HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 7:51 PM

Still curious what the thought process was to not go through the heart of Sellwood. I get cost, but they had to have known following the UP tracks was a bad idea right?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 10:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Still curious what the thought process was to not go through the heart of Sellwood. I get cost, but they had to have known following the UP tracks was a bad idea right?
How would light rail gone through the heart of Sellwood?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 11:00 PM
Registered Ugly

17th/Milwaukie

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 3:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
17th/Milwaukie
And how would light rail go down a two lane neighborhood street and make room for platforms?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 3:59 AM
Registered Ugly

You think they couldn’t fit southbound on Milwaulkie and northbound on 17th?

Honestly it would be better as a streetcar line extension. Milwaulkie is exactly where the old line used to run, but it took a turn onto 13th.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 4:29 AM

If you're going to make that kind of investment in the streetcar that far south on the east side, you might as well run it across the Sellwood Bridge and go up Macadam to South Waterfront, create a whole new southern loop.

That would be a huge investment if it ever happened, but the cost and logistics almost certainly make it infeasible.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 4:32 AM
Registered Ugly

Note I said “would have been”. These thoughts make no sense now that the orange line is where it is.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
And how would light rail go down a two lane neighborhood street and make room for platforms?
Cut and cover

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 4:23 PM
A before E

Quote:
You think they couldn’t fit southbound on Milwaulkie and northbound on 17th?

Honestly it would be better as a streetcar line extension. Milwaulkie is exactly where the old line used to run, but it took a turn onto 13th.
A streetcar would have been okay if it was some eastside line that ran all the way up Milwaukie and onto 11th/12th, granted then we would have a streetcar line that gets stuck every day by freight trains.

The current light rail route was definitely the better option since it can easily be connected to local bus lines.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 4:27 PM
A before E

Quote:
Cut and cover
So a roughly 3 mile cut and cover tunnel...before we have a tunnel running through downtown...plus the amount that would have cost to do while also building a transit only bridge, that would have easily killed the Orange line and Tillicum Bridge from happening.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 2:27 AM

There was talk of adding streetcar tracks to the Sellwood Bridge when it was built with the idea of extending the streetcar from South Waterfront down the abandoned tracks over the Sellwood Bridge,.down Tacoma and into the Sellwood area.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 7:53 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
There was talk of adding streetcar tracks to the Sellwood Bridge when it was built with the idea of extending the streetcar from South Waterfront down the abandoned tracks over the Sellwood Bridge,.down Tacoma and into the Sellwood area.
That might have been an interesting idea since there is a pretty good population that is along that route.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So a roughly 3 mile cut and cover tunnel...before we have a tunnel running through downtown...plus the amount that would have cost to do while also building a transit only bridge, that would have easily killed the Orange line and Tillicum Bridge from happening.
In the 90s, planners declined a $250 million downtown tunnel for the South/North Corridor. So yes, you can absolutely point to a short-sighted decision to justify another short-sighted decision.

Not saying it would have been feasible, just saying that I will always see it as a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:14 AM
Registered Ugly

For what’s its worth, no one I’ve ever known who lived in Sellwood and worked downtown ever took the Orange line. It’s either the bike trail or bus (40) because it’s like 10-15 minutes faster with less walking.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 7:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
For what’s its worth, no one I’ve ever known who lived in Sellwood and worked downtown ever took the Orange line. It’s either the bike trail or bus (40) because it’s like 10-15 minutes faster with less walking.
That doesn't mean much unfortunately because I have also seen people taking the Orange line from Sellwood/Westmoreland from both of its stops, so it is obviously happening and possible to make it much faster and efficient to take a bus to one of the light rail stops if timing is done correctly. This is basically what Helsinki does to maximize their ridership numbers and it works.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 7:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
In the 90s, planners declined a $250 million downtown tunnel for the South/North Corridor. So yes, you can absolutely point to a short-sighted decision to justify another short-sighted decision.

Not saying it would have been feasible, just saying that I will always see it as a missed opportunity.
I wasn't here in the 90s, so I am unaware of this proposal and the history of it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:09 PM

I guess I didn’t realize Amtrak doesn’t own the station. $250M is a lot!

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...outputType=amp

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
I guess I didn’t realize Amtrak doesn’t own the station. $250M is a lot!

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...outputType=amp
It needs to be more than a train station. It should be reimagined as a hub of some sort. Look at European train stations of often have food halls, office space and more. I don't see that happening with Amtrak owning it. It just doesn't get that many trains to just be a train station.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
It needs to be more than a train station. It should be reimagined as a hub of some sort. Look at European train stations of often have food halls, office space and more. I don't see that happening with Amtrak owning it. It just doesn't get that many trains to just be a train station.
I dropped off family recently at the station, it really is well connected to the old post office lot. The bridge on ramp is there, but doesn’t seem as much an obstacle as I would think. Maybe because the viaduct has a historic appearance. Almost like en El appearance in a big city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure