HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
The minimum wage is not the solution to everything, I think $15cdn is probably about right for middle-Ontario for daytime, weekday work.

Adding tax relief targeted at lower income workers, better supports for those w/kids, and truly comprehensive healthcare could make such an existence manageable, if tight.

But in areas like Toronto or anywhere in Ontario where core cost-of-living is more than 20% above provincial norms, I think a higher minimum wage is going to be in order.

It can't be completely disproportionate to the rest of the province, but something extra will be needed.

Perhaps an extra 15%, so that minimum in Toronto would be $17.25 per hour. To make that work, you still need the above discussed tax relief, expanded health care and other supports.
I think something like this needs to be done, places like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City (and others I am missing I am sure) would benefit from a structure like this.

I honestly do not understand how some people can even afford to live in Toronto even on an average salary let alone minimum wage.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy