HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:00 PM
Honored Member

Paoli, Corydon and Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial - 2002 Indiana Road Trip Part 3

In September 2002 I set out on a road trip. My plan was to fairly-well cover the southern half of Indiana, but there's so much more to see than I anticipated that I barely saw the southwestern quadrant; even then, I skipped several places I would have liked to have visited.

Approaching Paoli's courthouse from the south. The bridge was built in 1880 by the Cleveland Iron & Bridge Company, of Cleveland Ohio. Paoli's population in the 2000 census was 3,844. The town is the seat of Orange County, and the elegant Greek Revival courthouse, second oldest still serving in Indiana, was built 1847 - 1850 at a cost of $14,000. A monument on the courthouse square commemorates the Federal Land Survey of 1787, whose Initial Point at the intersection of Indiana's Base Line and 2nd Prinicipal Meridian, about two miles south of town.

Paoli was the northernmost town captured during the Civil War by Confederate raiders led by Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan.

Patoka Lake is a property of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The property is comprised of 25,800 acres including an 8,800 acre lake.

My cousin and her husband raise Arabian horses on a farm just outside Paoli.

Corydon, capital of Indiana Territory from 1813 - 1815, became state capital in 1816 when Indiana gained statehood. The capital was moved to Indianapolis in 1825. Corydon was the home of the late Governor Frank O'Bannon.

William Hendricks, a native of Pennsylvania, was the first congressional representative of the new state of Indiana, and served as Governor 1822 - 1825. The capital was moved from Corydon to Indianapolis during his administration. His home and headquarters are open to the public as a historic site.

St. Meinrad Archabbey, founded by Swiss Benedictine monks in 1854, is a community of 120 monks. The grounds and buildings are open to the public, and various public programs and retreats are hosted.

A National Park Service Property, the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, preserves the site where Abraham Lincoln lived from ages 14 to 21 (1816 - 1830). Lincoln's father moved the family to Indiana from Kentucky because Indiana's system of maintaining property records better protected small landowners from fraud and encroachment. The recreation of the Thomas Lincoln farmstead is staffed by historic interpreters during summer tourism season.

Note the rain gutters and downspouts fashioned from split and hollowed-out saplings, that collected roof runoff in rain barrels. Wood ashes were saved in the V=shaped wooden hopper, and rainwater was poured through them to leach out the alkali (potash) that was used along with tallow from butchering to make soap.

Note the dearth of windows. Considering that almost everything you see here was fashioned by the farmer and his family from materials at hand, not much time was spent indoors during daylight. Window glass was frighteningly expensive then; it had to come from Cincinnati by wagon, and even a single small pane cost more than a day's wages for a laborer, let alone for a small farmer for whom mere survival was a full-time job, and a tenuous one at that.

Mary Help of Christians (1857) is one of several mid-nineteenth century church buildings still actively serving parishes in the Newburgh Deanery of the Evansville Diocese.

Indiana Geodes

Next up: New Harmony, Vincennes and Mansfield Roller Mill

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 12:03 AM
Meh

Good stuff. Thanks for posting these. It's interesting reading and thinking about what it must have been like in those times. Living in modern day times you don't always give it much thought as to how difficult it was back then and the mechanics of everything they needed to live.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography