HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I am very skeptical of claims you only make $70k. I don't know any pilots personally but I know lots of other highly paid professions who have been in disputes over pay where the public face of salary talk is complete BS. Doctors for example.

AC says in a job add it takes 3-5 years to be promoted to narrowbody captain and the salary range for that is $215k-$290k. That is low compared to US salaries sure but far from bus driver or teacher salaries though a few cops might make that with OT. And in solid Con voter territory.
I read somewhere that drivers of the AC bus shuttle from YYZ to Hamilton were making more than newly hired pilots.

Old Posted Today, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
At the very least, they could bump up the OAS eligibility age to 66 or 67 (hell, even keep early access). When OAS was first introduced, it was to help support gramps and grammy when gramps was simply too old to work in the sawmill, or on the farm, or on the fishing boat anymore and couldn't support themselves.

Now, the average 65 year old is perfectly fine supporting themselves in all manner of non-back breaking labour.

Raise the pension age. Australia was able to do theirs. Denmark was able to do theirs (and now links it to life expectancy). France was able to do theirs. The Netherlands was able to do theirs. It's a completely viable thing to do.

If/when the CPC gets elected, with their expected huge mandate I hope they at least rip that band-aid.
I don't think that the CPC would touch OAS in a first term. It just isn't worth the risk. Maybe they will come up with some other options. They introduced being able to defer OAS up until age 70 where you can get higher monthly payment for each month deferred up to 36% more. The problem with that is that it was designed to help those who are quite well off and who have high incomes. They would be wise to try to look at something that benefits mid to lower income seniors.

Old Posted Today, 3:02 AM

My thoughts on OAS is the exact same as healthcare and education. Why does the taxpayer need to pay for those that have the means to take care of themselves? Just take care of the bottom ~10% and let everyone else take care of themselves.

Last edited by Build.It; Today at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Today, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I am very skeptical of claims you only make $70k. I don't know any pilots personally but I know lots of other highly paid professions who have been in disputes over pay where the public face of salary talk is complete BS. Doctors for example.

AC says in a job add it takes 3-5 years to be promoted to narrowbody captain and the salary range for that is $215k-$290k. That is low compared to US salaries sure but far from bus driver or teacher salaries though a few cops might make that with OT. And in solid Con voter territory.
You can go and check the T4 here: https://www.reddit.com/r/britishcolu...lly_gets_paid/

There are a few comments in that thread that corroborate the low pay, like a first officer makes less than this on a 737 Max.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada