HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 7:58 PM

Sunshine List for 2017

And it is sunnier than ever for these government employees.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...sure-1.4589673

I am sick and tired seeing some of these individuals making such outrageous taxpayer money. There should be a cap on what some of these government CEO's can make. Our Prime Minister makes less than them...
For example:
Sick Children's hospital CEO making more than 730K!
OPG CEO more than 1.5 million!

I mean come on people, this is taxpayer monies. What are they actually doing to deserve this much? Our city of London list of individuals has grown too.
No wonder why people want to only work for the government in Canada and not the private sector.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:04 PM
Sanity merchant

Yea, I'm kinda alright with a bunch of this.. These people are running companies with 100's, 1000's, or in some 10,000's of employees, and serving so many multiples more. Their jobs aren't always easy, nor are they always credited with what work they do, but I'm personally ok with most of it. I don't make near what they do, and I bust my ass more than them, but that's the breaks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 3:46 AM
The Vomit Bag.

taxpayers money, customers money, whatever. You pay the person what they are worth for the job.

goddamed sunshine list is stuck at 100K since 1996!

this is not a lot of money for many positions of responsibility (budgetary, people, or otherwise).

100K in 1996 is about 60K today. Not a lot of money.

I work in the university sector and 2/3 of the year I work 65 hours a week, and the rest of the year 55+ hours a week. Took 4 university degrees, a student debt of well over 100K, and years of foregone earnings to make it as a Professor. As a researcher, I can assure you: Brainwork is fucking hard work (I worked for years in the private sector: manual labor, services, management: you name it, so I do know what I am talking about). I am not overpaid, considering the work I do and the relative rareness of my skillset.

please keep the doug ford-style self-righteous but ill-informed rage out of this thread.

Quote:
Threshold would be $151K in today's dollars

The $100,000 salary threshold for disclosure has not changed since the legislation came into force in 1996, and has not been adjusted to keep up with inflation.

The government says if the salary threshold was adjusted for inflation, it would be $151,929 in today's dollars, reducing the number of employees included on the list by 85 per cent.
CBC

May I also remind you that we all pay taxes too, just like you do.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 24, 2018 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Newly minted Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford called the disclosure a list of "Ontario's richest political insiders".
That's rich, coming from Mr. Fucking Former Hash-dealer that wouldn't be worth a dime-bag's worth of Hash if his father didn't leave him millions.

I fucking can't stand these carpet-bagging charlatan populists.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...dealer/314893/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 6:28 AM

I heard on the news that if the list had been updated with inflation that there would be 25000 names on it instead of the 135000 or so names. I wonder how that 25000 would compare to percentage of the workforce compared to the first year the list was made.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 6:40 AM

Does Doug Ford have a problem with the vast majority of the Toronto Police Service being on the list?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:41 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^of course, because some of them sought to shut down his Hash-dealing business in the 80s.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:56 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
taxpayers money, customers money, whatever. You pay the person what they are worth for the job.

goddamed sunshine list is stuck at 100K since 1996!

this is not a lot of money for many positions of responsibility (budgetary, people, or otherwise).

100K in 1996 is about 60K today. Not a lot of money.

I work in the university sector and 2/3 of the year I work 65 hours a week, and the rest of the year 55+ hours a week. Took 4 university degrees, a student debt of well over 100K, and years of foregone earnings to make it as a Professor. As a researcher, I can assure you: Brainwork is fucking hard work (I worked for years in the private sector: manual labor, services, management: you name it, so I do know what I am talking about). I am not overpaid, considering the work I do and the relative rareness of my skillset.

please keep the doug ford-style self-righteous but ill-informed rage out of this thread.

CBC

May I also remind you that we all pay taxes too, just like you do.
Well said. Context is something some people love to ignore, if not forget.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:59 PM
User Registered

Quote:

I think that the sunshine list should have people that work directly for the government. Examples being employees of the Ministry of health, transportation, education, etc.

Having universities, crown corporations, etc. on the list doesn't make sense. Yes I know they receive some support from the province, but they are they are their own businesses. Only a portion of their salaries is provided by the province, the rest is by private dollars.

Just my take on it.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I think that the sunshine list should have people that work directly for the government. Examples being employees of the Ministry of health, transportation, education, etc.

Having universities, crown corporations, etc. on the list doesn't make sense. Yes I know they receive some support from the province, but they are they are their own businesses. Only a portion of their salaries is provided by the province, the rest is by private dollars.

Just my take on it.
Just wanted to agree with your comment, that is how the list should be released.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:23 PM

Don't agree with you. Makes perfect sense.

These are the BPS (Broader Public Sector) agencies of Government who get a major portion of their budget directly from Government. The OPS is only around 65,000 employees and the BPS is many times larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post

Just my take on it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Why not publish everyone's salary? The levels of skills and responsibilities required for high level jobs is no different in the public and private sectors. Running a hospital is a huge, huge budgetary responsibility.

As an academic, I do not work for the government; I work for a university. And it is none of anyone's fucking business what my salary is, least of all some idiots that get bent out of shape from the depths of their ignorance as they eat their tim hortons with a Toronto Sun paper.

And I pay a huge amount in taxes (I am in the top tax bracket), despite my lingering student debt (14 years after graduating with my PhD).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Why not publish everyone's salary? The levels of skills and responsibilities required for high level jobs is no different in the public and private sectors. Running a hospital is a huge, huge budgetary responsibility.

As an academic, I do not work for the government; I work for a university. And it is none of anyone's fucking business what my salary is, least of all some idiots that get bent out of shape from the depths of their ignorance as they eat their tim hortons with a Toronto Sun paper.

And I pay a huge amount in taxes (I am in the top tax bracket), despite my lingering student debt (14 years after graduating with my PhD).
For some of those administrators, you can point to the sunshine list to say that public sector administrators are delivering fantastic value for their salaries compared to their private sector equivalents. You're right: someone running a hospital is operating at a level of responsibility equivalent to the CEO of a large company with hundreds of employees. All that for a few hundred thousand dollars? We're getting a bargain, as provincial taxpayers.

I don't want to offend, but you complaining about idiots complaining over their Tim Horton's and Toronto Sun, and then commenting on the amount of tax you pay, is kind of rich. It knocks me out when people complain about being in the top tax bracket- there are some good reasons why we have progressive income taxation. Not many people who complain about being in a higher bracket would give their last raise back.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Because it is often the people that pay the least in taxes that complain the most about them. And that goes for the 1% as well as the bottom 30%.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
For some of those administrators, you can point to the sunshine list to say that public sector administrators are delivering fantastic value for their salaries compared to their private sector equivalents. You're right: someone running a hospital is operating at a level of responsibility equivalent to the CEO of a large company with hundreds of employees. All that for a few hundred thousand dollars? We're getting a bargain, as provincial taxpayers.

I don't want to offend, but you complaining about idiots complaining over their Tim Horton's and Toronto Sun, and then commenting on the amount of tax you pay, is kind of rich. It knocks me out when people complain about being in the top tax bracket- there are some good reasons why we have progressive income taxation. Not many people who complain about being in a higher bracket would give their last raise back.
Not "raise", but I'll be working less this year and happily earning less. At some point, when you're only taking home about half of your income its no longer worth the sweat/effort/liability (the last one is a biggie in my field).

Agreed that the list needs to be updated for inflation - 100K a year is merely a "good" salary these days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy