HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 9:33 PM

Air Canada has removed 3 weekly YUL-ARN for summer 2025.
YYZ-ARN increases from 2 to 5 weekly.

An A321XLR seems like the right plane to resume YUL-ARN eventually.

EDIT: YYZ-ARN increases from 2 to 4* weekly.

Last edited by Alexcaban; Sep 8, 2024 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcaban View Post

Barf! Another narrow body transatlantic. A gross trend not be celebrated. Widobodies are so much more comfortable and better suited to these.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Barf! Another narrow body transatlantic. A gross trend not be celebrated. Widobodies are so much more comfortable and better suited to these.
An Airbus narrowbody Y seat has a wider seat width than a 9 abreast 787 (like 95% of them are).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
An Airbus narrowbody Y seat has a wider seat width than a 9 abreast 787 (like 95% of them are).
Yeah. Two aisles is nice for a walk or two but what you gain there you lose in a much longer and more congested boarding process. I don't think most people really care. Certainly they'd rather have a direct service on whatever place is available.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah. Two aisles is nice for a walk or two but what you gain there you lose in a much longer and more congested boarding process. I don't think most people really care. Certainly they'd rather have a direct service on whatever place is available.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I am booked on my first narrow body transatlantic this winter. TAP Air Portugal from YYZ-LIS. Looking forward to trying out the A321 experience.

On a more domestic note, some domestic routes are as long if not longer than some of these transatantic. I have done Halifax to Vancouver on AC Max9. Not great, especially with a full flight but not AirTransat or Rouge uncomfortable either.

As long as AC does not use Rouge on these routes I think they are ok.

Last edited by casper; Sep 9, 2024 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Well, it's the trend now, just wait till the first Trans-Pacific narrowbody route.

Not sure if YVR-CTS is still on AC's radar. As far as I know, the XLR is designed for route like this, at least before the design change due to issue with central fuel tank.

As for YUL-ARN, if XLR is coming in S26, I'd expect AC would somehow keep it running in maybe reduced frequency and season, rather than stopping it completely. It must've perform quite poorly that AC outright suspend the route? If they suspended the route, I'd expect it goes way down in the priority list and won't restart again until AC get enough XLRs in maybe S27 or S28, if ever...

Last edited by nname; Sep 9, 2024 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcaban View Post

EDIT: YYZ-ARN increases from 2 to 4* weekly.
Not surprised by this one. 787 was too big, and it doesn’t help that SAS left Star alliance and joined skyteam 10 days ago.

They can’t serve everything out of both YYZ and YUL. This one is better off at YYZ. Considering the downgrade from 5 to 4x weekly overall, it’s clear the route had too much capacity.

Redeploying to the Mediterranean (Naples) seems to be the way to go.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
ARN just isn't sustainable on a 787 long term. If people want that flight they should be happy about the narrow body.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
The walk is pretty important, especially on long flights. The worst drawback is the washroom situation. There’s never enough on a narrowbody long flight. If you get a seat in the last six rows you’re basically stuck in fart alley as everybody’s line up right in your face waiting to take a dump.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 8:08 PM

And so it begins. I hope Rousseau isn't stupid enough to provoke a strike.

I mentioned I booked PD for an upcoming YYZ trip. Today I went on the Avion app to check what was available for points and it was all virtually AC, desperately trying to get people on their planes, travellers are already booking away from them.

A potential Air Canada pilot strike could impact your travel. Here's what to do about it
Air Canada could begin suspending operations as soon as this weekend
Jenna Benchetrit · CBC News · Posted: Sep 10, 2024

With a potential pilot strike looming, Air Canada is preparing to suspend its operations in a shutdown that could impact tens of thousands of passengers.

Canada's largest airline and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which represents more than 5,000 Air Canada pilots, are negotiating over the union's wage demands. Air Canada pilots are seeking compensation in line with what their U.S. counterparts make....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...know-1.7318781

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 1:42 AM

Quote:
And so it begins. I hope Rousseau isn't stupid enough to provoke a strike.

I mentioned I booked PD for an upcoming YYZ trip. Today I went on the Avion app to check what was available for points and it was all virtually AC, desperately trying to get people on their planes, travellers are already booking away from them.

A potential Air Canada pilot strike could impact your travel. Here's what to do about it
Air Canada could begin suspending operations as soon as this weekend
Jenna Benchetrit · CBC News · Posted: Sep 10, 2024

With a potential pilot strike looming, Air Canada is preparing to suspend its operations in a shutdown that could impact tens of thousands of passengers.

Canada's largest airline and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which represents more than 5,000 Air Canada pilots, are negotiating over the union's wage demands. Air Canada pilots are seeking compensation in line with what their U.S. counterparts make....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...know-1.7318781
I am traveling in the last week of September on AC. I do hope they get it settled before then. The options on Porter and WestJet for the route I am on are quickly drying up.

This is disappointing. WestJet and their union messed up my travel plans due to their strike. So since then whenever possible I have been flying anyone but WestJet. They needed to be punished for such activities.

If AC does strikes, I will be forced to shift my future booking away from them. That just leaves Porter as I am not certain I am willing to forgive WestJet yet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 12:20 AM

CATHAY PACIFIC NW24 NORTH AMERICA SERVICE INCREASES

Cathay Pacific during Northern winter 2024/25 season plans to restore additional frequencies to North America, based on available flights for reservation, as well as the airline’s bulletin. Planned North America operations as of 12SEP24 include the following.

Hong Kong – Toronto eff 27OCT24 Increase from 10 to 13 weekly (14 from 02JAN25. This route originally opened for booking as 10 weekly flights in winter season)
Hong Kong – Vancouver eff 27OCT24 Increase from 10 to 11 weekly (14 from 01DEC24)

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240912-cxnw24na

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Yup indeed. I've taken 757s across the pond and it was no big deal.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 12:49 AM

Looks like AC and its pilots are going to stumble into a strike. Incredibly stupid on the part of management. They saw how badly WS was impacted by a similar down to the wire tactic yet they didn’t get their shit together to show Canadians that AC could be relied upon. Second there’s a dire pilot shortage and they see scarce talent going to Flair and Porter yet they try to cheap out, while CEO Rousseau apparently got a 200+% compensation bump! The whole senior executive team should be sent packing.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 12:52 AM

British Airways further updated their summer plans at YVR. They will now be 2x daily to LHR (14 weekly, instead of 11 weekly in the last update). And still keeping the daily LGW. I talked about BA's strong growth at YVR a couple pages back, so won't repeat anything. Other than... IMO, this shows even more that BA is taking advantage of AC's relatively small presence on the YVR-London market. They still do daily 777, so it's not neglect or anything. Just relatively not their strongest commitment here, compared to the APAC routes, transborder routes, domestic.. So no complaints or saltiness, like I said in my last post, I like the idea of 3x BA 777s each and every day far more, so bring it on!

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240913-bans25lhr

Good news about CX going back to 2x daily year round on YVR-HKG, starting Dec. 1st and going as far as schedules go into next summer (and good for YYZ-HKG too of course, also going to 2x daily, but on Jan. 1st). In December, YVR will have 14X weekly CX and 10x weekly AC, pretty close to what we had in years past actually. I don't expect Hong Kong airlines back here anytime soon, they are owned by HNA, a gigantic mainland China conglomerate, they are not expanding Canadian service, for all the many reasons we've discussed before on this forum. So it's good to see some solidity from CX and AC on HKG. Yes, AC does go from 10x weekly to 7x weekly in January, but with the CX strength, it's not the end of the world, service won't suffer. And at least it means BKK going daily and adding to AKL. HKG is one of AC's most solid Asian destinations, something it inherited from Canadian. The combined AC/CP airline has a long history of linking YVR and HKG, and carried a lot of the immigrants from HK who came to Vancouver (and other places of course, but Van especially) during the 80s and 90s. CP had 747s, as shown below. And back when non-stops from YYZ were either impossible or challenging, AC routed things through YVR. My point is, AC is not going anywhere on the HKG route, it may have ups and downs, but it will link YVR-HKG as long as there isn't another global crisis getting in the way. So AC going back to 7x daily (which has been the standard anyways for a long time) isn't troubling. But both AKL and BKK are newer routes for AC, and not nearly as entrenched as HKG. So I'd personally rather see the increases in frequency go to newer, more "exotic" routes, where it's a show of strength on newer launches. And appears to show that there is solid demand to make the routes viable year round at some point, and candidates for some kind of expansion again.

Adding back MEL seems likely at some point in the future, hopefully near future. Considering Air Canada will be operating 22x weekly flights to Oceania in peak winter, it appears there is demand there. Not so long ago, Qantas was like a unicorn for YVR, it would come for a few weeks in December and in summer, but it was never a sure thing. There were years they were absent altogether, then times they went via SFO or even HNL (?) back in the day. So it was always reassuring when they announced any service, even though it was spotty. But since 2021 they are year-round (albeit only 3x weekly, but it's a consistent 3 weekly all year). So for 3 years now, they have maintained and nurturing the year-round. Would love to see that frequency increase for more reassurance, but I think the route is decently solid for QF now. Ditto for NZ (Air New Zealand), solid daily flights year round now. With AC's growth, plus Fiji Airways coming into the picture (they are majorly targeting AU and NZ pax, as well as the O&D Fijian community), it wasn't a sure thing that QF or NZ would hold their own. Increased overall seat capacity plus multiple airlines operating can really challenge a route's viability because of the intense competition, so a route needs to be in really high demand to successfully nurture multiple airlines and high frequency (ie. NYC-LON or HKG-TPE for example, these are powerhouse routes with tons of players and seats, and has been that way for ages. But for YVR-Oceania, it wasn't necessarily a sure promise of success, it was still uncharted territory for a long time, in terms of non stop flights. Although aircraft have existed for a long time that could do SYD-YVR non stop (ie. 747), the economics never worked to do it year round non-stop. So the situation seems to show that capacity has been generally well absorbed for these new routes, and there's quite a lot of demand on the Oceania routes. And I don't expect this to decrease in the coming years, barring some unforeseen event.

Short sidebar, anecdotal to my airport discussion but really more political content than airport related. At this point, I don't put it past our current gvt. to do something to piss off AU/NZ someow and cause a drop in demand/flights. They (aka JT) have managed to cause/prolong significant issues with India, China, and Mexico, and there's probably more. IMO poor diplomacy hasn't necessarily been the CAUSE of rifts, but it really made things worse and more personal. For right or wrong, he did something(s) to really offend each of these countries, it's worse than just a run-of-the-mill trade row or bargaining on quotas in trade court. That's normal, it's part of the relationship to have economic concerns, trade concerns, and try and hash it out. Whether he meant to or not, JT said things to personally offend leaders of three of our most important partners. China, India, and Mexico should be some of the busiest markets between our countries, yet each of these routes are kept back by some artificial imposition, and strangling their potential. I know India has other factors such as Russian airspace, so I'm not saying JT was 100% responsible for flights being where they are, but it is a big factor, especially for China and Mexico. Aeromexico was really taking off (mind the pun) at YVR, YYZ, and YUL. Seemed to just keep adding, 3x daily sometimes, and a lot more potential for that huge and growing market. And yet here we are at 2x daily from each airport, the summer could definitely support more. But with the visa changes, it's killed lots of demand. Anyways, I am not some alt right, convoy driving guy, not at all. I am only taking aim at him here because I don't think he was as diplomatic as he should have been with them, considering their importance (/RANT OVER).

So as long as we don't have a diplomatic indecent with AU/NZ anytime soon, we should be good. Same goes for all ME/Asia/Latin America countries really, they are much more prone to have diplomatic incidents/offences with Canada than countries in Europe, for the most part.

OK I am going to try for the 1000000th time to post a photo on the forum, I can't believe I haven't figured it out yet, I'm usually decently savvy with things, &**^&** I'm a dinosaur now I guess, and this isn't even new technology lol... Anyways, if it doesn't work, please visit the link, it's a very cool picture:

Last edited by zahav; Sep 15, 2024 at 1:26 AM. Reason: Deleted duplicate photo

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 5:15 AM

Or maybe not….

Air Canada, pilots reach tentative deal to avert strike
-Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge to continue to operate as normal, with ratification vote expected this month
Mary Vallis · CBC News · Posted: Sep 14, 2024 6:35 AM PDT | Last Updated: 12 minutes ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...lots-1.7323676

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 11:27 AM

^ pretty much went as expected. Someone blinked at the eleventh hour. We’ll find out who when the TA details are released. From what I’ve read so far on other forums, some pilots aren’t too happy.

Either way, I made the right call sticking with my flights. Too bad I won’t be getting 1200 euro though!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 2:52 PM

I was about to rebbok an upcoming trip. Glad I don't have to go through the hassle.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
I was about to rebbok an upcoming trip. Glad I don't have to go through the hassle.
Conversely, it’s a good time to be checking for sales and points promos. Undoubtedly AC had a lot of flyers book away from them or cancel and is out millions. They’ll be looking to get some of those flyers back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada