HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Yeah the Beer Can is incredibly popular. I go there once or twice a month. If you go on a Friday or Saturday night, good luck getting a table. There can easily be over 200 people there when it gets busy.
In my travels across the country, I think it's safe to declare Winnipeg is the king of patios nationally. It's like a provincial pass time, getting sloshed outside with friends haha.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
On my nightly bike ride I went past the beer can. Always crazy how busy it is, it was packed at 9 pm on a Monday. They sure found a gold mine haha. It'd be slick if every neighbourhood could have a bumping beer garden as a local gathering place.
Mondays are usually super packed because Community Gym does an (Un)Run club where about just a little over 100 people go to run a 3K and 5K course, and then come back to socialize over beers, hence "Un"Run club

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 7:31 PM

Just had brunch at Modern Electric Lunch for the first time, was really good, definitely recommend. Hipster style food/menu, maybe not for everyone but quality was high.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Yeah the Beer Can is incredibly popular. I go there once or twice a month. If you go on a Friday or Saturday night, good luck getting a table. There can easily be over 200 people there when it gets busy.
I heard an unfortunate rumour. The curling club may not be renewing The Beer Can's lease. Apparently the cc wants to copycat what they're doing because it's so successful. If true, the owners of the Beer Can will have to pack up and find a new location.

Last edited by bon_vivant; Sep 3, 2024 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
I heard an unfortunate rumour. The curling club may not be renewing The Beer Can's lease. Apparently the cc wants to copycat what they're doing because it's so successful. If true, the owners of the Beer Can will have to pack up and find a new location.
the curling club has clearly never heard the expression, "kill not the goose that lays the golden eggs"

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
the curling club has clearly never heard the expression, "kill not the goose that lays the golden eggs"
Man are they taking a risk on that if true.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 4:46 PM

I really hope the Beer Can stays. Going there regularly is one of the nicest parts of living in Osborne Village.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
It would be a really dumb move. Why give up all that zero-effort revenue? I doubt the CC has the expertise to replicate their success, and the loyal clientele wouldn't support them knowing what they've done. If the rumour spreads, there may be less chance of it happening. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:39 AM
surely you agree with me

That would be dumb.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
It would be a really dumb move. Why give up all that zero-effort revenue? I doubt the CC has the expertise to replicate their success, and the loyal clientele wouldn't support them knowing what they've done. If the rumour spreads, there may be less chance of it happening. Fingers crossed.
How much zero-effort revenue are they bringing in with the current lease?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:35 PM

Re Beer Can.

While I do not have inside knowledge of that operation I have insight into similar pop up setups. For example the work to get an approved liquor license and occupancy permit is likely something the curling club has full access to. I would think the curling club is likely a full partner on paper and has most if not all of the business operations information. They may not have some of the relationships to make it work.

From the outside looking in as a customer the change that is happening behind the scenes may go mostly unnoticed. It is also going to be challenging for the current Beer Can team to replicate what they did somewhere else, even if they have the financial backing and are willing to put in all the paperwork on starting somewhere new. Finding the right location will be challenging.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re Beer Can.

While I do not have inside knowledge of that operation I have insight into similar pop up setups. For example the work to get an approved liquor license and occupancy permit is likely something the curling club has full access to. I would think the curling club is likely a full partner on paper and has most if not all of the business operations information. They may not have some of the relationships to make it work.
anyone who thinks the Granite would replicate the Beer Can's success should go and have a drink and a meal at their dining room (the "granite grill" or whatever), and ask themselves, "would this outdoors be the same as going to the Beer Can"?

If they do this, I think it'll kill both the Beer Can as an entity (since some of the Beer Can's success is location), and the Granite patio (since some of the Beer Can's success is the programming, staff/culture, menus, etc.).

The Beer Can will move elsewhere but struggle, and the Granite won't be able to capture/sustain the magic that made the Beer Can special... both will fade away

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 3:52 PM

Unfortunately hubris is blind to logic. But of course this is all just speculation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan