HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:48 PM
Dandy Lion

My father still gives me shit for going to places like JP and Roxbury. Those neighborhoods are dirty words to people from across the Charles. Ironically Somerville (where he lives) used to have a shitty reputation too.

Thanks for the tour Expat! Mission Hill is one of my favorite Boston neighborhoods. You really should travel up the hill though, its quite a nice walk.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoston View Post
My father still gives me shit for going to places like JP and Roxbury. Those neighborhoods are dirty words to people from across the Charles. Ironically Somerville (where he lives) used to have a shitty reputation too.

Thanks for the tour Expat! Mission Hill is one of my favorite Boston neighborhoods. You really should travel up the hill though, its quite a nice walk.
he gives you crap about going there when he lives in somerville? ROFLMAO!!!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:24 PM
Red October standing by

great tour. i've been editing a lot of "through the window" pics from a police ride-along here and understand your frustration, although a lot of them come out with a nice artistic touch, kind of like the soft focus on this one

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:43 PM

That's right LSyd. I had to ditch a lot of through-the-window pics because there was no redeeming value. But, some of them could be saved with a little cropping or adjusting the exposure, etc. Some were left with a soften look like this, some had to have the colors juiced up to work. And a couple were most interesting in their nasty raw form. If you look at the thread I just posted, Canvassing & Pedlers Not Allowed, West End Malden, there is a through-the-window picture from inside the T station, with ambulance & police lights. I love that picture. Perhaps you captured some of the police lights through the window in the set you are working on now. Despite being a sign of trouble & tragedy, it can be quite beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:09 PM

Heath Street marks the (informal) boundary between Mission Hill and Jamaica Plain (all these areas were originally part of Roxbury). The E line used to continue along South Huntington Ave to Centre and South Streets to the Arborway yards, at Washington St and Arborway. The T will do all in its power to resist ever reviving that service (they feel that fixed rail streetcars in a traffic-filled world can't be made to run on schedule and that buses deliver better service at much lower cost.) As it is, the E line shares the roadway with cars from Brigham Circle to Heath St. To get to Jamaica Plain, you take the #39 bus along Huntington Ave (which replaces the E line service beyond Heath Street) or take the orange line subway to Jackson, Stony Brook, or Green Street. As others have said, JP is well worth a camera tour, but it's a big area. I like the Victorian mansions on Sumner Hill (Greenough Ave and thereabouts) and Parley Vale, the three-decker blocks off Centre Street like Paul Gore, Boylston, and Spring Park Ave, the old elite quarter around Burroughs and Eliot Streets on the "plain" in Jamaica Plain, and the beautiful parklands including the 'pond' and the Arnold Arboretum.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos