HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:06 PM

How many grocery stores......

How many grocery stores, like full service big brand grocery stores are
within a mile and half of your city hall? Strategists are always trying to
analyze urban livability, but maybe were over thinking it. I chose the one basic
service most in demand and took a survey of a few western cities.
The results were interesting. Not including small mom and pop corner places,
SF had the most at 11, followed by Denver 10, Seattle 7, Portland 7, Boise 5 and LA had 2!
LA seems to have lots of small independent markets tho.

Last edited by pdxtex; Sep 27, 2024 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
How many grocery stores, like full service big brand grocery stores are
within a mile and half of your city hall? Strategists are always trying to
analyze urban livability, but maybe were over thinking it. I took a survey of a few western cities.
The results were interesting. Not including small mom and pop corner places, SF had the most at 11,
followed by Denver 10, Seattle 7, Portland 7, Boise 5 and LA had 2!
LA seems to have lots of small independent markets tho.
Where are you getting your data from. I don't see how SF could be ranked so high. And if you are only thinking about around the city hall, where relatively few people would live, that number would not be a good gauge of urban livability.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Where are you getting your data from. I don't see how SF could be ranked so high. And if you are only thinking about around the city hall, where relatively few people would live, that number would not be a good gauge of urban livability.
i just went on google maps and did a radius and counted them.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 12:38 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
There's actually a lot of residential within a mile or so of SF's City Hall/ Civic Center area.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 12:58 AM
Future God

For Nashville currently I believe there are just two urban full size supermarkets in downtown proper, one being a Whole Foods, and the other being a Publix. But within 1.5 miles from City Hall I believe there are six total (which includes the first two mentioned.) Two Kroger's stores, and two Turnip Trucks, which is a natural foods grocery store (not a truck) chain local to the Nashville area, with at least a couple more in various stages of development as a part of larger projects.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Sep 28, 2024 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 3:47 AM
Aimless Wanderer

There are at least 20 full-size, brand name grocery stores within a 1.5 mile radius of Toronto City Hall.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 4:26 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Within about 0.8 miles of the Fort Worth city hall is a Tom Thumb (regional brand or subsidiary of Safeway and now Albertsons) and then a full size suburban style Super Target (not an urban style store) anchoring a big box center with all the stuff you need.

Outside the 1.5 radius there’s multiple Super Walmarts and Fiesta Marts in about a 3 mile radius.

The only urban format stores in the CBD proper is a CVS near Sundance square and a local convenience store that has fresh items in by Burnett Plaza whose name escapes me.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 8:11 AM
perhaps . . .

Vancouver: 14. But why?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 3:40 PM
cities|transit|croissants

There are around 10 for DC. Hard to say exactly because there are a bunch right about at the 1.5 mile radius line.

The issue in DC is that downtown is geographically huge, and the federal land in the middle of the city is completely off limits to things like grocery stores, so that first ring of dense residential neighborhoods is really only just beginning when you're about 1.5 miles out from city hall.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 6:10 PM

Most of NYC grocery stores aren't national chains, but I don't see how any other city in America comes close. It is unusual to live more than a 10 minute walk from a full grocery store for much of the city. There are at least 5 full grocery stores less than a 10 minute walk from where I live.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 6:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Walking to a grocery store instead of driving is a pretty good "urbanism" litmus test, IMO.

I was just reminded of this last weekend when my wife's sister and her fiance came to stay with us.

On Saturday morning I noticed we needed some things from the grocery store and my soon-to-be brother-in-law decided to join me. When we set out on foot he was like:

Him: "oh, were walking? How are we going to get everything back?"

Me: "I just need to grab a few things, and I brought a couple bags".

Him: "cool. When I go to the grocery store it's usually a big haul."

Me: "we generally don't grocery shop like that. Because we live so close, one of us walks over to our local market like every other day to pick up whatever we might need for the next day or two ahead".

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 7:01 PM
The New Republic

I rarely do big grocery hauls either. Off the top of my head there are 21 full size grocery stores within 2.41 km (1.5 miles) from Toronto City Hall. On top of that there would be a plethora (too many to count) of small format grocery stores (Rabba, Pusateri, H-Mart, Eataly, Saks Food Hall, independents), fruit & veg stands, etc.

Loblaws: 4
Metro: 3
No Frills: 3
Freshco: 3
Llongo's Market: 2
Farm Boy: 2
Sobeys: 1
Food Basics: 1
City Market: 1
Whole Foods: 1

TORONTO: 21

Last edited by isaidso; Sep 28, 2024 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 7:19 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

There are 3 full-service grocery stores a 1.5 miles from Columbus' City Hall: Kroger, Lucky's, and The Hills. There are also semi-full service downtown grocery stores like DGX but I'm not including them.

There are 2 full-service grocery stores a 1.5 miles from Dayton's City Hall: Kroger and Gem City Market. There is a small, independent grocery store in the heart of downtown called Stop-N-Save but, um...it's a bit ratchet.

There are 2 full-service grocery stores a 1.5 miles from Cincinnati's City Hall: 2 Kroger's - One Downtown & one across the river in Kentucky.

All three cities have downtown/near-downtown public markets (North Market, 2nd Street Market, and Findlay Market) that people use as full-service groceries for core residents as well but, again, not including them.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 7:24 PM

3 for downtown Buffalo, but that's because 1/3 of the circle around City Hall is Lake Erie, and the CBD is here is more business than residential. Pushing the center inland by about 1/2 mile ups the number to 6 (plus lots of smaller corner grocers).

In my North Buffalo neighborhood, the number is 9 at my house, and rises to 14 if I go as far as 2 miles. Plus many smaller grocers and specialty shops (butchers, bakers, ethnic grocers, etc) that I also frequent.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 10:17 PM

I agree with Steely, a grocery store you can walk to is a good indicator of a healthy urban neighborhood among other things. When I lived in Michigan every trip to a grocery store involved a 20 minute ride in a car. When I moved out west I was excited I could walk to the store. Thats still my basic requirement for any neighborhood I live in. Also Toronto wow! Thats alot of choices. And for any Costco fans, they are about to break ground on a urban Costco in Los Angeles with apartments above! Amazing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
And for any Costco fans, they are about to break ground on a urban Costco in Los Angeles with apartments above! Amazing.
The Costco with 800 apartments above has already broken ground. It is a prototype--if it is successful, Costco will build more stores with housing on top.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 12:43 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The Costco with 800 apartments above has already broken ground. It is a prototype--if it is successful, Costco will build more stores with housing on top.
Sounds amazing, but a couple reusable bags aren't gonna cut it for that car-free grocery trip. Might have to invest in an electric wheelchair with one of those big baskets on it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 5:43 PM

Phoenix recently got its first urban-format full-service grocery store ~5 years ago. It is the only one within 1.5 miles of City Hall.

Tempe, AZ also has one, an urban-format Whole Foods, within 1.5 miles of its City Hall, unless you count Trader Joe's as "full-service," in which case there are two.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 8:11 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Napa is getting an urban Costco, but don't think it will have housing on top (sounds interesting!) and I have seen community pushback on it.
Quote:
Job listings just went live for the hundreds of planned hires at the Costco Wholesale store set to open this fall as part of a larger residential and commercial redevelopment of the expansive Napa Pipe factory riverside property south of the city. The global warehouse club retailer also officially announced on its website it indeed intends to open in October the 157,417-square-foot store with a nearly 14,000-square-foot gas station with 32 pumps and 10 electric-vehicle charging stations. That’s the same timeframe the Seattle company estimated in its city liquor license application in April.

Costco has said it wants to hire up to 300 people to staff the new store, located at 280 RiverSound Way. The starting point for Costco wages in the U.S. is $18.50 an hour for store jobs such as assistant cashiers and pharmacy sales assistants. The store, being built on 16.4 acres at the southwest corner of Kaiser Road and Syar Way (now RiverSound Way), is part of a 154-acre redevelopment of the former Napa Pipe plant at 1025 Kaiser Road. Entries to the development are on Kaiser Road off Highway 221 and from Napa Valley Corporate Drive opposite Meritage Resort & Spa.
Nothing says "Urban redevelopment" like 32 gas pumps.
https://www.northbaybusinessjournal....24/?artslide=1

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 8:12 PM

Miami probably only has 2 near its City Hall because it's City hall is located miles outside of downtown along the waterfront in Coconut Grove.

Miami has 4 full service grocery stores in Downtown/Brickell though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions