HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:45 PM
BANNED

2019 BC Budget

https://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2019/default.htm

PS: Wasn't the small business tax rate already changed to 2% back in 2017?

Last edited by misher; Feb 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:15 PM

Budget at a glance: 10 key takeaways from B.C.'s 2019 provincial budget
  • New child-care benefit...
  • ... But no daycare
  • Interest-free student loans
  • Increases to disability, income assistance rates
  • Lottery funds for First Nation communities
  • ICBC still a big concern
  • Housing moderation
  • Clean B.C. rebates
  • Wildfire efforts but no structural changes
  • Transit stays on track
More details in the article

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Budget at a glance: 10 key takeaways from B.C.'s 2019 provincial budget
  • New child-care benefit...
  • ... But no daycare
  • Increases to disability, income assistance rates
  • Lottery funds for First Nation communities
  • ICBC still a big concern
  • Housing moderation
  • Clean B.C. rebates
  • Wildfire efforts but no structural changes
  • Transit stays on track

http://udi.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/....C.-Budget.pdf
Huge decreases in housing starts predicted. From 43,664 in 2017 to 30,517 in 2021. Prepare for prices and rents to skyrocket!!!!!!

Things here are going to get very ugly. Is the NDP purposely killing housing supply and worsening the housing crisis to stay in power? I was shocked that the NDP is lowering supply creation in response to our housing crisis and predicted immigration increases.

There predicting property tax increases and spec+school tax increases which means there predicting home values will rise.
Quote:
Despite falling housing start volumes, revenue generated by the new speculation and vacancy taxes is anticipated to be relatively high – increasing from $87 million in 2019/20 to $185 million for each of the forthcoming three fiscal years.
There also predicting businesses are going to lose money big time
Quote:
However, corporate income tax will see a significant drop from $5.132 billion in 2018/19 to $4.192 billion in 2019/20, before rebounding to $4.859 billion in 2021/22.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Sigh.... what's the point in hardworking people that had student loans and busted their hump and paid off their loans in full and in advance, like me? I didn't expect any nanny state to help me out. I worked hard, made sacrifices and did my duty.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sigh.... what's the point in hardworking people that had student loans and busted their hump and paid off their loans in full and in advance, like me? I didn't expect any nanny state to help me out. I worked hard, made sacrifices and did my duty.
That's what this country is coming to, somewhere where no one is responsible for their actions.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ousing-market/

B.C. budget includes no new taxes, relies on rebound in housing market to increase revenue

Last edited by misher; Feb 20, 2019 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
http://udi.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/....C.-Budget.pdf
Huge decreases in housing starts predicted. From 43,664 in 2017 to 30,517 in 2021. Prepare for prices and rents to skyrocket!!!!!!

Things here are going to get very ugly. Is the NDP purposely killing housing supply and worsening the housing crisis to stay in power? I was shocked that the NDP is lowering supply creation in response to our housing crisis and predicted immigration increases..
What are you talking about?

The government has no say in what gets built, that is merely their forecasting. Given that housing sales have dropped off a cliff since buyers couldn't spirit money out of China so easily, it is perfectly prudent to forecast a decrease in starts. Unless you think developers should keep building when there is no demand?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

The government has no say in what gets built, that is merely their forecasting. Given that housing sales have dropped off a cliff since buyers couldn't spirit money out of China so easily, it is perfectly prudent to forecast a decrease in starts. Unless you think developers should keep building when there is no demand?
You don't see how this is going to cause a massive housing crisis in the future along with raising unemployment? We're literally stopping construction of 30% of our rental and strata units by 2021.

The NDP is also predicting rising taxes on real estate which only comes when home prices go up.

The amount of people immigrating into BC is increasing while the amount of housing were building is decreasing, you don't see the problem with this?

I know you generally disagree with everything I say on principle but surely you must be against prices rising and home supply decreasing.....where are people going to live.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:22 AM

Quote:

You didn't know the BC NDP has this super secret cabal that has brainwashed the developers into building what they're told to?

For more details on the budget, check this out.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
You don't see how this is going to cause a massive housing crisis in the future along with raising unemployment? We're literally stopping construction of 30% of our rental and strata units by 2021.

The NDP is also predicting rising taxes on real estate which only comes when home prices go up.

The amount of people immigrating into BC is increasing while the amount of housing were building is decreasing, you don't see the problem with this?

I know you generally disagree with everything I say on principle but surely you must be against prices rising and home supply decreasing.....where are people going to live.
Do you understand how the housing market works?

If developers saw the demand you claim there is, they will build it, regardless of what the government forecasts.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:

If developers saw the demand you claim there is, they will build it, regardless of what the government forecasts.
We need more housing and instead we're putting more taxes on developers and chasing them out. Come on man surely you must see something wrong with this. We're creating a massive housing crisis in the future much worse than the current one.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:54 AM
retro_orange

Quote:

He's just sowing discord.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:05 PM

Does this really have to be its own thread? Put it in the BC politics one, misher stop cluttering the forum!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics