HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:25 PM

Noticed this demo permit today:

Quote:
ZP-2024-008076
Aug 29, 2024
501 UNIVERSITY AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19104
CITY OF PHILA 3

The applicant proposes the subdivision of a lot into two lots. The existing lot consists of a three-story building to be demolished to slab and parking. The proposed lots are to be vacant, with the parking use removed. The project is located entirely within the Center City Commercial Mixed Use (CMX-4) zoning district.
That's a pretty big lot near the hospitalsl, not much real estate left over there, and this will create a fairly large vacant lot. I wonder if there are any plans for this site?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I was in London earlier this month. Me and my wife stayed in Westminster and traveled across a wide swath of the city. We were amazed at the lack of traffic on the streets of London, even within the architecturally congested City of London. We could walk in many of the streets of Westminster without worrying about a car hitting us. The lack of traffic also made riding the buses a breeze--even more convenient than the Tube in many instances.

London provided me insight for what Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, and other older city centers could look like with congestion pricing. The benefits to city residents, pedestrians, cyclists, and SEPTA could be amazing, but it would take a few decades for public opinion to shift to the point where congestion pricing would be supported.
FR, traffic was very pleasant.

I agree with McGrath about tying it to transit expansion and improvements. Philly could make a shift pretty quickly with the right leadership and vision in place.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 3:35 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Noticed this demo permit today:

That's a pretty big lot near the hospitalsl, not much real estate left over there, and this will create a fairly large vacant lot. I wonder if there are any plans for this site?
The attached zoning plan in eclipse (need a free account login to view attached document) does mention Children’s Hospital by the way.
OWNER/APPLICANT:
CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF PHILADELPHIA
3401 CIVIC CENTER BOULEVARD
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19104

The building to be demolished at 501 UNIVERSITY AVE appears in streetview to be the old Medical Examiner’s location; I believe they moved to 400 N Broad with the PPD.

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 30, 2024 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
FR, traffic was very pleasant.

I agree with McGrath about tying it to transit expansion and improvements. Philly could make a shift pretty quickly with the right leadership and vision in place.
Agreed -- but the majority of meatheads in this city don't want to be London. They are incredibly unsophisticated and provincial in both their politics and approach to urbanism.

This town has some of the most progressive and interesting people I've ever met -- PLUS-- some of the most xenophobic/can't-believe-you-exist-in-a-diverse-city-of-1millon+ people I've ever met.

Unfortunately, until most of these people die off or move to Pennsauken - we're going to be stuck with Parkers and Kenneys --- even worse --- the idiots on City Council who have the actual power.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Agreed -- but the majority of meatheads in this city don't want to be London. They are incredibly unsophisticated and provincial in both their politics and approach to urbanism.

This town has some of the most progressive and interesting people I've ever met -- PLUS-- some of the most xenophobic/can't-believe-you-exist-in-a-diverse-city-of-1millon+ people I've ever met.

Unfortunately, until most of these people die off or move to Pennsauken - we're going to be stuck with Parkers and Kenneys --- even worse --- the idiots on City Council who have the actual power.
Philly is definitely an interesting case study. It’s showing promise though; Penn’s Landing, the Boardwalk trail, 676 cap, and now a center city arena. Sure, more can be done. It’s changing much faster than I thought possible though. I’m happy with it’s direction.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The attached zoning plan in eclipse (need a free account login to view attached document) does mention Children’s Hospital by the way.
OWNER/APPLICANT:
CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF PHILADELPHIA
3401 CIVIC CENTER BOULEVARD
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19104

The building to be demolished at 501 UNIVERSITY AVE appears in streetview to be the old Medical Examiner’s location; I believe they moved to 400 N Broad with the PPD.
Nice to see a pedestrian-hostile postwar bunker coming down for once. Hope CHOP builds something nice.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Nice to see a pedestrian-hostile postwar bunker coming down for once. Hope CHOP builds something nice.
Been in that building many times. It is a dream come true to see it get demolished.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 4:47 AM

I'm sure it's been covered here but what is going in across from the Lululemon on Walnut? I went through there on Saturday and the structure was gutted and exposed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 3:58 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
I'm sure it's been covered here but what is going in across from the Lululemon on Walnut? I went through there on Saturday and the structure was gutted and exposed.
Aritzia.

Popular women's clothing brand.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 6:30 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Aritzia.

Popular women's clothing brand.
That certainly has been long-delayed. The Historical Commission approved the façade alterations for Aritzia way back in Feb 2022, 2-1/2 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 12:43 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
That certainly has been long-delayed. The Historical Commission approved the façade alterations for Aritzia way back in Feb 2022, 2-1/2 years ago.
Yea, no idea why it took so long to get started, but full steam ahead now at least.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post

I think you’re forgetting we’re still the poorest big city in the country with deeply embedded social ills and a relatively weak business environment. We can barely compete with the burbs economically let alone London lol

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I think you’re forgetting we’re still the poorest big city in the country with deeply embedded social ills and a relatively weak business environment. We can barely compete with the burbs economically let alone London lol
minor details, we just need smart people on city council- then all those issues go away in a few years. I can barely think of any differences between London and Philly that cant be solved by a new city council.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
This is a tired take that needs to disappear -- the "we are too poor", "we are too fat", "we are too unhealthy" excuse that keeps us from actually demanding better, or from holding politicians accountable. Besides, it wasn't long ago that the percentage of Philadelphians with college degrees just leapt up. We already lost the "fattest" moniker to Houston some time ago and will probably lose the "poorest" title to them as well, and much of Texas is booming anyway. Insorfar as our own suburbs go -- most of them are too busy killing the goose that laid the golden egg due to their restrictive housing policies and NIMBY opposition to everything (housing, development, roads, pipelines, etc). If we cannot compete with our suburbs then why does it seem like well over half of the new housing in the region is in the City?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
This is a tired take that needs to disappear -- the "we are too poor", "we are too fat", "we are too unhealthy" excuse that keeps us from actually demanding better, or from holding politicians accountable. Besides, it wasn't long ago that the percentage of Philadelphians with college degrees just leapt up. We already lost the "fattest" moniker to Houston some time ago and will probably lose the "poorest" title to them as well, and much of Texas is booming anyway. Insorfar as our own suburbs go -- most of them are too busy killing the goose that laid the golden egg due to their restrictive housing policies and NIMBY opposition to everything (housing, development, roads, pipelines, etc). If we cannot compete with our suburbs then why does it seem like well over half of the new housing in the region is in the City?
I agree, it's a very specific measurement of poverty and limited to 10 cities.

Incomes are growing very fast in the region and city in particular. Just today on the way back from the shore, I heard a piece on NPR about how job growth in the region is outpacing the country and other "hot" markets. I mean, our media outlets are finally reporting some of the good news.

In absolute terms, we added more jobs as a region than all but 4 other metropolitan areas.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I agree, it's a very specific measurement of poverty and limited to 10 cities.

Incomes are growing very fast in the region and city in particular. Just today on the way back from the shore, I heard a piece on NPR about how job growth in the region is outpacing the country and other "hot" markets. I mean, our media outlets are finally reporting some of the good news.

In absolute terms, we added more jobs as a region than all but 4 other metropolitan areas.
The jobs numbers are very encouraging for the region, because as I've also posted in the past (I follow these numbers religiously, lol) this trend of Philly performing better than the national average really does seem to be staying the course. It's been going on since at least spring of last year, with signs showing up even during the height of the pandemic.

Also, all signs are also pointing to income, poverty, and educational attainment metrics continuing on a trajectory of improvement (FYI, American Community Survey 1-year estimates are going to be released on Sept. 12th, so we'll soon get an update on those types of measures).

Even with a stagnant population number, there's no question that there's significant churn going on in Philly's population in terms of improved economic outcomes across the board.

There's still plenty to criticize and hand-wring about regarding Philadelphia, but the narrative has to stop being so needlessly negative and destructive. It just doesn't reflect the reality of how far the city has come and how resilient it is. Everyone wants faster progress, but the monumental change Philly is going through has to be measured in decades, not days.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Sep 4, 2024 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
minor details, we just need smart people on city council- then all those issues go away in a few years. I can barely think of any differences between London and Philly that cant be solved by a new city council.
On this we agree (mostly). I doubt we could ever rival London simply because London is a world city, but we could easily be the Barcelona of America if we had such a provincial city government.

So much would have to change though - and some of it would be out of our control, such as how much Harrisburg hates us.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:18 PM
Me?!?

Expanded Parking Lot Coming to 41st & Walnut Street Instead of Planned Mixed-use Apartment Tower. At Least For Now.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...least-for-now/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:31 PM
Chris

Nice article about the new hotel in Fishtown. Beautiful project.

Hotel Anna & Bel Opens in a Former Women’s Asylum in Fishtown, Philadelphia
https://www.architecturalrecord.com/...0FT8Vv7MtWaTyw

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Nice article about the new hotel in Fishtown. Beautiful project.

Hotel Anna & Bel Opens in a Former Women’s Asylum in Fishtown, Philadelphia
https://www.architecturalrecord.com/...0FT8Vv7MtWaTyw
It really is a stunning courtyard, great addition to Philly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development