HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
False Creek Station is on hold now might return taller and as a residential project.

https://renx.ca/vancouver-office-mar...ape-challenges
Wouldn't there be (or wouldn't there had been) any issues with height restrictions due to the hospital as a nearby neighbour and any possible helicopter ambulence flight paths?

Especially with Providence Health Care proposing to add a heliport and landing pad to the facility?

I would have assumed that those would still apply, and would still override the TOD legislation housing requirements where applicable.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Wouldn't there be (or wouldn't there had been) any issues with height restrictions due to the hospital as a nearby neighbour and any possible helicopter ambulence flight paths?

Especially with Providence Health Care proposing to add a heliport and landing pad to the facility?

I would have assumed that those would still apply, and would still override the TOD legislation housing requirements where applicable.
That article is from 2021, any idea if it was approved and is being included in this build?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 6:57 PM

The viewcone incursions to allow for the helipad were approved so we can assume it is being built. Transport Canada will establish flight paths, which will likely be to the east of the hospital, along with the required building height limits.

The 19 storey 522 Malkin (formerly 456 Prior) is far closer to the hospital so 1220 Station should have no issues. Remember this is a hospital, even at 11 stories its around the same height as a 20 storey residential tower.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
That article is from 2021, any idea if it was approved and is being included in this build?
The website still says it won't be included when the hospital opens but all the infrastructure will be setup for it to be added in the future.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
The website still says it won't be included when the hospital opens but all the infrastructure will be setup for it to be added in the future.
I'm curious if/when that will come. It's a major change to either move this functionality from VGH and/or augment with a 2nd Level 1 trauma centre.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:55 AM

Here's the McDonalds site proposal.

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/1527-main-st

Images from Dialog

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:09 AM

The McDs is more exciting architecturally.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:11 AM

That’s underwhelming. 4 decades waiting for this to get redeveloped

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:43 AM

Agreed but then considering the area it's as much density that you'll probably see. Would have been nice to allow some intrusion into the view cone on that side of Main Street considering the right side will be protected by Thornton Park/Chinatown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:02 AM

FSR 5.97 is a disappointing number given the location. Maybe that's the best they could do with the height limits.

It's a step forward for that section of Main Street though, as it still has an industrial feel. The gaps are quickly being filled in. Can't remember if there was a proposal for the large parking lot to the north. That's another big piece of blight on that stretch.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
FSR 5.97 is a disappointing number given the location. Maybe that's the best they could do with the height limits.

It's a step forward for that section of Main Street though, as it still has an industrial feel. The gaps are quickly being filled in. Can't remember if there was a proposal for the large parking lot to the north. That's another big piece of blight on that stretch.
COV owned lots though for some reason they aren't shown as city owned properties in Vanmap.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:39 AM

Could we assume that those two breezeways are for McDonald's and maybe a drive through?

Yes, it's a bit disappointing given the location and the wait, but the density was to be expected thanks to our wonderful viewcones and height restrictions, and as for the design, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that it's a Dialog design or that they were the architects of choice given the next door neighbour development they also did.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:50 AM

Looks decent, but something 50 storeys would be more appropriate.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Could we assume that those two breezeways are for McDonald's and maybe a drive through?
I think the usual Vancouver planner hate-on for drive throughs would veto any grandfathering of the existing drive through use.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:12 AM

No drive through is proposed.

I don’t mind the proposal, fits within the emerging context of the flats. My issue is if you look at the ground plane, it seems like the development is raised from ground level probably for flood protection. I feel like this impacts the activation opportunities.

Also seems like the McDonald’s is retuning to the CRU. Here’s to hoping they can emulate the European McDonald’s that are cleaner and higher end. Knowing the crowd here, chances are slim.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:17 AM

Quote:
COV owned lots though for some reason they aren't shown as city owned properties in Vanmap.
Use this, not Vanmap.

https://opendata.vancouver.ca/explor...roperties/map/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanight93 View Post
Also seems like the McDonald’s is retuning to the CRU. Here’s to hoping they can emulate the European McDonald’s that are cleaner and higher end. Knowing the crowd here, chances are slim.
Yes, they show the CRU interior design which is very much modern McDonald's.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:47 PM

I assume this development will trigger a new intersection at Central and Main?

Also interesting to note that the existing Quebec bike lane goes into general roadway ROW, which I assume is to be reserved for streetcar ROW like they did along 1st?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I assume this development will trigger a new intersection at Central and Main?

Also interesting to note that the existing Quebec bike lane goes into general roadway ROW, which I assume is to be reserved for streetcar ROW like they did along 1st?
They'll probably wait to figure out what happens on the other side of Main before they build an intersection?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
They'll probably wait to figure out what happens on the other side of Main before they build an intersection?
Fair enough, I just assumed they would make the project build a new intersection with the Services Agreement and the city-owned land (parking lot) between Main and Western they'd convert later and keep it as a dead end for now. (Since this is rental and there is the chance of the City getting zero CAC or DCL money (aside form the DCL utility money)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver