HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:39 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I'll be nice to this guy, LMich.

Um, you have been to Ann Arbor, right?

Yes.

I'm sorry, but your above comment is so absurd. Are you arguing just for arguments sake?

I wouldn't waste my time in this thread if I were.

Ann Arbor is a hugely pedestrian town.

Never denied that.

Yes, they have cars. But if you have ever driven there, you would know that it is a bitch because of all the foot traffic.

This has nothing to do with the campus.

I was a delivery guy in college, and it was impossible to drive in Ann Arbor. Not because of other cars, but because of all the people walking around.

Well, that's a nice story. I hope it wasn't Domino's.

Your observations are so distorted as to what A2 really is.

Again, what does this have to do with the campus?

THe town heavily punishes car owners through limited parking and riduculous fines. The truth, like Hayward stated, is that A2 is so dense.

Ann Arbor, residentially, is not dense but the commercial areas are. But that AGAIN has nothing to do with the campus.

Yes you may think there is a lot of traffic, but its because the cars have no where to go.

They can go to Inkster, can't they? They can go to Detroit, can't they? They have places to go. Okay fine, that was an asshole-ish comment.

THat doesn't mean it's auto centric. It just means that it is dense with buildings, green space and PEOPLE WALKING!!!!

Yes, Ann Arbor is dense with TREES and PEOPLE and MUNCHKINS and GIGANTIC ARMADILLOS DANCING AROUND SINGING "HAIL TO THE VICTOR!" How dare I comment on the U of M campus when talking about the glorious ANN ARBOR!

Christ.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:01 AM

I will testify that ColDayMan has spent a fair amount of time in A2, so I do respect his opinions, while I may not totally agree.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
He's been to Ann Arbor, and you really don't have to be so incredibly nasty in your reply to him. You may want to edit that. One can disagree without spitting venom.
Really? That's interesting coming from you, because I read all your posts, and you have "spit venom" on occasion. You have had some heated posts to people in the past that disagreed with you, so stop pointing the finger.

ColDayMan,

I am sorry if you took offense to, or misinterpreted my post. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I am not trying to be antogonistic, or nasty. I have reread my post many times, and I hardly think its "nasty". I wasn't trying to be agressive or bully the forum. If that is too strong a tone for some people, I guess you are all very sensitive.

Having said that, I completely disagree with your assesment of the U of M campus and Ann Arbor. I think your observations are wrong. If someone says the sky is green, I'm going to post and say why they're wrong.

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts. I think i've said what I had to say about this post. I'll continue to enjoy the topics and posts on this forum.

Cheers,

Jason

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:02 AM
Bears of antiquity

Ann Arbor is kinda neat for a traffic-heavy hamlet.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:22 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonic View Post
Really? That's interesting coming from you, because I read all your posts, and you have "spit venom" on occasion. You have had some heated posts to people in the past that disagreed with you, so stop pointing the finger.

ColDayMan,

I am sorry if you took offense to, or misinterpreted my post. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I am not trying to be antogonistic, or nasty. I have reread my post many times, and I hardly think its "nasty". I wasn't trying to be agressive or bully the forum. If that is too strong a tone for some people, I guess you are all very sensitive.

Having said that, I completely disagree with your assesment of the U of M campus and Ann Arbor. I think your observations are wrong. If someone says the sky is green, I'm going to post and say why they're wrong.

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts. I think i've said what I had to say about this post. I'll continue to enjoy the topics and posts on this forum.

Cheers,

Jason
No, you did not hurt my feelings and if I see something, I call it out. The "sky is green" comment can also be taken as having "rose-coloured glasses" on. I said my piece that Ann Arbor is a fine town and I don't care for the UM campus and that's all I'm going to say.

- Cheers

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 11:25 AM

Stunning first picture, and the rest weren't bad either.
A^2's looking good.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 6:44 PM
Editor

Nice pictures.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 1:03 PM

[QUOTE=LMich;3442538]I found some very interesting aerials of of Southeast Michigan.

Downtown Detroit 40 miles away in Ann Arbor.

bohemianrobot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohemianrobot/

I've heard you can see the Ren Cen on the top floor of Tower Plaza (the tallest building in A2) but the top floor is apartments only. Are the two brown buildings side by side, "The Towers" at EMU?

Looking northeast. In this one downtown Ann Arbor is out of view.

bohemianrobot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohemianrobot/

That's my high school right across from michigan stadium. You can see the Track, Football and Baseball fields and everything

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:05 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I dislike the skyline on the angle of the first pic, it's too jumbled looking. My favorite view of the skyline is from the top of the Rouge/I-75 Bridge, because it is fairly dense, but laid out more neatly and even.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:27 AM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 10:27 AM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:06 AM

She's one, big, ugly mother-shut-your-mouth.

g.s. george

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 6:07 PM

Not to bump an old argument, but Ann Arbor is far from autocentric. It's very pedestrian friendly, but there are a lot of cars, but just b/c there are a lot of cars doesn't make it autoCENTRIC. Manhattan has a lot of cars too but it's not autocentric. The presence of cars just makes it feel more like a city IMO. State St., Main St. East U, Washtenaw, North U./Geddes, Hill St. and Packard are probably the most heavily used vehicular roads in and around campus. Packard and Washtenaw are the only ones where I think a pedestrian would feel in danger due to speeds.

Personally, I'm confused what Col Day is taking as campus. If you're talking about Central Campus, Central Campus isn't autocentric. Central Campus extends basically from the Bell Tower in the North to the Business School to the South. I can't think any area that is autocentric if you're strictly speaking about CAMPUS. Ann Arbor, the town, is fairly spread out and there are areas away from Campus around the mall and towards Ypsi and North Campus that are extremely autocentric. But the Central Campus isn't. In the loose definition of central campus, the medical campus area isn't pedestrian friendly. I don't know that I would call it autocentric either, but it's not an easy place to walk b/c of the hills and the blocks tend to be bigger due to the building type.

I'm an urbanist, but it doesn't mean I want to banish all vehicles, and I don't think the presence of cars inhibits the pedestrian experience on CC. MSU on the other hand is another story, it's not a very walkable place relatively speaking but it's a fun school.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:06 AM

Last edited by LMich; Apr 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 10:44 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 11:32 AM

A factory fire in 2007 looking towards New Center over Midtown:

(oranje]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos