HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 11:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I have spent many hours looking at old photos of Halifax/Dartmouth, and while I am aware that many nice masonry/stone buildings were lost during the 'slum clearance' or for other reasons, I won't for one second think that Halifax is comparable to Boston on any level. Or even smaller cities like Portland, ME, for that matter.
I find that Portland has more impressive buildings from circa 1880-1920, and is more intact, but similar or less impressive buildings from pre-1880 or so or post-1920. As an illustration I'd ask what buildings you could trade Province House or the Dominion Public Building for that are an obvious step up.

There's the odd building type you see in Portland that Halifax just doesn't have, like the 4 storey brick row on Park Street, but you could make the same observation in the other direction. I don't think Portland has a Dalhousie equivalent for example. This situation reminds me of Saint John.

Boston is a different story. It's a much bigger and older city with much more objectively impressive buildings. However, it still doesn't have ironstone buildings or Scottish dormers nor is it all that colourful, and Haligonians cannot enjoy the buildings in Boston on a day to day basis. In the same way Boston's buildings are less impressive than New York or London but it's still worthwhile since it's qualitatively different.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I find that Portland has more impressive buildings from circa 1880-1920, and is more intact, but similar or less impressive buildings from pre-1880 or so or post-1920. As an illustration I'd ask what buildings you could trade Province House or the Dominion Public Building for that are an obvious step up.

There's the odd building type you see in Portland that Halifax just doesn't have, like the 4 storey brick row on Park Street, but you could make the same observation in the other direction. I don't think Portland has a Dalhousie equivalent for example. This situation reminds me of Saint John.

Boston is a different story. It's a much bigger and older city with much more objectively impressive buildings. However, it still doesn't have ironstone buildings or Scottish dormers nor is it all that colourful, and Haligonians cannot enjoy the buildings in Boston on a day to day basis. In the same way Boston's buildings are less impressive than New York or London but it's still worthwhile since it's qualitatively different.
I think leaving out the first sentence in your quote of my original post changes the context of what I was trying to say:
Quote:
I have long observed that NS has a higher percentage of wooden construction to masonry construction than comparable cities in the US.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 3:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think leaving out the first sentence in your quote of my original post changes the context of what I was trying to say:
I dunno. If you went back to 1940 you'd find that a large proportion of buildings from about Morris over to Cornwallis were masonry and this is roughly comparable to the brick-dominated footprint in Portland. Then you've got areas like the Hydrostone. Portland seems to have more detached brick houses and apartments while Halifax may have and almost certainly originally had more masonry row housing. I think a lot of the perceived difference today is due to demolitions and modern development that detracts from the feeling of historical cohesiveness. I have seen a considerable stock of brick buildings torn down while I've been watching in Halifax, like the Roy Building which would have been one of the bigger old brick buildings in Portland, or the rows along South Street or Spring Garden Road.

Last edited by someone123; Apr 21, 2022 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
I dunno. If you went back to 1940 you'd find that a large proportion of buildings from about Morris over to Cornwallis were masonry and this is roughly comparable to the brick-dominated footprint in Portland. Then you've got areas like the Hydrostone. Portland seems to have more detached brick houses and apartments while Halifax may have and almost certainly originally had more masonry row housing. I think a lot of the perceived difference today is due to demolitions and modern development that detracts from the feeling of historical cohesiveness. I have seen a considerable stock of brick buildings torn down while I've been watching in Halifax, like the Roy Building which would have been one of the bigger old brick buildings in Portland, or the rows along South Street or Spring Garden Road.
Perhaps you're right, but that hasn't been my perception. Too bad we don't have Google streetside views that date back into the 1800s as it would make discussions of this type much easier!

Anyhow, I think we're starting to clog up the Richmond Yards thread with off-topic stuff, so I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:15 PM

Better jump on this quick folks - you have an opportunity to restore the character of the city!
https://www.viewpoint.ca/map#eyJvdmV...9pZCI6IjEifX19

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Better jump on this quick folks - you have an opportunity to restore the character of the city!
https://www.viewpoint.ca/map#eyJvdmV...9pZCI6IjEifX19
I thought they were going for more than $600k at this point. Maybe prices will come down in the next year or two as interest rates go up. A couple of years ago you could buy a Halifax house for the price difference between a 2 or 3 BR Vancouver condo.

I've often considered "putting my money where my mouth is" and buying some really ugly properties (I'd pick the worst ones, so that Hydrostone house wouldn't qualify; that smaller house with the mansard roof that got a vinyl hack job might due to its prominence) and making them into what I think is ideal. But prices went up a lot and I live quite far away now. Maybe one day.

Another thing I wonder about is trying to apply modern technology like CNC milling to mass-producing high-quality wood elements in the local style. It would be more of a fun project than an attempted money-making venture. Part of the goal would just be to offer a relatively affordable supply of those items so that people restoring their little wooden rowhouses wouldn't pay as much of a premium to go with something nicer than vinyl.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I thought they were going for more than $600k at this point.
The strategy for sellers in this market (over the past 2 years) has been to list low to attract as many offers as possible, thereby driving up the final sale price. The average sale price on the peninsula last month was about 20% over asking. There were 2 Hydrostone townhomes sold in March - they went for $707k and $770k respectively.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
I thought they were going for more than $600k at this point. Maybe prices will come down in the next year or two as interest rates go up. A couple of years ago you could buy a Halifax house for the price difference between a 2 or 3 BR Vancouver condo.
That house does seem priced low. It's a bit dated, decor-wise, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. I'd bet it's priced low to spark bidding.

[EDIT: I see someone made this point before me!]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth