HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:04 AM

Brandon Construction

Is Brandon going to continue to lag behind or is the city going to step up?

A 30 year plan to me is not good enough I think. It would've been nice to see images of what is planned.

If Calgary and Edmonton can hold their own in Alberta.
What's wrong with this picture of Brandon not taking it to the next level?
You think they would want to draw big developers to draft up plans to give the city a much needed boost it needs.
Building 25 story apartments, condos, office buildings would help attract people to want to work and live there. Just having 1 Superstore, 1 Walmart, 1 Giant Tiger is not going to cut it. I don't remember if Brandon has a mall still.

Brandon has a ton of potential of turning into something special, but at the pace they're going.
It will never happen. In due time, Brandon will be wanting to move the train tracks as well.

I wonder if Brandon has fixed the issue from having another flood. I know it's something they don't need and no one needs to hear about.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/battle-...nute-city-plan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:50 AM

You're backwards here. The city needs jobs before they can develop and build. They need to grow the local economy to support people coming to the city, only then can they build fancy towers, amenities and offices.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 6:09 AM

Who started these silly "15 minute cities will restrict our freedom" conspiracy theories? Russian Bots? Alex Jones?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf33 View Post
Is Brandon going to continue to lag behind or is the city going to step up?

A 30 year plan to me is not good enough I think. It would've been nice to see images of what is planned.

If Calgary and Edmonton can hold their own in Alberta.
What's wrong with this picture of Brandon not taking it to the next level?
You think they would want to draw big developers to draft up plans to give the city a much needed boost it needs.
Building 25 story apartments, condos, office buildings would help attract people to want to work and live there. Just having 1 Superstore, 1 Walmart, 1 Giant Tiger is not going to cut it. I don't remember if Brandon has a mall still.

Brandon has a ton of potential of turning into something special, but at the pace they're going.
It will never happen. In due time, Brandon will be wanting to move the train tracks as well.

I wonder if Brandon has fixed the issue from having another flood. I know it's something they don't need and no one needs to hear about.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/battle-...nute-city-plan
This is just not realistic.

Brandon is a small city with 50,000 people. Right now, it can be argued that Winnipeg should not be compared to Calgary or Edmonton, since Calgary is on pace to double the population of Winnipeg in 10 years, with Edmonton not too far behind.

Brandon will never be populated enough to build 25 story buildings. Red Deer and Lethbridge now have nearly twice the population of Brandon, and the largest building on Red Deer is 9-10 stories, IIRC. Even Saskatoon does not have a 25 story building (their largest building is 18 stories), and it's 6 times the population of Brandon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 1:51 PM

1 family controls (estimate) 80% construction in Brandon. They have their finger (and both hands) in apartments, condo, commercial & land development. also own WHL franchise, minor hockey "elite" academy, hockey rinks, etc.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
You're backwards here. The city needs jobs before they can develop and build. They need to grow the local economy to support people coming to the city, only then can they build fancy towers, amenities and offices.

Sorry for how it sounded. I know Brandon and Winnipeg equally is not the same as Calgary and Edmonton.

I just believe their 30yr vision is a bit off. A 50yr vision would sound a lot better with an idea of what the city could look like. If they follow Saskatoon's model. Everything will be fine.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:39 PM

Brandon used to have a very vibrant downtown, but then the Brandon Shoppers Mall was created on the south end of the city and the downtown slowly started to die. The final bullet came from the idiocy of the flood plain development at the north end.

I have no idea how the downtown could be revitalized but railing against the 15 minute city is helping nobody.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Who started these silly "15 minute cities will restrict our freedom" conspiracy theories? Russian Bots? Alex Jones?
It seems like after things went back to normal after covid, and it turned out to not be a conspiracy to turn us all into lizard people or whatever, the conspiracy nuts needed something new to feel persecuted about and the youtube grifters that pander to them needed something new to keep their views up. So along came the whole "gov't wants to lock you up in districts" thing, probably egged on by russian interference.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:49 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Brandon used to have a very vibrant downtown, but then the Brandon Shoppers Mall was created on the south end of the city and the downtown slowly started to die. The final bullet came from the idiocy of the flood plain development at the north end.

I have no idea how the downtown could be revitalized but railing against the 15 minute city is helping nobody.
Yeah, I lived there for a few years back in the late 90s. Downtown just seems hollowed out now.

Good memories of the Double Decker tavern and that movie theater that showed Titanic for like a year.

edit - The Strand -

https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2087

Now replaced by a parking lot:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GPFhuTCbz1YUG1Tp6

Last edited by harls; Aug 30, 2024 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 11:08 AM

^^
😒
The Strand in Brandon. The Galaxy in Killarney. Great memories and all gone.
Actually the destruction of Killarney’s Main Street is even more depressing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan