HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 10:08 PM

So it's a cafe where YOU are the barista? Okaaayyy...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 5:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage for Pizzeria Bros at the Granite Centre has now been installed.

They are apparently planning a September opening.

From Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 3:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Country Lane (a long term pop-up like Just Cozy) is apparently going to make a return to CF Champlain after an absence of several years. Apparently opening in September.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 5:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Jersey Mike’s location in Canada opening, triggering massive expansion plans
By Mario Toneguzzi (Retail Insider)
August 22, 2024
https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/...pansion-plans/

Quote:
Redberry Restaurants is opening its first of 300 Jersey Mike’s restaurants, known for their fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs, in Canada – the first major international expansion in the company’s 68-year history.

The company has plans to substantially increase its footprint in Canada over the next 10 years with the restaurant in Markham, Ontario being the first.
If there are plans for 300 Jersey Mike's locations in Canada, you can rest assured at least a couple of them will be in metro Moncton.

This comes hot on the heels of the news that Firehouse Subs is opening soon in the Lousbury Centre on Mountain Road. Subway is going to have some competition (all due resect to Quizno's and Ed's Sub).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 6:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The expanded section of Sport Chek at CF Champlain has now opened. Now, for the renovations in the pre-existing portion of the store.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 3:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There had been a previous rumour that the former Weight Watchers location at Wheeler Park was to be renovated to accommodate a new vape shop. This is apparently in error.

Renovations are indeed underway, but, updated information reveals that the space is instead going to be used for an expansion of the Dollarama next door.

Dollarama again. Jesus Christ. A Dollarama however is at least better than the vape shop alternative.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There had been a previous rumour that the former Weight Watchers location at Wheeler Park was to be renovated to accommodate a new vape shop. This is apparently in error.

Renovations are indeed underway, but, updated information reveals that the space is instead going to be used for an expansion of the Dollarama next door.

Dollarama again. Jesus Christ. A Dollarama however is at least better than the vape shop alternative.
I’ve worked at that dollarama and the northwest centre one, and both stores desperately need the back room space. I imagine the floor space will stay the same with the back room getting bigger.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 3:03 PM

Quote:

The ideal 2024 Atlantic Canadian shopping mall: Tims + Dollarama + NBLC/Cannabis NB + XYZ Vape Shop.... What else does one need?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 5:21 PM

Dollar stores are certainly not the sexiest retail options, but unfortunately more people are being increasingly pinched into shopping there in a challenging economy. They are serving a growing need. Any time I go into a Dollarama for something, there's always at least a half dozen people in line in front of me. At certain times of day they are packed.

I would not be surprised in the least to see Dollarama expand their grocery offerings in the very near future, like you see at Dollar General and others in the US. Maybe not with full on produce and meat, but I could very much see coolers and freezer sections in Dollaramas in the near future.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting CBC article about Cineplex's return from the near death experience of the COVID pandemic, and the rise of streaming services:

Cineplex says business is back — partly thanks to foreign-language films from around the world
Theatre chain continues to ramp up international offerings as it continues to recover from pandemic, strikes
Kevin Maimann · CBC News · Posted: Sep 01, 2024 5:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: September 1
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ilms-1.7308841

Quote:
Canada's Cineplex theatres are embracing foreign-language films as they come close to recapturing pre-pandemic audience numbers.

Cineplex said last month that international movies had accounted for 11.5 per cent of its box-office revenue this year to date — up from 10 per cent last year — with the top three being Hindi-language action film Fighter and Punjabi-language comedies Jatt & Juliet 3 and Shinda Shinda No Papa.
I have noticed myself over the last several months that it is not uncommon to see foreign language (usually south Asian) films playing in Moncton. Even right now, Bibi Rajni (Punjabi) is playing at the Wheeler Park Cineplex location. I have seen as many as two such films playing concurrently in the city, usually at Wheeler Park.

Also, Detestable Moi (French) is playing at the Dieppe Cineplex location at CF Champlain. This of course is not a "foreign" language, and, again, is entirely appropriate given the language profile in Dieppe. When FICFA (Festivale Internationale de Cinema Francophone en Acadie) is on, the Dieppe location can be showing 3-4 different French language films at a time.

This sort of a model doesn't bother me. On the contrary, it helps to show the cosmopolitan nature of the Moncton population. It shows that Cineplex is being nimble in trying to find a winning formula to retain profitability. Good for them.

Moncton has 16 movie screens. I think we can afford to let francophone and foreign language films to have 2-3 screens to be used for non English language products.

My only wish is that Cineplex finally build an IMAX screen somewhere in the city. We have been talking about this for at least 12-15 years, and we are still waiting.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new card scanners at the entry into the Moncton Costco store are now operational.

I will likely be going this weekend. It will be interesting to see how this works, and whether or not it affects customer flow.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The new card scanners at the entry into the Moncton Costco store are now operational.

I will likely be going this weekend. It will be interesting to see how this works, and whether or not it affects customer flow.
Saw/used them recently at the YEG Costco in Edmonton, and it was no big deal to use. Just tap the card on the way in and off you go. And that store was as busy as any of ours. Might be a bit more of a hassle for families maybe, but it was a breeze for me (with my own card/account)

Feels like much ado about nothing really.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Saw/used them recently at the YEG Costco in Edmonton, and it was no big deal to use. Just tap the card on the way in and off you go. And that store was as busy as any of ours. Might be a bit more of a hassle for families maybe, but it was a breeze for me (with my own card/account)

Feels like much ado about nothing really.
What’s to stop someone from taking someone else’s card and scanning it? Like if my parents were to lend me their Costco card, would it still work? Or what if I was going with someone who has a membership?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
What’s to stop someone from taking someone else’s card and scanning it? Like if my parents were to lend me their Costco card, would it still work? Or what if I was going with someone who has a membership?
I believe when you scan your card, your picture pops up on a monitor, and the attendant will be able to tell whether it is you or not.

As for entering the store as a family, I imagine that is still allowed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I believe when you scan your card, your picture pops up on a monitor, and the attendant will be able to tell whether it is you or not.

As for entering the store as a family, I imagine that is still allowed.
Yeah scanning the card and a small black and white screen will show the photo (maybe it's colour but my pic is B&W) and the attendant will basically check to make sure someone in hte group matches the picture close enough.

I suspect family groups can still go in together.

It might be interesting for my parents when it shows up in Freddy. They're hosting a couple of exchange students now, so they are technically in the 'family' group but don't look like family.

I suspect the attendents are more verifying that SOMEONE in the group matches the picture and letting them in, so groups are fine unless the group seems really off. (A group of University students all going in under the same card likely won't fly, but an older couple with a couple of teens is probably fine).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces