HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 3:40 PM

Grocery store opening September 12.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...u-alimentation

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 4:00 PM
Mooderator

Linky no worky.

edit - nvm, working now.

Last edited by harls; Sep 4, 2024 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Grocery store opening September 12.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...u-alimentation
I'm intrigued by this one! Are they gonna have a wide range of food? what prices? etc Exciting news for Hull nonetheless

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:14 PM

20000 square feet of store space and 80 free underground parking spots, which roughly takes the same square footage. Each space is north of $50K to build, I believe.

On one hand, I guess they need people in cars for initial success, on the other hand, yikes. Hopefully they can move away from that "free parking" model eventually.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
20000 square feet of store space and 80 free underground parking spots, which roughly takes the same square footage. Each space is north of $50K to build, I believe.

On one hand, I guess they need people in cars for initial success, on the other hand, yikes. Hopefully they can move away from that "free parking" model eventually.
If they charged $2 a visit for the parking, they could recoup their costs within a couple years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post

Does even Whole Foods that draws from all over the city need 80 spots? Where do they imagine everyone is driving from? A few commuters but most of them have lots of options. Great for the area. As long as it survives.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am actually quite relieved to hear it is opening, as I drove by there a few days ago and there is now a big sign above what look like the grocery store windows that is advertising retail space to lease.

I thought maybe the grocery store deal had fallen through.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Does even Whole Foods that draws from all over the city need 80 spots? Where do they imagine everyone is driving from? A few commuters but most of them have lots of options. Great for the area. As long as it survives.
I think 60 minute validation with a $10 purchase is the best approach.

Regarding Whole Foods, there is only one whole foods in the city/area and not a lot of businesses providing the same products/selection and/or experience.

I go there once in a while, 1/3 of the parking spots are QC plates.

On top of it, Metro Rideau, Independent Bank / Somerset, Farmboy Metcalfe all have some type of paid / validated parking system with purchase.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am actually quite relieved to hear it is opening, as I drove by there a few days ago and there is now a big sign above what look like the grocery store windows that is advertising retail space to lease.

I thought maybe the grocery store deal had fallen through.
https://groupeheafey.com/wp-content/...ry-2024-EN.pdf

In this pdf document, you will see that unit at the front (including grocery store) is spilt into 3 units.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGoose View Post

Regarding Whole Foods, there is only one whole foods in the city/area and not a lot of businesses providing the same products/selection and/or experience.

On top of it, Metro Rideau, Independent Bank / Somerset, Farmboy Metcalfe all have some type of paid / validated parking system with purchase.
Yeah, that would be the best way to do it, and charge full $20-$30 or whatever for anyone who's not shopping at a business in the building, otherwise you'll get abuse.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
https://groupeheafey.com/wp-content/...ry-2024-EN.pdf

In this pdf document, you will see that unit at the front (including grocery store) is spilt into 3 units.
Thanks. This explains why when I drove by on Wellington, the retail space facing that street doesn't look anywhere near like it could be ready for Sept. 12.

The grocery store faces Eddy.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Vieux-Hull has a lot of motorized households and the eastern part of it around Le Viu and Port de Plaisance is quite far from this grocery, which I would have preferred to see more centrally-located.

Plus there are areas outside of Vieux-Hull like Val-Tétreau (where UQO is) plus the Boulevard Fournier area that don't have grocery stores either. They're going to want to tap into that as well.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 8:55 PM
Gatinois et fier

c'est 29 etages pour la tour 3.pas 26.a moins qu'ils ont emmene ca vers le bas.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Vieux-Hull has a lot of motorized households and the eastern part of it around Le Viu and Port de Plaisance is quite far from this grocery, which I would have preferred to see more centrally-located.

Plus there are areas outside of Vieux-Hull like Val-Tétreau (where UQO is) plus the Boulevard Fournier area that don't have grocery stores either. They're going to want to tap into that as well.
Oh I am not saying nobody will drive there. But 80 spots is a lot. Most of these urban grocery stores seem to assume everyone will drive there as if they were in suburban location. The independant nature of this also doesn't bode as well as if Provigo or someone was making the investment.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 10:32 PM

Could be some of those 80 spots belong to WE3 and the store gets to use them while the building is being built. At market rates, this model easily adds a few cents on every dollar you spend here.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:50 AM

Interesting location! I wonder if central Gatineau is beginning to change with the increase in residents? Also are these people likely to go to Zibi?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:46 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

I will share a little secret but don't tell Independent on Bank St. There's no validation with purchase process and their parking system which asks customers to register their plates, has not functioned for the last year. You can park there and enjoy Bank Street as you please.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Interesting location! I wonder if central Gatineau is beginning to change with the increase in residents? Also are these people likely to go to Zibi?
Zibi also has like almost every commerical space vacant right now.

They even have a 22 000 sq ft commerical space with loading bays listed for Dec 2025.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:28 AM

Walked past the grocery that's opening tomorrow I think. Final preparations inside.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 6:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So I checked out the new Saveurs Épicerie Urbaine grocery store with my wife a few days ago. It wasn't full but there was a steady stream of customers.

It was nice and chic. They didn't cheapen out on the design or on the products.

It's 20,000 sf and to give you an idea the new Metro on Rideau is 32,000 sf.

My wife who is the real foodie in our couple said that while it was small, it still offered a very complete selection of products. So the inventory is very tight but well planned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa