HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 5:36 PM

Well, you could this coming after Via's announcement yesterday. No more GO after Thanksgiving week.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...jhs7YUFHyB5kGU

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 4:46 AM
User Registered

'Metrolinx is killing the 4.5 hour long, 1 time per day, weekday only GO train to Toronto.'

What a waste. Do it properly next time or better yet give us that high speed rail / bullet train / maglev dammit!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 11:34 AM

Yeah it was doomed to fail with the schedule they used. Given it was described as an experiment I don't know why they didn't switch up the schedules every 6 months to gather data on usage with different scheduled departures. Why stick with the 5:30am departure for the entire 2 years? They could have adjusted the schedule every 6 months to see how that effected usage.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Yeah it was doomed to fail with the schedule they used. Given it was described as an experiment I don't know why they didn't switch up the schedules every 6 months to gather data on usage with different scheduled departures. Why stick with the 5:30am departure for the entire 2 years? They could have adjusted the schedule every 6 months to see how that effected usage.

The London departure uses a train that currently overnights in Kitchener. It doesn't matter what time you depart London. If you are using the Kitchener Line, you are still looking at 4+hours. Leave at a humane hour from London and you arrive in Toronto in the middle of the day. Near as I can tell from the GO schedule, Kitchener has 7 trains that overnight there. The London departure serves as Kitchener's 5th departure and they have 2 more in their morning bank. So the best London could do would be the front end of their 7th departure, which would mean London would leave one hour later than now, arriving in Toronto at almost 1030am. So I'm not sure what good that does either.

A better experiment would have been to use a train that spent the night at Hamilton or Aldershot, but CN would never have agreed to let GO use that busy line between London and Aldershot anyway. Even still though, it would have to be an early departure to get that train back to the Lakeshore line for the morning rush. Plus you have that VIA train returning to the mix leaving around the same time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure