HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 9:06 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I do like the idea of mass timber, if this is the direction this ends up going. But it's aggravating that UTA won't support the Rio Grande Plan when they would stand to benefit more than anybody from it.
Somebody has to convince them it's their idea. Then they'll support it (and say they *always* supported it).

The drawback is that they may take the idea in a direction the original designers hadn't intended (e.g., "Let's ELEVATE the tracks instead!" )

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 5:41 AM

The new South Jordan Downtown station on the red line is starting to take shape! First couple trackside concrete pours are done, utilities going in, the whole nine yards.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 4:40 AM
Lahaina Strong

UTA's newest rail maintenance facility?

During a few UDOT/UTA meetings this year it has been mentioned that UTA/UDOT are in negotiations to purchase the Intermountain Power Project's Railcar Service Facility to serve as a light maintenance facility for Frontrunner when it is extended south to Payson. This facility is currently used to service IPP's massive fleet of coal hopper railcars that will no longer be needed when the Coal Plant closes and is replaced with natural gas/hydrogen next year.

I stopped by for a few pictures today. It'll be interesting to snap a few "after" photos in a few years.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the track layout. Presently the facility is laid out to accommodate comically long cuts of coal cars, the sidings adjacent to the facility are ~2.5 miles long. IPP coal trains stretch to around 110 cars. I assume there will be some reconfiguration to make the facility more accommodating to passenger trains.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 3:14 AM
Lahaina Strong

If you weren't already aware, there is a Rio Grande Plan event this Thursday:

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:13 PM
Lahaina Strong

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West