HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 10:31 PM

Yay! Sleepy old Saskatchewan cracked 1.25 million!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 11:05 PM

Of all the provinces, BC's situation is the most precarious.

BC & Quebec are the only 2 provinces to have BOTH a negative intra-provincial loss as well as a negative birth/death rate. What's more, BC IP loss is more than twice that of Quebec and it's birth/death rate is 3 times as large. I don't see this changing anytime soon as BC has the lowest birth rate in the country of child bearing years {ie lots of seniors doesn't make any difference} and the latest mother's age of her first born as well.

If PP decides to REALLY reduce immigration levels of all types, which I can see as he has stated very clearly that immigration levels will be tied to housing, BC could potentially see itself in an effective zero growth rate scenario. This kind of no or slow growth would crush the BC economy as it is far more dependent, by a long shot, upon housing for it's economic growth than any other province.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Canada has surpassed 41.75M souls.

42M by the new year???
I am now starting to see the very negative effects of the rapid population gain. Is there any way we can deport 750,000 people, and leave it at 41 million even.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 4:19 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I am now starting to see the very negative effects of the rapid population gain. Is there any way we can deport 750,000 people, and leave it at 41 million even.
Holey moley..

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Cur down on the number of permits issued for TFWs and foreign students and take a tougher approach to dubious asylum claims. That will naturally cut down on the temporary population over time.

IMO, we need a "population freeze" - net migration brought down to a level allowing zero growth in the population for a few years. We need to catch up.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Cur down on the number of permits issued for TFWs and foreign students and take a tougher approach to dubious asylum claims. That will naturally cut down on the temporary population over time.

IMO, we need a "population freeze" - net migration brought down to a level allowing zero growth in the population for a few years. We need to catch up.
Im starting to question the sanity of people who still think bringing in 3.5 million ppl in 3 yearsin great for Canada. Housing, schools, infrastructure, civic resources, etc.is being severley taxed, and its the working class and poor who are suffering.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 11:20 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Sure, we deport everyone who says we need to start deporting people, since they'll be the group happiest to have it happen to them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Does anyone, regardless of political persuasion, seriously think that anyone will be deported from Canada in the foreseeable future? Irrespective of the colour of our government?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^no, but down South, if the Dumpster Fire gets back in, I suspect it will happen, and it is most unfortunate that his hateful rhetoric has evidently found a lot of sympathetic ears up in Canada.

I'm for calling out people that advocate for mass deportations.

I mean, didn't this awful thing happen a few centuries ago, in Acadia?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^no, but down South, if the Dumpster Fire gets back in, I suspect it will happen, and it is most unfortunate that his hateful rhetoric has evidently found a lot of sympathetic ears up in Canada.

Seriously?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does anyone, regardless of political persuasion, seriously think that anyone will be deported from Canada in the foreseeable future? Irrespective of the colour of our government?
I mean we do deport people now. 15000 in 2023. It's certainly possible we deport 10X that should people start to overstay and otherwise merit it being done.

The vast majority of people told to leave probably won't wait for that order but will leave. Not being able to work is much more limiting in Canada than in the US.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:57 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I don't really understand why deporting them is considered cruel when they snuck in illegally? I mean is that what they are supposed to do, just allow the whole world to come in? One world nation with no borders?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 1:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Seriously?
I think what Acajack means is that the Acadians prefer to think of the Grand Derangement as a genocide rather than a simple deportation.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think what Acajack means is that the Acadians prefer to think of the Grand Derangement as a genocide rather than a simple deportation.
Note that I am not the one who brought it up. (And not the one who constantly brings it up.)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Note that I am not the one who brought it up. (And not the one who constantly brings it up.)
Point taken.

And FWIW, my own personal opinion is that the deportation was a tragic event, negatively affecting many people, and changed the trajectory of Maritime history, but, given the geopolitical context of the times, was understandable.

An understandable tragedy with victims, but, the perpetrators (perhaps with a couple of exceptions) were not monsters.

The whole period from 1755-1783 in North America was unstable and monumental, and resulted in the geopolitical reality we all live in now (for better or worse)

It was a very interesting time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Point taken.

And FWIW, my own personal opinion is that the deportation was a tragic event, negatively affecting many people, and changed the trajectory of Maritime history, but, given the geopolitical context of the times, was understandable.

An understandable tragedy with victims, but, the perpetrators (perhaps with a couple of exceptions) were not monsters.

The whole period from 1755-1783 in North America was unstable and monumental, and resulted in the geopolitical reality we all live in now (for better or worse)

It was a very interesting time.
Since I've been drawn into the discussion, my personal view is that it was more an episode of ethnic cleansing than genocide.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Since I've been drawn into the discussion, my personal view is that it was more an episode of ethnic cleansing than genocide.
I won't dispute that there was indeed a component of ethnic cleansing (thanks Governor Lawrence), but, this did not occur in isolation and without provocation (thanks Father LeLoutre).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I won't dispute that there was indeed a component of ethnic cleansing (thanks Governor Lawrence), but, this did not occur in isolation and without provocation (thanks Father LeLoutre).
People (or powers) that commit ethnic cleansing or even genocide always see some type of justification for it in their own eyes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
People are deported all the time. If you mean a mass deportation, no, it won't and couldn't happen - we don't have the people, institutions, or money to deal with huge numbers of deportees. This means that a conversation must come as to what to do with the people who are undocumented or who have overstayed their visa (hence the balloon floated by the government a couple of months back).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada