really. I'm not overly cool with allowing people to be continually blatantly racist in public forums, without calling them out on it.

You can choose to ignore it as you said and scroll by. No harm done.

Letting it continue unabated and not calling it out is far more harmful to the overall thread than a few posts squabbling about it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Interesting to see France on the top 10 list of source countries, they are a bit of an outlier there.
I read an article about this a while back. Things are getting a bit harder in France. Professionals have to look elsewhere to find good jobs. Canada makes sense as French is an official language here. Obviously the majority are going to Quebec, but I have met a couple of French people here in MB.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:31 PM

I met a French immigrant couple recently, he came here to work for Ubisoft she was workings at the new Crepe Café on Sherbrook.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 3:14 PM

Curious for anyone in the know where are most immigrants settling in Winnipeg these days?

I know when my family immigrated too Canada the main spot was the northwest quadrant around the Maples and Tyndall Park area. From my observation it seems the growth is spread out to more areas such as near U of M and surprisingly Transcona is looking to be a hot spot these days. Any other areas that y’all notice getting an uptick?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Curious for anyone in the know where are most immigrants settling in Winnipeg these days?

I know when my family immigrated too Canada the main spot was the northwest quadrant around the Maples and Tyndall Park area. From my observation it seems the growth is spread out to more areas such as near U of M and surprisingly Transcona is looking to be a hot spot these days. Any other areas that y’all notice getting an uptick?
Some spots are hotter for newcomers than others, but I don't think there are any parts of town without significant numbers of immigrants.

I think any place with reasonably affordable housing (either in the form of SFHs or apartments) has a lot of immigrants and newcomers now. There aren't many bastions of old school, white-bread Winnipeg left. I get the impression that Charleswood/Tuxedo is the biggest remaining patch. At one point I would have added St. James-Assiniboia but I suspect that must be changing...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Yes, please keep telling us all about things you know nothing about. Such a racist moron. Done wasting time with you. Crawl back to the dark hole in your moms basement and ask for some snacks.
Calling out legitimate racism is one thing. Calling everyone racist if they offer a counter opinion, does little to validate an argument and probably causes more harm than good.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 9:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Some spots are hotter for newcomers than others, but I don't think there are any parts of town without significant numbers of immigrants.

I think any place with reasonably affordable housing (either in the form of SFHs or apartments) has a lot of immigrants and newcomers now. There aren't many bastions of old school, white-bread Winnipeg left. I get the impression that Charleswood/Tuxedo is the biggest remaining patch. At one point I would have added St. James-Assiniboia but I suspect that must be changing...
Surprisingly enough, Wolseley is about as white as it gets in Winnipeg.

It's definitely tilts towards the woke end of the scale, but this area obviously is not the first choice for many immigrants to the city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 9:35 PM

It seems for some reason the area south of Portage to the Assiniboine River once you pass Sherbrook all the way to the Perimeter has a really high concentration of white people compared to the rest of the city.

What’s even more interesting is the housing stock in this quadrant of the city has a decent amount of apartment blocks scattered all across so affordability wouldn’t be a concern. Just looking at apartments in Westwood for example shows some really reasonable rents.

Movement patterns are truly a fascinating thing to observe.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Surprisingly enough, Wolseley is about as white as it gets in Winnipeg.

It's definitely tilts towards the woke end of the scale, .
That's not surprising at all. Areas with a lot of "woke" folks , places with yoga studios, coffee shops, Buddha statues in the windows and rainbow flags everywhere are usually extremely white. For all their talk about racism and inclusiveness they sure love sticking to themselves. This is true here in Winnipeg and every other north American city

Last edited by Luisito; Jan 8, 2023 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
That's not surprising at all. Areas with a lot of "woke" folks , places with yoga studios, coffee shops, Buddha statues in the windows and rainbow flags everywhere are usually extremely white. For all their talk about racism and inclusiveness they sure love sticking to themselves. This is true here in Winnipeg and every other north American city
I don't think anyone gets to choose who can't live in the neighbourhood. Wouldn't the makeup of the place depend on who chose not to live there? I don't think the people of Wolseley are excluding anybody.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 3:46 AM

Quote:
That can be found all along Osborne Street, as well as Corydon Ave (from Stafford to Confusion Corner). I haven't noticed that as much as other "White" areas like River Heights/Tuxedo or Charleswood.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't think anyone gets to choose who can't live in the neighbourhood. Wouldn't the makeup of the place depend on who chose not to live there? I don't think the people of Wolseley are excluding anybody.
What is ironic, is that when Tuxedo was a town, Jews are forbidden to live there (up until the 60s, if I am not mistaken). Now it arguably has the highest concentration of Jews of any area in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Sure, but it's still kind of ironic that these areas are known as being " woke" (as some one else pointed out) and barely have any ethnic diversity at all.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Sure, but it's still kind of ironic that these areas are known as being " woke" (as some one else pointed out) and barely have any ethnic diversity at all.
There are also areas that traditionally are the exact opposite of "woke" with a low concentration of minority residents (i.e Charleswood, Tuxedo, Westwood, etc). Osborne Village is fairly "woke" yet has a heterogeneous demographic of people.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
There are also areas that traditionally are the exact opposite of "woke" with a low concentration of minority residents (i.e Charleswood, Westwood, etc). Osborne Village is fairly "woke" yet has a heterogeneous demographic of people.
I work near Osborne, i am there often. I don't see that much diversity there either. Maybe slightly more so than Wolsley.

The other areas no surprise.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Yea when I lived in Roslyn it was kind of surprising being one of the only brown families in the area. When I went to Waverley West it was like a completely different world.

A lot of people hate on the area but one thing is for certain it might be the most inclusive place I’ve ever seen. Just personally speaking I have lived next to every single possible ethnicity you could think of. Whether it’s South Asian, Chinese, Nigerians, Filipino, Jews, Uzbek, Indigenous, and hell even my neighbours are lesbian.

For all the talk about “sprawl bad” clearly something clicked when the area is a bastion of multiculturalism that is safe, no discrimination, and most people are physically fit because of all the recreation and commuting trails available. Being next to U of M ain’t so bad either. The only thing it needs is allowing a few corner stores and it’s basically a 15 minute neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Yea when I lived in Roslyn it was kind of surprising being one of the only brown families in the area. When I went to Waverley West it was like a completely different world.

A lot of people hate on the area but one thing is for certain it might be the most inclusive place I’ve ever seen. Just personally speaking I have lived next to every single possible ethnicity you could think of. Whether it’s South Asian, Chinese, Nigerians, Filipino, Jews, Uzbek, Indigenous, and hell even my neighbours are lesbian.

For all the talk about “sprawl bad” clearly something clicked when the area is a bastion of multiculturalism that is safe, no discrimination, and most people are physically fit because of all the recreation and commuting trails available. Being next to U of M ain’t so bad either. The only thing it needs is allowing a few corner stores and it’s basically a 15 minute neighborhood.
Statistically speaking, the Village area has a greater percentage of Jews, Africans, Indigenous, and Filipinos. For some reason it has a lower than average percentage of Asians, (especially South Asians) so this may explain why you feel more comfortable in Waverley West

I have to laugh at your statement of "no discrimination" considering I grew up in South Fort Garry 30 years ago. It may ahve changed, but in the 80s/early 90s, the area had the highest concentration of Asian born people in Winnipeg, and there were a lot of problems with racism. In particular, anti-Native sentiment was prevalent.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 2:26 PM

^You have a good point I was mainly speaking from anecdotal experience which obviously has its flaws and not everyone has the same experience. I might have just gotten lucky.

Not that you mention it, racism towards Indigenous people is unfortunately still prevalent in the area so I’ll retract the “no discrimination” statement. I would like to believe it’s slowly improving which again might be a bit naive on my part.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 5:10 PM

Despite all the talk about this city being such a racist place, personally I have not experienced too much racism here. A few incidents, no big deal. Winnipeg is one of the freindliest cities I have ever been to or lived in.

I do remember though when I first moved here, more than a few people bashing the transcona area. A few coworkers really made it sound like a bad place. They said it was also a racist place. I have been over there a few times but I don't know that area that well. I didn't really see anything wrong with the place, I don't live too far away from Transcona. My wife has a few friends over there.

I didn't grow up in Winnipeg so It has taken me sometime to learn the character and vibes of different areas. I'm still learning.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 5:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I think in the case of Wolseley its that the area is full of larger 100+ year old homes that may be a bit daunting to new comers. It's probably a lot more comfortable to start out in a smaller or newer home somewhere else, especially if that area already has established immigrant families.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan