HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:50 PM

Barracks Row and Capitol Riverfront

I took these photos on Saturday.

Barracks Row (8th Street, SE) infill development. This residential development is replacing a surface parking lot.

DDOT headquarters (M Street, SE)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:31 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ fantastic news , that’s a huge parking lot

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:37 PM

RFK stadium

Good riddance! We don't need another stadium for the Foreskins in a walkable location next to a metro station that will be used maybe 15 times per year.

Bye-bye, bouncy seats: District to raze RFK Stadium by 2021

D.C. officials say maintaining the empty RFK Stadium, shown above in 2017, is costing $3.5 million a year. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

By Robert McCartney
September 5, 2019
Washington Post

"The District plans to tear down the dilapidated RFK Stadium by 2021, a move officials say is driven by a need to save money and not to advance any plans for the Redskins to build a new football stadium there.

The decision announced Thursday will end the life of the 58-year-old stadium best known for hosting the Redskins during the team’s glory years in the 1980s and early 1990s, when it won three Super Bowl championships.

RFK, located on the Anacostia River two miles east of the U.S. Capitol, also was home for a time to both the Nationals and Senators baseball teams, as well as the D.C. United soccer team. It also hosted concerts, including performances by the Beatles, Madonna and Foo Fighters..."

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Good riddance! We don't need another stadium for the Foreskins in a walkable location next to a metro station that will be used maybe 15 times per year.
Unfortunately afaik DC only owns the RFK site, which is the footprint of the stadium itself; it's completely surrounded by Fed owned parcels including the vast parking lot horrors, armory, even the sections of roads that go through. Unless that's transferred to the District I have little hope anything will happen there.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 4:27 PM

This maybe premature, but EB5 capital has added a webcam for Storey Park. There has been some prep working going on the past week or so.
https://app.oxblue.com/open/EB5Capital/Dashboard

This big mixed-use apartment/hotel complex in NoMa has been a long delayed project so it is nice to see some signs of movement.
https://perseustdc.com/#StoreyPark.html
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...rey-park-73192

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:29 PM

I need to head back here to D.C. It's been way too long.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:25 PM

Trammell Crow Begins Armature Works Project With New Partner, Changed Plans
Washington DCMixed-Use
October 2, 2019 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

Demo is underway. Then construction will begin on 640 apartments and a hotel.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...d-plans-101094

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:19 AM
pragmatist

Six new, non-Amazon towers in Crystal City will really change the way its skyline looks from DC. Among the proposals is a 31-story residential tower replacing the 11-story office building at 223 23rd St. S. The six towers total 2.6 million square feet -- about 2MSF of residential plus one office tower and ground-floor retail.

Strangely, these were announced last week, but the press releases didn't include renderings, nor were renderings posted at ArlCo's website. The Business Journal just posted some at its website today.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ine#g/461429/1

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:11 AM

Construction Set To Begin On 275-Unit Mount Vernon Triangle Apartment Building
October 28, 2019 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...rtments-101504

Quote:
Quadrangle Development and The Wilkes Co. received building permits Friday to construct a nine-story, 296K SF apartment building at 811 Third St. NW, according to a D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs filing. A member of the development team spoke Oct. 1 to the local Advisory Neighborhood Commission to provide an update on upcoming construction staging for a 275-unit apartment building, according to the meeting minutes.

https://www.thewilkescompany.com/can...1-third-street

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Construction Set To Begin On 275-Unit Mount Vernon Triangle Apartment Building
October 28, 2019 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...rtments-101504

https://www.thewilkescompany.com/can...1-third-street
Speaking of Wilkes Company... any word on 300M? It's shoring permit was issued its 3rd extension in late May... but still nothing since.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:33 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ thats big news, we are nearing the end of surface parking in that area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 11:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Based on a recent visit 14th street has a single remaining parking lot south of u. The entire stretch from around w to p street has been filled in with not a single under utilized or fallow structure. I think we can declare the revitalization of this street to be complete

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Based on a recent visit 14th street has a single remaining parking lot south of u. The entire stretch from around w to p street has been filled in with not a single under utilized or fallow structure. I think we can declare the revitalization of this street to be complete
I can't think of a single surface parking lot that's left in downtown DC.

Edit - okay the one next to City Center, but that's slated for a building soon.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
U Street, while undoubtedly vibrant, has a few potential properties remaining for infill development. These include the police substation, the gas station at the corner of 15th and U Street, and the self-storage building on U Street.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I assume that parking lot you're referring to is at 14th & S? Isn't that lot supposed to be converted into a Dacha beer garden? There was a lot of push back from neighbors on S Street which lead to the city reducing the allowed capacity from what Dacha wanted... but I hadn't heard whether that reduced capacity deterred Dacha's owners from pursuing the development any further.

And there's still the incredibly ugly townhouse development across the street with the surface parking interspersed among the properties. I'd love to see that bite the dust (though preferably preserving space in any new development for current owners to move back to that location). Also just off 14th St on S (to the north of these townhouses) is a city-owned(?) property with a large surface parking lot for shuttles. Hasn't there been discussions of redeveloping this lot?

I think there's a redevelopment planned for the 1 story structure on the SE corner of 14th & P NW, yes? I believe it used to be an Ethiopian restaurant but it closed in the last year or two. Not sure if the redevelopment will also include the Yum's space adjacent to this property. I assume Da Hong Pao won't be going anywhere as I think I recall reading the owner of that restaurant actually owns the building?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:44 PM

Thanks for your updates, 202_Cyclist.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:51 PM

Lower Barracks Row

I took this photo this morning of the addition being built next to the Sonder short-term apartment rental at 816 Potomac Ave, SE.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:45 PM

Thanks 202 Cyclist. Although the project itself is a big disappointment. It's just going to be an expanded 9-5 office building for trade associations and lobbyist. This was one of the last big parcels to add more housing in the DT core. Oh well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Thanks 202 Cyclist. Although the project itself is a big disappointment. It's just going to be an expanded 9-5 office building for trade associations and lobbyist. This was one of the last big parcels to add more housing in the DT core. Oh well.
I think it will be an improvement. The article says the developer will add another three floors. The new WMATA headquarters will also add another three floors. This means more employees in the downtown core of DC and at L'Enfant. According to the article, the developer will also be adding retail to Jackson building.

Additionally, two dated, 1960s-era buildings will be transformed to energy-efficient buildings and both buildings will generate new revenue for WMATA.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:01 PM

Looks like this is moving forward..

Hanover Closes Land Buy, Construction Loan For 377-Unit Brookland Project
Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

Quote:
A development that would add nearly 400 units to Northeast D.C.'s Brookland neighborhood appears to be moving forward. Hanover Co. last week closed on the acquisition of two adjacent properties at 3135 and 3201 Eighth St. NE, and it received a construction loan for its two-building apartment project.
Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...medium=Browser

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations