HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 2:50 AM

As a centrist, I find the CBC bias mainly in the omission of perspectives from the right (moreso on the social than economic), or omission of context or counterpoints that would tend to take away from a left-leaning preference (again mainly social than economic).

One thing that is obvious comparing CBC coverage vs. other international coverage of Canada (when it happens - not often admittedly!), is that CBC rarely (if ever) mentions Canada is an outlier from much of the global West and the rest of the world in terms of things like pursuing identity silos rather than a broad shared national one (aspects of decolonisation, use of ethnic and gender labels); drugs (in enabling safer supply and supervised use); abortion (in having no regulation on it); citizenship, immigration and refugee policy (in providing citizenship by birth, permitting a broad basis for refugee claims, the TFW/IMP, etc.) - topics where there is a left-leaning preference to the status quo of being a global outlier. The effect is that it normalises the status quo for the audience.

Some recent examples on topics where there tends to be a clear social left/centre/right difference in perspective:

- stories related to supervised injection sites (search "supervised injection"): there is a preponderance of perspectives taken from proponents of these sites. The headlines either question the Ontario government's recent decision to close some of these sites ("As Ontario restricts supervised consumption, can 'HART Hubs' fill the gap?"), or focus on the perspective of a supporter of these sites ("Hamilton church leader says supervised injection site 'reduced violence' rather than caused it"). What's not evident in the CBC coverage are stories that lead with the safety concerns of the communities that prompted the government review of these sites and their closure, and concerns about the data and assumptions driving the use of supervised injection sites as harm reduction. (The National Post has written on this, for example). If the CBC is all one reads, one would be missing this essential context.

- stories related to abortion (search "abortion"): although there isn't actually any feasible legislative or regulatory change in Canada, and no party actually has changes to the status quo in its platform, there is a disproportionate amount of coverage, often drawing from the US especially since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, and the lead-up to the US election. This has the effect of making it appear more of an issue than it actually is in Canada, and feeds into left-leaning political perspectives in Canada raising undue fear for changes (and, for many, of the Conservatives) here. (I note that there was fair coverage of the overt partisan hijacking of a recent Commons committee to divert attention from domestic violence to abortion spearheaded by the Liberals - but that was a Canadian Press article.)

That all said, the CBC is better in some ways now than, say, 10 years ago, when pieces by Neil Macdonald and others (with clear bias) were passed off as "analysis" - they are now correctly labelled as "opinion". There is still some work to do on this (many "analysis" pieces miss context, in the same way as I contrasted a CBC vs. a local newspaper earlier); and there are still inconsistencies in how the CBC addresses race and ethnicity (see the Ombud's review of When is race relevant?), and the focus on Indigenous perspectives, whilst what one would expect for a public broadcaster, does mean that some perspectives are privileged over others.

This is all consistent with other findings of bias, e.g."CBC News Rated Lean Left". The Ombuds reviews often admits these biases but finds them within the bounds of "editorial judgment", and says the CBC's approach is to achieve balance over time. Not sure that that actually works out in practice though.

Bottom line, sure the CBC has biases, but on the whole it is still part of the spectrum. As long as you don't use it as your only source, but also look at other perspectives you'll be reasonably informed.

As the public broadcaster, it should be held to a higher standard for balance and bias-free reporting - and I think this could be served by narrowing its work to national and global level topics, spending more time researching and interviewing and writing to collate perspectives across the spectrum - and competing with PBS, BBC, DW, France 24, etc. as our contribution to global media - and avoiding competing with local media/newspapers/etc.

Last edited by caveat.doctor; Aug 29, 2024 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 12:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
As a centrist, I find the CBC bias mainly in the omission of perspectives from the right (moreso on the social than economic), or omission of context or counterpoints that would tend to take away from a left-leaning preference (again mainly social than economic).

One thing that is obvious comparing CBC coverage vs. other international coverage of Canada (when it happens - not often admittedly!), is that CBC rarely (if ever) mentions Canada is an outlier from much of the global West and the rest of the world in terms of things like pursuing identity silos rather than a broad shared national one (aspects of decolonisation, use of ethnic and gender labels); drugs (in enabling safer supply and supervised use); abortion (in having no regulation on it); citizenship, immigration and refugee policy (in providing citizenship by birth, permitting a broad basis for refugee claims, the TFW/IMP, etc.) - topics where there is a left-leaning preference to the status quo of being a global outlier. The effect is that it normalises the status quo for the audience.

Some recent examples on topics where there tends to be a clear social left/centre/right difference in perspective:

- stories related to supervised injection sites (search "supervised injection"): there is a preponderance of perspectives taken from proponents of these sites. The headlines either question the Ontario government's recent decision to close some of these sites ("As Ontario restricts supervised consumption, can 'HART Hubs' fill the gap?"), or focus on the perspective of a supporter of these sites ("Hamilton church leader says supervised injection site 'reduced violence' rather than caused it"). What's not evident in the CBC coverage are stories that lead with the safety concerns of the communities that prompted the government review of these sites and their closure, and concerns about the data and assumptions driving the use of supervised injection sites as harm reduction. (The National Post has written on this, for example). If the CBC is all one reads, one would be missing this essential context.

- stories related to abortion (search "abortion"): although there isn't actually any feasible legislative or regulatory change in Canada, and no party actually has changes to the status quo in its platform, there is a disproportionate amount of coverage, often drawing from the US especially since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, and the lead-up to the US election. This has the effect of making it appear more of an issue than it actually is in Canada, and feeds into left-leaning political perspectives in Canada raising undue fear for changes (and, for many, of the Conservatives) here. (I note that there was fair coverage of the overt partisan hijacking of a recent Commons committee to divert attention from domestic violence to abortion spearheaded by the Liberals - but that was a Canadian Press article.)

That all said, the CBC is better in some ways now than, say, 10 years ago, when pieces by Neil Macdonald and others (with clear bias) were passed off as "analysis" - they are now correctly labelled as "opinion". There is still some work to do on this (many "analysis" pieces miss context, in the same way as I contrasted a CBC vs. a local newspaper earlier); and there are still inconsistencies in how the CBC addresses race and ethnicity (see the Ombud's review of When is race relevant?), and the focus on Indigenous perspectives, whilst what one would expect for a public broadcaster, does mean that some perspectives are privileged over others.

This is all consistent with other findings of bias, e.g."CBC News Rated Lean Left". The Ombuds reviews often admits these biases but finds them within the bounds of "editorial judgment", and says the CBC's approach is to achieve balance over time. Not sure that that actually works out in practice though.Goo

Bottom line, sure the CBC has biases, but on the whole it is still part of the spectrum. As long as you don't use it as your only source, but also look at other perspectives you'll be reasonably informed.

As the public broadcaster, it should be held to a higher standard for balance and bias-free reporting - and I think this could be served by narrowing its work to national and global level topics, spending more time researching and interviewing and writing to collate perspectives across the spectrum - and competing with PBS, BBC, DW, France 24, etc. as our contribution to global media - and avoiding competing with local media/newspapers/etc.
Good points.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 1:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
An excellent post overall. I agree. The CBC has the potential to be a respected international news broadcaster like the BBC (sans the neverending soccer coverage). This should be a primary focus (CBC World Service anyone???)

But, as I have pointed out before, there are small markets in the country where there is essentially no alternative to the CBC for local news coverage. This should be kept in mind.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 3:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Most "news" shouldn't be classified as "left" or "right". It is "news" and it should reflect "facts" (not "alternative facts").

I'd also like the CBC to follow the BBC model, despite the ongoing (financial) problems affecting the latter. This direction would be worth increasing funding for the network.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 9:03 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
It's not about offending you, the poster, if fellow forumers don't like him. We aren't criticizing YOU. We're saying this particular YouTuber, J.J. McCullough sux.

Many Americans seem to like him. I'm assuming they are the primary reason he has almost 1 million subscribers on YouTube
If Architype likes him that is fine with me.

For me, this guy's all about the views and the 'algorithm'. This is why I don't like him.

..and his haircut.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 9:28 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
If Architype likes him that is fine with me.

For me, this guy's all about the views and the 'algorithm'. This is why I don't like him.

..and his haircut.
It's all about clicks, and standing out from the crowd. It's the content that counts; I don't always agree, but he highlights things we may not otherwise think about. TBH, my point was that there isn't much commentary of this kind by Canadians that amounts to anything important that isn't dry and boring, and Canadian commentators talk mostly about American stuff. It's also hard to find a movie made in Canada that is set in Canada. My point is, this is evidence that we need a national broadcaster, because the commercial marketplace doesn't care.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 10:47 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's all about clicks, and standing out from the crowd. It's the content that counts; I don't always agree, but he highlights things we may not otherwise think about. TBH, my point was that there isn't much commentary of this kind by Canadians that amounts to anything important that isn't dry and boring, and Canadian commentators talk mostly about American stuff. It's also hard to find a movie made in Canada that is set in Canada. My point is, this is evidence that we need a national broadcaster, because the commercial marketplace doesn't care.
Another famous youtuber Linus Sebastian aka Linus Tech Tips (from your neck of the woods) has 15 million subscribers and continuously shills for the American audience stating every product in US dollars, pricing his crap in USD, sponsoring US only companies in his recent videos (Jawa).

Wouldn't surprise me if he cleaned camp, packed the tents and moved south.

Last edited by harls; Aug 30, 2024 at 1:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
An excellent post overall. I agree. The CBC has the potential to be a respected international news broadcaster like the BBC (sans the neverending soccer coverage). This should be a primary focus (CBC World Service anyone???)
There was some potential I think with CBC Newsworld and Newsworld International (which was actually American, but used CBC content). Alas with the decline in TV/cable it's probably less relevant now. That said, when idle at home I do make a point to have streaming in the background something like Channel News Asia from Singapore; perhaps conversely there is a global audience that would be interested in a Canadian angle.

Quote:
But, as I have pointed out before, there are small markets in the country where there is essentially no alternative to the CBC for local news coverage. This should be kept in mind.
Point well taken. That should be part of the CBC mandate: local coverage where it doesn't already exist, and to not compete with/displace private options - or have some justification that it's providing some value-added in terms of perspective or expert analysis.

-

I should also add to my earlier comment that I was focusing on online CBC News (as did the All Sides bias analysis I linked). I don't watch CBC on TV anymore but do listen to Radio 1, and still do find that news interviewers commonly have a partisan slant: recently a radio host spoke of "Pierre Poilievre and his ilk", rather than a more neutral term; on more than one occasion, the host brought up irrelevant topics with a Conservative (e.g. "Enough about EV tariffs, the Liberals did what you wanted; I want to go back to what 'some people' are saying about a hidden agenda on abortion..."), that sort of thing. Perhaps a bit harder to control for when broadcasting live, as it's entirely up to the interviewer's own biases and their willingness to self-control.

Again, looking at the Ombuds reviews, this bias seems to be acknowledged, but within the bounds of "editorial discretion", with the vague intention that, over time, different perspectives are given as well. Seeing the number of complaints about, for example, the handling of pieces that are negative on the Catholic Church or right-leaning parties (and none in the opposite way) suggest there is some bias there; but seeing a rough balance between complaints saying the CBC is unfair both to Israel and to Palestinians suggests the CBC probably actually has a good balanced approach to that conflict.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:

We used to have a CBC World Service, it was called Radio Canada International which had shortwave services available worldwide. Instead of evolving it into an online streaming service and/or syndication service, the shortwave service is gone and its online presence is next to nothing. Most of CBC’s presence outside Canada is airings of some programs on NPR stations in the US (which is an extra source of income for the CBC at least).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 3:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
We used to have a CBC World Service, it was called Radio Canada International which had shortwave services available worldwide. Instead of evolving it into an online streaming service and/or syndication service, the shortwave service is gone and its online presence is next to nothing. Most of CBC’s presence outside Canada is airings of some programs on NPR stations in the US (which is an extra source of income for the CBC at least).
I remember RCI. When I was younger, I was a dedicated SW listener and a DXer.

RCI's transmission towers were located on the Tantramar Marsh, about 50 km southeast of Moncton. They had multiple towers each about 200 feet tall or so, adorned with multiple red blinking lights to warn off wayward pilots, When I was driving back and forth from Halifax to PEI when I was going to med school, it was a major landmark along the way, visible for miles after dark.

It's all gone now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Most "news" shouldn't be classified as "left" or "right". It is "news" and it should reflect "facts" (not "alternative facts").
Surely it is not a surprise to you that there are different ways to spin a "news" story.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Another famous youtuber Linus Sebastian aka Linus Tech Tips (from your neck of the woods) has 15 million subscribers and continuously shills for the American audience stating every product in US dollars, pricing his crap in USD, sponsoring US only companies in his recent videos (Jawa).

Wouldn't surprise me if he cleaned camp, packed the tents and moved south.
Isn't that a positive for Canada when youtubers with millions of subscribers targeting an international audience are based in Canada?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Yes he can be annoying, but easily more informative than any other Canadian commentator, if you can even find one. Canadians can get so butthurt with any little criticism, eh? That being said, I actually think he would agree with you on many things.
I've met JJ McCullough a few times, and honestly he's a pretty cool guy. Haven't watched any of his videos in ages, but when I did I thought they were all pretty fun and interesting. I think most of the hate for him comes from him having a not so popular opinion on Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:37 AM

Quote:
RCI's transmission towers were located on the Tantramar Marsh
The weather could get pretty ugly there

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I think most of the hate for him comes from him having a not so popular opinion on Quebec.
No, he was just annoying AF, especially as someone already said, the purposeful saying of "aboot"

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 12:48 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
I've met JJ McCullough a few times, and honestly he's a pretty cool guy. Haven't watched any of his videos in ages, but when I did I thought they were all pretty fun and interesting. I think most of the hate for him comes from him having a not so popular opinion on Quebec.

Good for you. So tell us if it's a schtick or not, since you are very intimate with the fellow.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It seems his negative, politics-influenced opinions have mellowed out over the years and he is more focused on cultural commentary these days.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've grown highly disillusioned with commercial radio stations (they always play the same damn songs!) plus I don't really do satellite radio or music streaming.

As a result I find I'm increasingly listening to Radio-Canada's ICI Musique, basically their second network which is almost all music all the time. This would be equivalent to CBC Radio Two for most of you guys I suppose.

Most of the songs they play I'm not familiar with, but that's kinda the point I guess?

Anyone else gone through a similar evolution?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've grown highly disillusioned with commercial radio stations (they always play the same damn songs!) plus I don't really do satellite radio or music streaming.

As a result I find I'm increasingly listening to Radio-Canada's ICI Musique, basically their second network which is almost all music all the time. This would be equivalent to CBC Radio Two for most of you guys I suppose.

Most of the songs they play I'm not familiar with, but that's kinda the point I guess?

I listen to CBC Radio 2 most of the day at work, switching over to Sirius XM Spa after 3 PM when the programming on Radio-2 switches to rock. I use the Sirius XM streaming app on a former IPhone, now being used as an IPod on my Bose sound dock.

I haven't really listened to popular radio in about 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

If you like radio Sirius is well worth it. Like living in 1990s New York or Los Angeles with every band a good DJ playing good music.

I hope they keep CBC radio. It is fairly cheap and not as irredeemably biased as the TV and online content is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada