HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 4:55 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Nice little building but I doubt the thing was built by Iberville's men. You wouldn't have cut stone on a building of that era in New France, especially in a remote part of it. Fort Niagara is built with field stones, and only has cut stones around openings. It screams late eighteenth, early nineteenth.
Not unheard of from mid-1700s. There's stone structures from the mid-1700s built by Canadiens around St. Louis. But, most of what remains (and what was built in the 1600s/1700s) is poteaux-sur-sol. Both examples below are picked from Illinois, ostensibly "great lakes," lol. A stone structure in the Illinois Country from the 1600s would be exceedingly rare (doesn't exist as far as I know). Part of the wooden church below may barely be from 1699.

wikipedia.com

wikipedia.com

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 5:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
A stone structure in the Illinois Country from the 1600s would be exceedingly rare (doesn't exist as far as I know). Part of the wooden church below may barely be from 1699.
According to wikipedia, there are only 4 existing buildings in Illinois that predate 1800. The 2 you posted, plus the Cahokia heights courthouse (1737) and the martin house (1790).

And to your earlier point, none of them have anything to do with the "great lakes" part of the state. The oldest existing building in Chicagoland is the Noble–Seymour–Crippen House, an old farmhouse up in Norwood Park, the southern wing of which was built in 1833. The oldest urban building in the heart of the city is Old St. Pat's Church, built in 1854.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...gs_in_Illinois

So from my Chicago perspective, that old french fort on lake Ontario from 1726 is wicked old.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 5:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Nice little building but I doubt the thing was built by Iberville's men. You wouldn't have cut stone on a building of that era in New France, especially in a remote part of it. Fort Niagara is built with field stones, and only has cut stones around openings. It screams late eighteenth, early nineteenth.
after this controversial outlier bldg you have to jump ahead 100yrs for anything in ohio, which is a pair of 1788 structures in marietta. the oldest tavern left is 1796 in dayton and its not until 1803 for oldest brick bldg in lisbon. not really the state to go looking for old euro structures, although the serpent mounds are ancient and certainly had some kind of villages around them, or so one would imagine.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
According to wikipedia, there are only 4 existing buildings in Illinois that predate 1800. The 2 you posted, plus the Cahokia heights courthouse (1737) and the martin house (1790).

And to your earlier point, none of them have anything to do with the "great lakes" part of the state. The oldest existing building in Chicagoland is the Noble–Seymour–Crippen House, an old farmhouse up in Norwood Park, the southern wing of which was built in 1833. The oldest urban building in the heart of the city is Old St. Pat's Church, built in 1854.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...gs_in_Illinois

So from my Chicago perspective, that old french fort on lake Ontario from 1726 is wicked old.
Yeah, I was being a bit cheeky with my Illinois = Great Lakes comment. The Cahokia courthouse dating to 1737 is pretty wild - I'm not sure I realized that. Nonetheless, a "typical" wooden structure, remarkably similar to what still exists in the Ste. Genevieve area. I'm sure you may know, but Cahokia Heights (used to just be called Cahokia, which I guess mixed it up with the Native American mounds) really lives in the (polluted) shadow of Sauget, and the industrial expanse of "greater" East St. Louis.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 2:28 AM

Some Canadian Youtubers compare Chicago and Toronto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swCsa1_U5s

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 5:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Some Canadian Youtubers compare Chicago and Toronto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swCsa1_U5s
good stuff

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 11:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

im trying to get into balcony gardening lately.

and so i notice the great lakes are almost entirely zone 4, 5 & 6 for plants.

however, a tiny micro climate sliver running along the lake erie waterfront from vermilion, oh to angola, ny is zone 7.

i did not know this.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 12:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ there also appears to be an ever so slight blotch of the lightest green in SW Michigan along the lake roughly where South Haven is. Curious.

Speaking of balcony gardening, our two little deck railing planter boxes are doing great this year! Thinking about getting some more for next summer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

however, a tiny micro climate sliver running along the lake erie waterfront from vermilion, oh to angola, ny is zone 7.

i did not know this.
Yearly I would travel across Ohio and take I-271 to I-90 up to Buffalo, and in November and December that section of I-90 was sometimes startlingly much greener than areas away from the lake. On clear days, approaching the NY border from PA, its also the first view of Lake Erie that stretches across the horizon.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 3:35 AM

I have lived in Cleveland my whole life and have traveled many places but love it here for better or worse. I love the Great Lakes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 3:55 AM

The latest climate zone map lets you zoom in, and there really isn't much 7a at all. There appears to be some near Erie, but it looks like 6b goes to the make in New York and Ohio.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 4:32 AM

Quote:

This is the warmest part of the Great Lakes -- water and shoreline.

And "warmest" is a stretch of the word

This coincides with the largest grape growing region in the US outside of California.

Last edited by pj3000; Sep 26, 2024 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 5:17 AM

Out on the kayak this past weekend: Presque Isle, Erie PA - water temp off Gull Point 81 degrees F.

The best of the Great Lakes.

Last edited by pj3000; Sep 26, 2024 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:

i did not know this.

Interesting. Though, as a zone 7 gardener in the midwest it's not very meaningful for plant selection due to the periodic extreme lows that occur.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 5:19 PM

Union Station, the harbor and Royal York Hotel in the 1930's:

https://www.facebook.com/oldtoronto/...5qjxAxKg3cwitl

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions