HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 6:33 PM

Dac, the volume calculator is, like most plugins, free and downloadable here: save it in programfiles/gooogle/GooSU/Plugins. you can also open it to read how it works.

I like how it sounds. I've always enjoyed doing my own research, and I've always wanted to start my own company, that's why I couldn't chose architecture
So I'm studying Economics now, but I'll probably change my major and college to some school that allows me to spend a year or two in the real world (north of the equator) and finish with an MBA. That's actually what I'm trying to pull out in these weeks.

About networking: I've met, precicely by doing my own reserch in "unusual" investments, a couple of guys, one of them is expanding his forestry business into real estate development and prior to that he invited me for coffee, he wanted to know more about me.
I think I get what you mean Dac, I've got to begin working, perhaps as an apprenticeship, in one of these companies as soon as possible. The opportunities are there, it's a matter of catching them.

So you're getting your team into shape! don't let the architect go, remind him of the 26 years he'll have to endure in poverty doing projects he doesn't like before being *the kind* of architect that makes towers (old architects). Well I don't know about America, but that's how the picture was painted to me in London back in 01.

In development on the other hand, there seems to be a boom everywhere. Actually all commodities are going up and construction follows. Here in B.A. is the "all inclusive" residential tower phenomenom, same in Punta del Este.
If you do get the green line, then please show some skin, I'd really like to see in what you'd put your money IRL.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 7:31 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

I just looked at this whole thread for the first time, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed! The infrastructure is of course amazing, but I must say that you have really made an improvement with the buildings! The facades look great, and the street level detail is really good as well. The city has a very realistic feel to it, awesome job.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:47 PM
World Machine

Thumbs up First Update of the Summer!

Well guys I'm happy to say that Sprainbrook has indeed made a return for the summer. My plans are to make more lowrise buildings, as well as work on the waterfront. I also want to add a convention center and some more public spaces. And of course, work on the infastructure.

The first new face you'll see in the skyline is the ST Building. ST stand for Sprainbrook Times. The Sprainbrook Times is the official newspaper of Sprainbrook. The tower is in a sense a lowrise in comparison to its surroundings. The building was constructed in 1961, and there have been talks for a possible renovation, including a new facade.

(Scroll right throughout >>>>>)

The fan favorite (The Vishay Building).

Pretty cool shot.

Alright, that's all for today. Expect some new stuff next week.

fox- Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you like the city.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:13 PM
nuttin

Good to see an update, Can't wait to see your ideas for infrastructure.

Does 'Harriot' the start of not advertising ?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:16 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
Does 'Harriot' the start of not advertising ?
What do you mean?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:20 PM

Yay its back! Very well done Dac Awesome and keep it up! Vishay is my fav very nice

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:25 PM
World Machine

Thank you Mo and treras! I'm happy to be working on in again as well. It's a fun city, but the problem I'm running into is that the program is very slow. I'm going to be dividing the new sections into blocks though, and once I'm done I'll paste them all together.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Thank you Mo and treras! I'm happy to be working on in again as well. It's a fun city, but the problem I'm running into is that the program is very slow. I'm going to be dividing the new sections into blocks though, and once I'm done I'll paste them all together.
Yeah I see how you could get into trouble with that your city is verry detailed. Question, how long does it take you to make your buildings.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 9:29 PM

really nice to see sprainbrook back again.
so there won't be any skyscrapers in the near future for sprainbrook?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew11 View Post
Question, how long does it take you to make your buildings.
It depends on the size of the building, but I can usually get one done within 20 to 30 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:23 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
really nice to see sprainbrook back again.
so there won't be any skyscrapers in the near future for sprainbrook?
Thank you Neo. Yes, there will be more skyscrapers, however I will be focusing more on lowrise buildings for now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
It depends on the size of the building, but I can usually get one done within 20 to 30 minutes.
Wow that is a verry detailed building to take so long. The buildings in my city usually take about 5 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:57 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Wow that is a verry detailed building to take so long. The buildings in my city usually take about 5 minutes.
I actually think they go quick. But 5 minutes, wow, how do you make them so fast?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I actually think they go quick. But 5 minutes, wow, how do you make them so fast?
I don't do my buildings floor to floor. In the old model of my city I could usually do a building in 30 secconds. Now with them more detailed it takes a lot longer.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:20 AM
World Machine

Quote:
I don't do my buildings floor to floor. In the old model of my city I could usually do a building in 30 secconds. Now with them more detailed it takes a lot longer.
Ah, I see.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:20 AM
Editor

The Sprainbrook Times looks great, the facade keeps it from being a boring black box.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:58 AM

Nice update! I don't think too much of the Sprainbrook Times, but the Harriot (portmanteau of harlott and marriot?) is still my favorite.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:44 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The Sprainbrook Times looks great, the facade keeps it from being a boring black box.
Yeah, it's a little different. I'm glad you like it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:46 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Nice update! I don't think too much of the Sprainbrook Times, but the Harriot (portmanteau of harlott and marriot?) is still my favorite.
Thank you vertical. I love the Harriot too. It's my favorite in the city in addition to Vishay and JS (the white building next to Vishay). The ST is a love it are hate it building, and I purposely made it that way. So I'm glad there is a mix of people who like it and people who don't care much for it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:14 PM
World Machine

Exclamation Plans for the Summer

Alright guys, my plan for the next couple of weeks is to work on another district/section of Sprainbrook. This district will be like a Century City. It will be a good 30 or so blocks south of the city center (which you've already seen). In those middle blocks I want to fill them in with many low rises, government buildings, the convention center, and a few parks.

The name of the district will be called 'Industry City'. It will contain about 5-10 buildings that range from 200'-550'. Everything else in Industry City will be low rises. There will also be a riverside park, among other public spaces. I also want to make 'sub' convention center. Industry City is basically a mini business district with some cultural aspects thrown in.

I plan to have the grid done for the district within the next one to two days. After that I will begin work on the buildings and surrounding spaces such as parks and infrastructure. There will be a portion of the Sprainbrook Expressway that'll run through the North end of the district. That'll lead eventually into the Sprainbrook Bridge.

Depending on how this comes out I might redo the grid of the city. I have copies of all the buildings in separate files, so it would just be a matter of copying and pasting. No big deal. That could be done in a day, but I would work on the grid in detail before hand.

Well I have my work cut out for me for the next two months. If you guys have any suggestions or would like to see something in the city, now would be a good time to say so before I start the revitalization.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup