HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:36 PM
Everywhere all at once

Keep it going! i cant wait for them to start building this, I'm already planning to ride up that elevator as soon as it opens.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Boston Business Journal

Gale, Vornado close on purchase of Filene's site

Gale International and Vornado Realty Trust closed on the $100 million acquisition of the historic Filene's property from Federated Department Stores Inc.

The sale of the building, located in Boston's Downtown Crossing retail district, closed on Jan. 26. Mack-Cali Realty Corp. (NYSE: CLI) and institutional investors, advised by JPMorgan Asset Management Real Estate, are co-investors.

The joint venture of Gale International and Vornado (NYSE: VNO), both based in New York, plan to redevelop the site into 1.2 million square feet of mixed-use space. The developers are planning a 38-story tower at the four-building site, which would include retail, luxury condos, a 250-room hotel and 600,000 square feet of office space.

The $600 million project will be part of a large historic renovation of the site, which currently house Filene's Basement Inc. Pending government approvals, construction is expected to begin in June. During construction, Filene's Basement will temporarily close its flagship store at 426 Washington St.

In addition to partnering on the redevelopment of the Filene's site in downtown Boston, Gale and Morgan Stanley Real Estate acquired 23 acres of land in South Boston from News Corp. for nearly $204 million last September. In 2005 Gale sold the One Lincoln St. office tower for $705 million.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:06 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Boston Business Journal

Gale, Vornado close on purchase of Filene's site

Gale International and Vornado Realty Trust closed on the $100 million acquisition of the historic Filene's property from Federated Department Stores Inc.

The sale of the building, located in Boston's Downtown Crossing retail district, closed on Jan. 26. Mack-Cali Realty Corp. (NYSE: CLI) and institutional investors, advised by JPMorgan Asset Management Real Estate, are co-investors.

The joint venture of Gale International and Vornado (NYSE: VNO), both based in New York, plan to redevelop the site into 1.2 million square feet of mixed-use space. The developers are planning a 38-story tower at the four-building site, which would include retail, luxury condos, a 250-room hotel and 600,000 square feet of office space.

The $600 million project will be part of a large historic renovation of the site, which currently house Filene's Basement Inc. Pending government approvals, construction is expected to begin in June. During construction, Filene's Basement will temporarily close its flagship store at 426 Washington St.

In addition to partnering on the redevelopment of the Filene's site in downtown Boston, Gale and Morgan Stanley Real Estate acquired 23 acres of land in South Boston from News Corp. for nearly $204 million last September. In 2005 Gale sold the One Lincoln St. office tower for $705 million.
Considering Menino and the BRA's newfound appreciation for height and the city's growing demand for space, it's disappointing to hear of another 30-40 story box flattening out the financial district

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger47 View Post
Considering Menino and the BRA's newfound appreciation for height and the city's growing demand for space, it's disappointing to hear of another 30-40 story box flattening out the financial district
Hadn't seen the design, didn't know what it was. But its better than nothing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 1:10 PM
New Yorker for life

NY Times

Another Building by a Noted Modernist Comes Under Threat, This Time in Boston

A rendering of Renzo Piano's design for Trans National Place.

Paul Rudolph’s 1960 Blue Cross/Blue Shield Building in Boston could be demolished to make way for an 80-story tower designed by Renzo Piano.

By DAVID HAY
March 7, 2007

A plan to demolish a 1960 office tower by the influential architect Paul Rudolph threatens to pit a prominent developer backed by Mayor Thomas M. Menino against preservationists who see the building as a seminal example of midcentury Modernism.

If the developer, Steve Belkin, prevails, Mr. Rudolph’s 13-story structure will be supplanted by an 80-story skyscraper designed by one of today’s biggest names, the Italian architect Renzo Piano.

On March 13 the Boston Landmarks Commission plans to consider Mr. Belkin’s application for a demolition permit for the Rudolph building, at 133 Federal Street, in the city’s financial district. The commission, whose jurisdiction covers all buildings in downtown Boston and in other neighborhoods more than 50 years old, can order a 90-day delay during which it can ask the applicant to consider alternatives to demolition.

Several groups, including Docomomo, an international organization devoted to preserving Modernist buildings, plan to submit statements at the hearing urging the commission to recommend that the city delay issuing the permit by 90 days.

“We are not opposed to the new development, but we would like to think there is a solution that could accommodate the preservation of Mr. Rudolph’s building,” David Fixler, president of Docomomo’s New England branch, said. “It is a very significant piece of Boston’s architectural heritage and deserves a complete hearing.”

Similar battles to prevent demolition of Rudolph residences have been unsuccessfully waged in Sarasota, Fla., and Westport, Conn., in recent years; preservationists are now fighting to save his Riverview High School in Sarasota.

The squat tower in Boston, originally called the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Building, was the first Modernist office building to rise in this city’s downtown, according to Docomomo. Its ornately intricate concrete exterior was viewed as a controversial rejoinder to the prevailing International Style of the 1950s, in which high-rises were typically wrapped in glass.

Currently owned by Mr. Belkin’s company, Trans National Properties, it is part of the Winthrop Square redevelopment, whose biggest portion is occupied by a city-owned parking garage. At the urging of Mayor Menino, Mr. Belkin submitted the sole proposal in November to build the 80-story tower on the site. Preliminary drawings for the Piano tower call for it to be topped by a “lookout garden” and to strive for certification as an environmentally sensitive green building. Also planned are an adjoining covered plaza and an indoor public garden. The board of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which must approve projects larger than 20,000 square feet, endorsed the proposal in late January with Mr. Piano in attendance. The developer has until April 25 to submit a financing plan to the authority.

James W. Hunt, chief of environmental and energy services for the city, said that Mayor Menino was committed to the Piano tower. “It furthers his vision of Boston becoming a contemporary architecture hub,” he said.

But preservationists argue that the Rudolph building need not be sacrificed to make way for the Piano tower. Ideally, they say, the 1960 structure might even enter into a visual dialogue with a bold new tower.

In this month’s issue of the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Timothy M. Rohan, an assistant professor of art history at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, says the building received a mixed reception upon its completion. It drew praise from the architect Philip Johnson and later from the architectural historian Vincent J. Scully Jr., who applauded its “excellent relationship to the pre-existing street” and said it prefigured the progressive urbanist schemes of Alison and Peter Smithson in London.

But Architectural Forum called the building “one of the most controversial structures put up in the U.S. in some time.”

Unlike many of his Modernist peers, Mr. Rohan said in an interview, Mr. Rudolph “felt the need to respond to the mainly 19th-century historic styles then surrounding the site.”

“He thus decided against a glass-paneled facade, opting for this richly detailed but still Modern shell,” he said. “In this appreciation of urban context, he was far ahead of his time.”

Some architecture enthusiasts detect a paradox. For them, Mr. Rudolph’s architectural experiment offers parallels to some of Mr. Piano’s early triumphs, like the 1977 Pompidou Center in Paris (designed with Richard Rogers), with its exposed mechanical systems.

Many of the precast concrete piers that line the exterior of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Building, for example, are hollow to accommodate the building’s engineering systems, including its heating and cooling. “By moving the structural systems to the exterior, he added to the spaciousness and flexibility of the interior,” Mr. Rohan said.

Mr. Fixler of Docomomo said: “There is a spirit of structural and system experimentation associated with the Rudolph building that is very close to Renzo Piano’s. If it could be saved, it would make a good neighbor to his tower.”

In an interview, Mr. Piano said he wanted his tower to have a “light presence,” hovering above the proposed 70-foot-high public plaza. Without the vast open space, he said, his tower will seem too aggressive, and only demolition of the Rudolph building will make that wide plaza possible.

“I am a great admirer of Rudolph’s and I always ask myself, ‘Can we try to keep a building as a piece of architectural memory?’ ” he said. “But if it is not demolished, we lose the opportunity to create a city square.”

Yet Mr. Piano added that he was under pressure from Mr. Belkin to increase the tower’s width, something he said he could not agree to do. That conflict leaves the project’s outcome even more unclear.

Mr. Piano also designed the new headquarters of The New York Times Company, which is scheduled to open this spring.

In a letter he plans to submit to the Landmarks Commission, Mr. Rohan points out that in 1986 Mr. Rudolph was hired by a former owner of 133 Federal Street to produce a plan for developing that site. Mr. Rudolph, who died in 1997, proposed doubling the building’s size, an idea never realized.

One solution, Mr. Rohan suggested, “might be to use Rudolph’s schemes as the inspiration for the expansion rather than demolition of the structure.”

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:21 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Too bad they can't pull down Boston's City Hall, instead...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:34 PM
Everywhere all at once

As much as I love this proposal, I rele like Paul Rudolph's building. It's a sticky situation...
It bothers me that it doesn't seem like the developer is willing to compromise, while the preservationists are. an odd twist in the story.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
NY Times

In a letter he plans to submit to the Landmarks Commission, Mr. Rohan points out that in 1986 Mr. Rudolph was hired by a former owner of 133 Federal Street to produce a plan for developing that site. Mr. Rudolph, who died in 1997, proposed doubling the building’s size, an idea never realized.

One solution, Mr. Rohan suggested, “might be to use Rudolph’s schemes as the inspiration for the expansion rather than demolition of the structure.”
Because a 26 story brutalist concrete cube would really be much better than a new architectural landmark for the city.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:59 AM

Anybody know about the reality of this thing getting built? Sounds like a stonewall cliche' that we all know to well to happen when large scale projects are attempted

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 9:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post

Oh Dear God, someone make him stop!

That is the most hideous image of Boston I can conceive of.

Yikes!!!

Looks like a disgusting pile of junk, Donald Trump!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:29 PM
Go Pens!

I'd really like to see another view of this tower so i can get a good idea of what it looks like at different angles.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN View Post
I'd really like to see another view of this tower so i can get a good idea of what it looks like at different angles.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

kind of disappointing...i thought maybe with the corner spire there might be some interesting stuff with the facade on the sides we weren't seeing... but i guess not.

I was downtown today, and passed by the garage and Rudolph building where they want to build this. It's such an odd footprint, i don't know how they're going to build a perfectly square tower.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:49 AM
Original Member since '99

would look good in the skyline

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:52 AM
Chaos Machine

^I agree, and I actually like the existing building. It is has something unique about it. I think more unique than Piano's design... I would hardly call it an "architectural landmark".. at least from what has been shown to us.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger47 View Post
It's such an odd footprint, i don't know how they're going to build a perfectly square tower.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 7:44 AM

I just hope the building's rooftop garden won't go the way of that of NYTT.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 3:50 PM

But the rooftop garden IS happening with the NYT. I just corrected Stern on that (in the proper thread) last week, too.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:59 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

Thanks kznyc2k!

Well.......it's a......rectangle.

It's not ugly, but it's not amazing - how's about some decorative crowns or sleek tapering...or something? This might as well be going up in Miami, with their whole "Forest of Boxes" as I'm calling it. (minus The Capitol & The Met3, those projects are pretty nice)

I'm happy for Boston regardless, along with the Southstation tower (which looks a lot nicer imo) & other projects going up - the skyline will definitely be changing! Hopefully Boston will get a couple more taller dynamic/iconic towers (in the 600' - 900' range) to fill in the height gaps.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 6:25 PM

This tower is abosultely wonderful....SIMPLE IS GOOD!!!....and extremely hard to do WELL. If built...this tower has the potential of looking as good 50 years from now as on opening day. Time is very seldom kind to architecture where the buildings functional needs are 'shoe-horned' into some arbitrary building envelope.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive