HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Excuse my laziness, but can someone tell me if this is going to take up 3 blocks like the old renders? I thought this was supposed to have a huge green roof and provide more convention space??
The convention center is a different project. This is just the hotel on the end of those renderings.

The city council is still weighing on if they should fund the convention center expansion and there is a lot of skepticism.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The convention center is a different project. This is just the hotel on the end of those renderings.

The city council is still weighing on if they should fund the convention center expansion and there is a lot of skepticism.
Thank youuuu. I'm hopeful that gets funding, although I'm obviously not following the full convo.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Thank youuuu. I'm hopeful that gets funding, although I'm obviously not following the full convo.
It’s a mess.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...9/puzzle-9-27/
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...Fv29jQM2nbcsK/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:35 PM

They will drag their feet for as long as possible, making decisions fast doesn't seem to be their strong point.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:24 PM

Digging apparently resumed yesterday by the look of the minimal progress. But it's a muddy mess with no digging today.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:29 AM

Is there a webcam for this project or any other highrise development in downtown Austin? Thanks in advance

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Is there a webcam for this project or any other highrise development in downtown Austin? Thanks in advance
https://app.oxblue.com/open/tournee/AustinMarriott

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:26 AM
Meh

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Thank you, Kevin.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Nice find.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Thank you.
Since we're throwing webcam links at you, here's my current favorite. It shows Third + Shoal and Austin Proper.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/DPR/cielo

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:47 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Since we're throwing webcam links at you, here's my current favorite. It shows Third + Shoal and Austin Proper.

Since we have several of these now, I added them to the Capitol View Corridor Map thread. If you know of any others you can add them as well.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=230371

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:24 PM

I am confused about the status of this project. Is construction about to happen? Isn't this on land that was being considered for convention center expansion? I thought the hotel proposal was for a building to go up on top of part of the expanded convention center, using part of the roof of expanded convention center as a platform. Obviously, I am confused. Can somebody provide a simple update with some details. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:27 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think the plan was to have this connected to the expansion, but not quite on top of it. It appears that way, though. I'm assuming the expansion will have doors leading out into the first floor(s) of this hotel.

If I'm mistaken, someone will be sure to correct me.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:29 PM

This project will have a short skywalk connection to the CC if the city ever makes a decision to build the CC expansion.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I am confused about the status of this project. Is construction about to happen? Isn't this on land that was being considered for convention center expansion? I thought the hotel proposal was for a building to go up on top of part of the expanded convention center, using part of the roof of expanded convention center as a platform. Obviously, I am confused. Can somebody provide a simple update with some details. Thanks.
This site was part of the hotel tower recommended in one of the potential recommendations for the CC expansion. It was never set in stone. If they really need the extra half block, I assume that they could take out the half block to the north on which the Railyard Condos sit. I believe the last CC expansion previously took out half of the Railyard.

I think that the Railyard is on borrowed time as it is. At some point, a bunch of money may be thrown at them like the Villas on Town Lake.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I am still curious as to whether construction (as opposed to site clearing) is underway?? Does anybody know how much private exhibit and convention space will be contained in this hotel. I think all the other new big hotels near the CC have upwards of 100,000 sq. ft. each. Will this hotel follow suit?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Oh, wow. That's nice. Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am still curious as to whether construction (as opposed to site clearing) is underway?? Does anybody know how much private exhibit and convention space will be contained in this hotel. I think all the other new big hotels near the CC have upwards of 100,000 sq. ft. each. Will this hotel follow suit?
The last official count I've heard is that it will have 600 rooms and 60,000 sq ft of space. That's significant for its size.

FYI HOTEL RAMBLE: Group hotels (larger convention hotels) put a big emphasis on their rooms to space ratio -- the number of rooms vs the sq footage of meeting space available. The lower the ratio, the better positioned the hotel is to succeed with in-groups and conferences. So in the Marriott's case, they might set aside 400-450 of their total rooms for groups/conventions, leaving the rest for transient business (transient = business travelers, leisure travelers, etc). So the Marriott's 450 group rooms would get 60k sq ft to meet in. That's a LOT.

In larger cities where space is at a premium, rooms to space ratios are very high (easy to build lots of rooms ontop of one another in NYC, for instance, but very hard to add contiguous ballrooms or exhibits halls). Anyhow -- I originally though the Marriott -- because of its small footprint -- would go the way of a bigger city hotel, and function more as a dormitory for the new CC expansion -- lots of rooms for conventions and little meeting space for in-house groups. But that's not the case. They've stacked a lot of meeting space in that podium, and will be a direct competitor of the Hilton across the way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin