HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:45 AM
Honored Member

Fort Wayne, Indiana West Central (Melting) Snow, February 12, 2011

Fort Wayne West Central (Melting) Snow, February 12, 2011

I bought myself a lens for Christmas, a Tamron 28-75mm zoom (Model A09) and still needed to check
it out. The weather has been too foul for me to spend any time outside until today, when sun and
warming temperatures arrived. Although the true test will be making a large print, so far I think it's a keeper.

All Photographs Copyright © 2011 by Robert E Pence

We had a fair accumulation of snow from before and after the "blizzard" that didn't really materialize
on February 1. Accumulation has become less evident as packing and evaporation have taken their
toll, and the weather forecast called for above-freezing temperatures for the next several days. I
wanted to get some photos before it all went away.

I took this photo from my front stoop on February 1 as snow fell densely and winds gusted to 45 mph.
That only lasted for a short while, and not for the several hours that had been forecast.

My patio. After my photo tour I dug out my trash cart and recycling bin and parked them in front of the garage where they'd be easer to use.

Views north and east from my corner.

Saint Marys River, looking toward Swinney Park across the street from my house.

River Greenway, diligently kept plowed by the parks department.

My street has been closed since last August and will remain that way for a while, pending completion
of riverbank and greenway work.

These houses were built by a businessman as a pair in 1919, the one on the left for him and his wife and the one on the right for their daughters. I've
owned the one on the right since 1972, and lived there until 1989.

Looking east on Wayne Street from Thieme Drive. The westernmost couple of blocks of Wayne Street,
between Thieme Drive and College Street, were developed beginning in 1911 after being vacated by
Fort Wayne College, the predecessor of Taylor University. Mostly these photos of Wayne Street will
be of houses on the north side of the street, because the snow and low southern sun create harsh,
nearly-unmanageable backlighting in the opposite direction.

This home was built in 1911 by the Latz Family, then owners of Wolf & Dessauer, the Fort Wayne area's premier department store. They lived here until
1937, I believe, when they built a palatial mansion on Covington Road. Since then the house has contained five apartments. Between 1967 and 1971 I lived
in an upstairs apartment that ran the length of the right side of the house. I was told that the drive-out basement garage on the left side originally
accomodated an electric automobile.

Designed by architects Wing & Mahurin, this house was built in 1905 for Paul B. Mossman, then president of Mossman-Yarnelle, a heavy hardware
distributor. Mossman donated the house to the city in 1958, and from then until 1983 it housed the Fort Wayne Art Museum. Now it is a private
residence and art gallery.

Here's what I wrote originally about the house below:
"This house was built built in 1886 and was owned after 1910 by Winfield S. Bash, a salesman for Mayflower Mills. The third story of the tower was added
sometime prior to Mr. Bash's ownership, and the current front porch dates to around 1920."<p />

Here's an update and a historic photo, courtesy of Don Orban, preservation planner for the city:
"The photo of 1128 W. Wayne is from a series of folios called “Fort Wayne Illustrated” published in 1889. Notice the name under the photo. This house was later owned by George H. Van Arnam
(Van Arnam Manufacturing – plumbing supplies). In the “Fort Wayne – With Might and Main” booklet published in 1911, the house is identified with Van Arnam’s name and shows the third floor on the tower.
At this point it’s purely guess work as to whether Bash made the additions toward the end of his ownership or Van Arnam at the start of his. My guess would be with Van Arnam."

Here's what I wrote originially about the house below:
"Right now I don't have any history on this house. I've seen old photos of it with all its original features including a wrap-around Queen Anne
porch, and without the frame addition on the back. In my earliest memory (1960s) it was a doctor's office (I think), and I believe it may have
been vacant for a while. The current owners appear to be doing a lot of work, and they've attended to important structural items like window
repair and replacement, probably quite expensive considering that several are curved."

Here's some updated info and historic photo from Don Orban:
"The other image is a scan from a reprint of a booklet called “Art Souvenir of the Fort Wayne Gazette 1894”. It shows the house at 1030
W. Wayne as the R.W.T DeWald house. Robert W.T. DeWald was the oldest son of George DeWald (George Dewald & Co. Dry Goods).
He started working for his father in 1876 at age 15 and eventually became president. He married in 1889 and built the house around 1893.
(info from the 2010 West Central Tour booklet)"

Note the Italianate house in the background of the historic photo. That's the Fleming house. I have vague memories of it from about 1960.
It was razed in the 1960s to create a parking lot.

This house is one of the few surviving wood-framed houses designed by Wing & Mahurin. It was built in 1887 for Ronald T. McDonald, an electric lighting
pioneer who founded Jenney Electric Company, a predecessor of the GE Broadway facility. The home later was owned by Myron Dessauer, a partner in
Wolf & Dessauer Department Store.

I lived here for about a year before I bought my first house in 1972. It didn't look that good, then; it was slathered with gray asbestos siding that
covered all the interesting architectural details, and suffered from lots of deferred maintenance. The kitchen floor had about a two-degree list from
foundation settling due to lack of functioning gutters and downspouts. At least if I dropped anything I knew which way it would roll.

Designed by Wing & Mahurin, this house was built in 1885 for successful businessman John Claus Peters. Peters started as a cabinetmaker, later went
into the fine hardwood lumber business, and then incorporated the Horton Washing Machine Company. Horton made the first mechanical washing
machines sold in the area, and by 1924 half the washing machines in the world were supplied by Horton. John C. Peters was the grandfather of actress
and Fort Wayne native Carole Lombard, whose birth name was Jane Alice Peters.

This house was built about 1872 for paint merchant James C. Wilmot, his wife, and their four children.
Until recently it was covered with aluminum siding and had faux-wrought iron porch supports. Recent
restoration has returned it to its cottage-like appearance.

Built pre-1855 for U.S. Congressman (?) Brenton. More information will follow.

Usually a great deal of care and planning goes into my photos, but sometimes a picture just happens.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Feb 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:56 AM

Great pictures! You have a ncie classic neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 2:15 AM

Beautiful neighborhood and enjoyed getting the background info.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 2:36 AM
Closed account

You're very fortunate to live in such a picture perfect neigborhood!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 2:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I've said it before, but it bears repeating that Fort Wayne gives the impression of being an eminently livable city.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:27 AM

Great shots and superb buildings - good to see that so many are being looked after so carefully.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:31 PM

Great photos...interesting history of your part of the City...thanks. I passed through Fort Wayne on the interstate this summer and to be honest never saw anything this nice...if I had known I would have had lunch there....the timing would have been right.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:50 PM
3rd Coast King

Nice photos. Fort Wayne looks great in the winter. Great houses. I liked the commentary too.

My Book

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 2:38 PM

Great looking homes!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:44 PM

Some very cool houses around there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:42 PM
Honored Member

Thanks, all. I'm glad you enjoyed. Even though I live on the fringe of the historic district in an unimpressive house, I've enjoyed the character of the area since a little before 1960.

I just added a couple of historic photos and some notes that I received from a city historic preservation planner. Check them out.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Feb 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
Meh

Great thread. I love how old houses have a lot of windows taking advantage of sunlight and fresh air. They really had a sense of energy efficiency.

That last pic is hilarious, Rob. haha

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:17 PM
Honored Member

Thanks, everyone. Fort Wayne has several neighborhoods dating to the late 19th and early 20th century that have survived in salvageable shape and that have been attracting the attention of preservationists and restorers in recent years.

The only thing I miss is having stores to supply essentials and amenities within walkable distance; everything has gone to big boxes five miles away or more, with no access except by car or a bus route that runs within a quarter mile on an hourly basis. In the 1960s and 1970s we still had two supermarkets, a hardware store, two pharmacies, a dry cleaner, and a Chinese laundry within a fifteen-minute walk or a quick bike ride. On Broadway, the commercial core, were a butcher and a baker. A candlestick maker lived and worked in an old house nearby, until he overheated a pot of wax one night while high and burned the place down.

Property values have appreciated nicely with the designation of a historic district. I bought my first house, the one on the right in this photo:

in 1972 for $13K, and now even with the depressed housing market I probably could get $100K for it. In 1977 I gave the owner of the house where I now
live $4,500 for his equity and assumed a GI loan with a $10K balance. Now I'd guess it it would sell for around $80K - $90K. It would do better if it weren't
on an arterial street with untamed loud, fast traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
That last pic is hilarious, Rob. haha
That one fell into my lap. I was headed for home, done with my picture taking and walking in the street because some people never shovel their walks. I noticed the front license plate on the van, and then looked up and saw the runners about a block away. All I had to do was compose the shot and wait.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:19 PM

You fed my curiosity. I've been wondering how areas of this city appeared like.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:09 AM
Meh

That's actually really reasonable, Rob. How many square feet are those houses? They look like they're in very good condition and are beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 1:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's actually really reasonable, Rob. How many square feet are those houses? They look like they're in very good condition and are beautiful.
One of the big selling points for Fort Wayne is that housing is very reasonable in some of the core neighborhoods that are in good condition. The brick house is about 1200 square feet plus a clean, dry basement, and the yellow frame house on the corner where I live is about 1600, with a full basement except for the add-on room on the front corner. I expect the value to go up as the economy picks up and as more people become oriented toward walkable neighborhoods and alternative transportation.

The success of Parkview Field, the new downtown ballpark, already as had a positive influence on neighborhood property values and and has brought an uptick in business for downtown eating-and-drinking establishments.

I'm fortunate in that I bought at a time when the neighborhood still was considered sketchy; I did have a couple of breakins and some failed attempts in the late seventies and early eighties. Now there's an active neighborhood association and an emphasis on code enforcement to maintain quality and on keeping an eye on some of the known problem residents from the "other side of the tracks."

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 6:13 PM

Looks like Rochester NY. Awesome stuff. My friends live in your town. I kind remember riding our bikes through your nieghborhood, and a bike trail along a river as I recall..

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 11:44 PM

Great photos Robert and that Tamron worked supurbly, has the temps got a lil bit warmer lately?

Back a week and a half ago it got down to -27 here in Castle Rock CO but it since got up in the upper 50s...

Scott

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos