HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not sure about South Asian or Indonesian/Malaysian Muslims but this is a huge issue for Iranian and sub-Saharan African Muslims.

I had an African colleague who took psychological time off last fall because she was so upset. Not by Oct 7 (she was perfectly fine after that) but after Israel’s retaliation started.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:03 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
From what I've seen (there are weekly anti-Israel rallies across from a worksite of mine in St Catharines, and I live near a major intersection in fairly Jewish corner of Toronto), it's 50% Arabs and 50% left wing white folks who subscribe to the settler-colonial theory.

Whether that theory has any applicapility to Jews in Israel, and whether it's valid at all, I leave each to his own.
That’s what I am seeing in Montreal and Ottawa. The white segment is split fairly evenly between students and older leftist Fred Hahn types.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

On Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Nothing to see here, please move along.

https://x.com/l3v1at4an/status/1822647271856411099

(Note that there are a couple of Hassidim standing right at the front. They don't seem to take up the jihad chant however. Maybe they don't understand Arabic?)

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

(Note that there are a couple of Hassidim standing right at the front. They don't seem to take up the jihad chant however. Maybe they don't understand Arabic?)
It's usually distastful to call people criticizing their in group as traitors or Uncle Toms or whatever and certainly there are Jews who have the right to do so but I understand that the Orthodox who attend these are a part of a pretty extreme sect that doesn't accept Isreal at all. Because of its secular nature mixing genders. Etc. Certainly they have rights to their views but the idea that the situation is so bad even Orthodox are protesting has no basis in fact.

Honestly the peaceniks of all religous persuasions aren't far off.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It's usually distastful to call people criticizing their in group as traitors or Uncle Toms or whatever and certainly there are Jews who have the right to do so but I understand that the Orthodox who attend these are a part of a pretty extreme sect that doesn't accept Isreal at all. Because of its secular nature mixing genders. Etc. Certainly they have rights to their views but the idea that the situation is so bad even Orthodox are protesting has no basis in fact.

Honestly the peaceniks of all religous persuasions aren't far off.
Yeah these people are only a teeny tiny fraction of the Jewish population and even within the Orthodox population they are a very small minority.

But some people do like to bring up their existence when the topic is discussed.

But these same people might not like what they'd hear if they actually sat down and talk with this faction of Orthodox Jews.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:26 PM

Read in the paper this morning that Toronto Police will be operating mobile command posts in Jewish neighbourhoods, fearing the potential for violence on the one year anniversary of the Hamas attack.

Something is very much amiss when we've allowed these attitudes to fester. I'd be somewhat fearful to be a Jewish student at some of the 'diverse' and progressive-leaning universities like York University or Toronto Met.

Australia, always a good reference point, just arrested someone for displaying Hezbollah flags at a rally, which is a first. We've certainly seen and heard explicit pro-terrorism support at rallies here, and it'll be interesting to see if we follow.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:59 PM
video et taceo

This faction of ultra-Orthodox Jews who vocally oppose Israel have been visible in Montreal for a long time. They hold a theological belief that Israel is to be founded by the Moshiach, so the present state is sort of a heresy.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:10 PM

Quote:

Just a bunch of silly kids having fun. Isn’t it cute? 🥰

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Read in the paper this morning that Toronto Police will be operating mobile command posts in Jewish neighbourhoods, fearing the potential for violence on the one year anniversary of the Hamas attack.

Something is very much amiss when we've allowed these attitudes to fester. I'd be somewhat fearful to be a Jewish student at some of the 'diverse' and progressive-leaning universities like York University or Toronto Met.

Australia, always a good reference point, just arrested someone for displaying Hezbollah flags at a rally, which is a first. We've certainly seen and heard explicit pro-terrorism support at rallies here, and it'll be interesting to see if we follow.
Meanwhile, one of the largest organizers of pro-Palestine rallies in Canada, Samidoun, despite being literally led by a terrorist associated with the banned PFLP group is not only left off the terrorist list, they're registered as a lawful non-profit with the CRA.

Samidoun has openly celebrated the deaths on October 7th and they were handing out candy in Vancouver to "celebrate the resistance" at the exact moment babies were being raped & killed. It needs to be declared a terrorist organization, and immediately.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
This faction of ultra-Orthodox Jews who vocally oppose Israel have been visible in Montreal for a long time. They hold a theological belief that Israel is to be founded by the Moshiach, so the present state is sort of a heresy.
The faction is called Naturei Karta. It's kind of ironic to see the braindead "progressive" anti-Israel types hold them up as some sort of shining example when they are hardcore extremists who make the Taliban look tolerant. Notice you'll never, ever, see women from this group at these rallies: they're quite literally locked up in their husband's houses.

It used to be more common for ultra-Orthodox or even mainstream Orthodox Jews to hold this same theological opinion against the Israeli state but this has waned away over the decades and hardcore extremists like Naturei Karta are really the only ones that still hold onto it. Groups like Satmar that were once quite anti-Zionist have become neutral on the topic and even are starting to lean pro-Zionist now.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Meanwhile, one of the largest organizers of pro-Palestine rallies in Canada, Samidoun, despite being literally led by a terrorist associated with the banned PFLP group is not only left off the terrorist list, they're registered as a lawful non-profit with the CRA.

Samidoun has openly celebrated the deaths on October 7th and they were handing out candy in Vancouver to "celebrate the resistance" at the exact moment babies were being raped & killed. It needs to be declared a terrorist organization, and immediately.
I actually see this more as administrative ineptitude and dereliction of duty than deliberate complicity with the terrorists and islamists.

There isn't that much sophistication or worldliness in the machine.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Just a bunch of silly kids having fun. Isn’t it cute? 🥰
Yeah, we were exactly the same at their age, weren't we?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I actually see this more as administrative ineptitude and dereliction of duty than deliberate complicity with the terrorists and islamists.

There isn't that much sophistication or worldliness in the machine.
Oh, I definitely agree. Hanlon's Razor is one of my favourites.

Old Posted Today, 2:28 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... By the tone of your post I was expecting to hear some chants of river to the sea or death to all Jews, or something along those lines. This is actually pretty tame. The word Jihad can mean different things depending on the context, but it generally means righteous struggle. Of course, you can infer whatever meaning you want, whether it's incitement of violence/genocide against Jews or not, but they're not actually saying or calling for that. For all you know, they're just talking about the struggle against Israeli oppression/aggression. This twitter post kind of just seems like rage bait for bigots tbh.

Old Posted Today, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

I don't like what they are celebrating. But technically they aren't violating any Canadian laws. Unless you can show they actively inciting against another group on Canada, what they do at their rallies is perfectly legal. Qualifying as a charity is probably the more debatable part here to be honest. But then regulation of charities has been an absolute mess for a while and we also let a whole bunch of pro-Israel charities fly under the radar. Some that were raising funds for settlers or even provide kit to the IDF.

Old Posted Today, 4:52 AM

Quote:

On any day there are many protests on parliament hill. They come, they exercise their democratic rights.

I see a small protest group that is peaceful, that did not blockade any roads or stay for days on end honking horns at all hours of the day and night.

I may disagree with their motivation. However, I respect they have a right to express their concerns.

Old Posted Today, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Not sure about South Asian or Indonesian/Malaysian Muslims but this is a huge issue for Iranian and sub-Saharan African Muslims.

I had an African colleague who took psychological time off last fall because she was so upset. Not by Oct 7 (she was perfectly fine after that) but after Israel’s retaliation started.
Of course she did, the poor dear. And on the taxpayers’ dime, right?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada