HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 2:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I drive on and under that bridge a few times, as recently as Tuesday, and there weren't any workers on or under the bridge doing work.
If a bridge is found to be deficient before such a finding is expected, but still safe, they'll limit the weight that can pass over it (hence the two lanes) and work to design a repair or replacement and find funding. There is a bridge north of Dauphin like that. It was reduced from two lanes to one last year. A fix is not forthcoming until 2018 because of budgets and previously acknowledged priorities. I would imagine something right in the perimeter will be a higher priority though.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:58 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
If a bridge is found to be deficient before such a finding is expected, but still safe, they'll limit the weight that can pass over it (hence the two lanes) and work to design a repair or replacement and find funding. There is a bridge north of Dauphin like that. It was reduced from two lanes to one last year. A fix is not forthcoming until 2018 because of budgets and previously acknowledged priorities. I would imagine something right in the perimeter will be a higher priority though.
If that's the case, then so be it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 5:06 PM

There was, and may still be, the bridge on the Portage bypass that had a closed lane for years. I think a truck hit the bridge and they removed the concrete girders.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:36 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was, and may still be, the bridge on the Portage bypass that had a closed lane for years. I think a truck hit the bridge and they removed the concrete girders.
Yeah, it's still there, or lack there-of. When I was driving to job sites west of Winnipeg, I see that bridge with the missing girder piece whenever I drive under that overpass.

I guess there are no funds allocated to do a full repair or full replacement...?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:11 AM
Heart of the Continent

I don't see why they need two lanes on that bridge. The rebuild may be of a different design when it eventually happens.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:24 PM

The City is proceeding with detailed design and estimates for the Arlington Bridge replacement:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...wman-1.3675485

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:23 PM

Putting the Arlington Bridge on hold while studying rail relocation sunk when the Waverly Underpass was pushed through before the rail relocation report.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:33 PM

And the rail relocation report is now cancelled from what we've heard. Or on hold pending Pallister doing something.

Copied/moved this post to Arlington Bridge thread.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 5:38 PM

Random idea: what are everyone's thoughts on decorating the RT barrier wall along Donald? It looks prime for great art, it's such a desolate stretch along the AT path there. I personally would love to see it given the Bondi Beach (Australia) wall treatment, with quality graffiti/street art commissioned.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 7:53 PM
There is always a way

Honestly I think any concrete that is only serving to add blandness to the urban environment should get the Bondi Beach treatment. Get the city looking like Valparaiso please. That city is amazing!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 2:18 PM

Should get it painted with art! The City has public art budgets , albeit small, in place on a lot of the new larger infrastructure projects. Stage 2 transitway will have some public art included at key, high visibility locations. It's up to the Winnipeg art council, group whatever to figure out exactly what goes in.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And the rail relocation report is now cancelled from what we've heard. Or on hold pending Pallister doing something.

Copied/moved this post to Arlington Bridge thread.
The "just move the rail yards" was unrealistic from the get go, there was nothing in it for the railway, neither the city or province could afford to chip in and the federal govt. will soon be in that boat when the transfer payments from Alberta dry up in a year or two ( not sure on the length of the current agreement). The whole thing was pie in the sky in the first place! Beside's the fool of a PM seems to like to spend tax dollars outside the country more than inside!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The "just move the rail yards" was unrealistic from the get go, there was nothing in it for the railway, neither the city or province could afford to chip in and the federal govt. will soon be in that boat when the transfer payment from Alberta dry up in a year or two ( not sure on the length of the current agreement). The whole thing was pie in the sky in the first place!
All good points. And most importantly I do not see how it will improve quality of life for Winnipeggers. People have some kind of fantastical notion of a beautiful new neighbourhood springing up on the CP yard site when in reality many sheltered suburbanites will not set foot anywhere around there. Let's do the heavy lifting of improving the North End/Centennial neighbourhoods to create demand for land around there first... a lot less sexy and fun I know, but otherwise it's destined to fail.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 7:14 PM

If someone offered you a build lot for free two blocks away from Selkirk and Arlington would you build your new family home there and live in it for the next ten years?

Until people start answer yes to that exact question redeveloping the CP yard is at best an exercise in urban planning and not something that will realistically happen. And just to further clarify, the single family lots in a redeveloped CP yard would not be free.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:54 PM

For me the problem is not the train tracks there but the people in the area that would turn me off from building there

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If someone offered you a build lot for free two blocks away from Selkirk and Arlington would you build your new family home there and live in it for the next ten years?

Until people start answer yes to that exact question redeveloping the CP yard is at best an exercise in urban planning and not something that will realistically happen. And just to further clarify, the single family lots in a redeveloped CP yard would not be free.
No I wouldn't. The issues go far deeper than moving the yards.

I think for those that really don't understand the issues were talking about, some serious time should be spent in the neighborhoods bordering the yards. It's complicated, some may have experienced it others may not have as much familiarity with the problems present today..

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:16 PM

^^ Spot on. The issues making the north end an undesirable place to live have little to do with the CP yard. Let's look at it way:

Would you live at Wosely and Arlington?
What about Arlington and Portage?
What about Arlington and Ellice?

All those all well south of the CP yard. Chances are for the right price people would live at Wosely and Arlington but decline the other two. The CP yard doesn't separate those areas.

If as a community Winnipeg wants to make the inner city a more desirable place to live the issue isn't one of roads, trains or rail yards dividing the community. Relocating rail isn't going to address those issues either.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:35 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

East St. Paul Birds Hill Road & Hwy. 59

Sorry I can't find a web page with this Notice, but I got an e-mail from East St. Paul regarding Birds Hill Road...

PUBLIC NOTICE - Hwy 59 & PR 202 (Birds Hill Road)

Northbound traffic on PTH 59 is set to be rerouted overnight on Wednesday July 20th, due to the construction of a new intersection at PTH 59 and PR 202 (Birds Hill Road). This may cause travel delays, particularly during peak travel times in the morning and evening rush hour.

PTH 59 will be undergoing a switchover of the north bound lanes onto the newly paved lanes in the vicinity of PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) and PTH 59 intersection. As a result of this switchover, southbound traffic on PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) will not be able to turn northbound onto PTH 59. All traffic wishing to go northbound on PTH 59 will be required to use the Camsell Avenue detour to PTH 59.

Southbound traffic on PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) to southbound on PTH 59 will remain open.

Northbound traffic on PTH 59 will still be able to turn northbound onto PR 202 (Birds Hill Road).

Rural Municipality of East St. Paul

Unit 1 - 3021 Birds Hill Rd, East St. Paul, MB R2E 1A7
Phone: (204) 668-8112
Fax: (204) 668-1987
Email: info@eaststpaul.com
www.eaststpaul.com

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:10 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

From EastStPaul.com e-mail:

Quote:
An updated schedule for the reconstruction of PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) has recently been provided and the contractor will be shifting PR 202 traffic to the west side of the roadway and undertaking the removal of the existing northbound lanes.

As a result of the reconstruction on PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) by the Province, Bracken Avenue and Elliot Road will be closed at PR 202 beginning overnight of July 22nd until the construction is completed within the vicinity of the intersection.

Temporary closures will also be in place for Spatuck Road at PR 202 (Birds Hill Road) and the East St. Paul Administration Office and RCMP access. The East St. Paul Administration Office and RCMP Offices can be accessed through a rear entrance from the approach at 2025 Camsell Avenue.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:23 PM

I went through there last weekend going to the farmers market and there's a lot going on. Right from inside the town of Birds Hill out to the highway. Looks like it will be pretty nice once complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan