HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 3:50 PM

Their resistance to progress is not surprising. Probably older folks who aren't invested in the future of this province and don't want anything to change until after they're dead. Their irrational fears are validated by a steady diet of disinformation.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:57 PM

Some people are objecting to the fact they won't be able to have septic fields anymore and will have to pay to join their house a real waste water treatment plant as the lands around them subdivide.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 5:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Some people are objecting to the fact they won't be able to have septic fields anymore and will have to pay to join their house a real waste water treatment plant as the lands around them subdivide.
waste water is federaly regulated not civic municiple or provincial

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
is there ligit concerns or people mad cause they dont wana be dealing with anything to do with the city

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...2050-1.7296498

5 Winnipeg-area municipalities oppose regional planning framework
Selkirk, Niverville, Headingley, St. Andrews and East St. Paul protest provincially imposed Plan 20-50

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Aug 16, 2024 1:29 PM CDT | Last Updated: August 16

Five Winnipeg-area municipalities are protesting what their leaders describe as a "forced involvement" in a regional planning process they say will increase the cost and complexity of their governments and deprive them of their ability to make their own land-use decisions.

The City of Selkirk, the Town of Niverville and the rural municipalities of St. Andrews, East St. Paul and Headingley are all expressing various degrees of opposition to Plan 20-50, a regional planning framework for Winnipeg and 17 surrounding municipalities.

The plan, ordered up by Brian Pallister's former PC government, was developed by a provincially appointed body called the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region and is in the midst of a public hearing process.

Five of the municipalities that would be subject to the plan are either requesting changes or wish to be excluded from it altogether.

Selkirk chief administrative officer Duane Nicol, who has expressed opposition to the regional planning process since the Pallister government initially proposed it in 2019, said the province has effectively created a new level of municipal government with the power to force municipalities to amend their own land-use frameworks to conform to the regional framework.
I'm on a community FB group for a town in a CMA municipality. Plenty are opposing this, but no one has a solid argument against it other than "we weren't consulted" and the odd true crazy posting conspiracy articles against 15 min city development. My guess is spillover from the true crazies is making typical grumpy old people oppose this without knowing why they're opposing it, and they're the ones that show up to these kinds of public meetings.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
waste water is federaly regulated not civic municiple or provincial
Not really. The decision to extend wastewater services and to allow subdivisions that require expansion of wastewater treatment facilities is a municipal decision. It’s also the municipality that decides whether unserviced lots are required to hook up when a sewer is extended past the property.

It’s how most of the region already operates without there being a regional plan.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
...no one has a solid argument against it other than "we weren't consulted"...
Even if they were consulted and presented with the facts, they'd still oppose it. That's probably why they weren't consulted.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
Not really. The decision to extend wastewater services and to allow subdivisions that require expansion of wastewater treatment facilities is a municipal decision. It’s also the municipality that decides whether unserviced lots are required to hook up when a sewer is extended past the property.

It’s how most of the region already operates without there being a regional plan.
I can't remember if it was the Manitoba Clean Environment Commission or some other provincial dept that told West St. Paul to look at providing a treatment plan for the RM as with land subdivision there septic field liquid effluent starting to seep into the ditches when the ground got rain saturated.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Here is what I know for downtown:

Some Railside buildings are in for development permit. It's happening this year.

10 Storey building in the Exchange.

10 Storey Building in the Exchange. (we've seen this one)

12 Storey building.

14 Storey building.

12 Storey building.

McLaren Hotel Addition - 10-12 Storeys?

This does not include the resumption of the True North Hotel, which is now one slightly taller tower....or the 9 Storey building on Portage East....or the completion of the 14 Storey tower at Donald/St. Mary.
Very cool. Are there two 10-storey exchange buildings?
Is the McLaren addition beside or on top?
Any other info on any of these?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 12:59 PM
What could go wrong?

This is the very conceptual plan for the McLaren.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This is the very conceptual plan for the McLaren.

Does anyone know what's up with this? It's been so long I totally forgot about it lol.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:03 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe it is in the hands of the Housing Accelerator Fund looking for funding...as is every other significant multi-family housing proposal.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:05 PM

Quote:
I believe it is in the hands of the Housing Accelerator Fund looking for funding...as is every other significant multi-family housing proposal.
Man when they announce the "winners" of the grant money in September this forum will be going gangbusters with project photos and discussion haha. Add in interest rates starting to fall and I bet 2025 will be real busy around here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:37 PM
What could go wrong?

My hope is that the larger already announced projects don't scoop up all of the available funding. Projects like The Bay and True North/Portage place are planning a large number of units each. Now I want those projects to succeed 100% but I would much rather a large number of finer grain, smaller projects in the 30 to 100 unit range receive the funding and spread out the projects.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 10:39 PM

@Trueviking

Are any of those projects you cited anything to do with the big projects you said you were working on or is there more to come (potentially)?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I'm on a community FB group for a town in a CMA municipality. Plenty are opposing this, but no one has a solid argument against it other than "we weren't consulted" and the odd true crazy posting conspiracy articles against 15 min city development. My guess is spillover from the true crazies is making typical grumpy old people oppose this without knowing why they're opposing it, and they're the ones that show up to these kinds of public meetings.
I think you're right... and the province listened to them. Pretty disappointing decision from the premier.

Last edited by KnickKnack; Aug 23, 2024 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 9:57 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
My hope is that the larger already announced projects don't scoop up all of the available funding. Projects like The Bay and True North/Portage place are planning a large number of units each. Now I want those projects to succeed 100% but I would much rather a large number of finer grain, smaller projects in the 30 to 100 unit range receive the funding and spread out the projects.
HAF is capped at $5 million per project, so it's only 5 projects....assuming they don't give less than that, which would be a bad move because it would likely not be enough to make projects go....there is another tranche of money in december....those big projects are for sure all applying....they've had dozens of projects apply.

my hope is that they care about quality....every developer that has had a poorly designed project that has failed over the last ten years had pulled it out of the filing cabinet and is madly trying to get some money....too many in the exchange district for my liking.

Good projects with good design....

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:08 AM
surely you agree with me

I would expect that not-for-profits might be at the head of the line over private developers. At least in this round. Particularly small, less proven developers. They will be able to deliver more affordable and sustainable projects, typically. There’s lots of federal funding helping them right now so they have a window of viability. Will be interesting to see how they do it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:49 AM

Now that city council is almost done their summer break, there are some new development notices up on the City of Winnipeg website:

https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/ppd/PublicNotices/

These projects will all be going to their respective community committees on September 5. The agendas (which will have renderings of the buildings) should be available on August 30. Here is a quick summary of the more interesting projects:

134 Plaza Dr:
VARIANCE: 24-144204/D
Application for two multifamily buildings containing a total of 493 dwelling units. This is on the site of the former 10,000 Villages/Mennonite Central Committee building. It looks like both buildings will be 13 stories tall.
More Info: https://www.ventura.mb.ca/developmen...4-plaza-drive/

666 McMillan Ave:
Application for a 4-story multifamily building. This project has gone through numerous revisions already and the existing houses were already knocked down about a year ago. It looks like the current design is a 39-unit apartment building with a projected completion date of September 1, 2026.
More Info: https://www.paragonliving.com/projec...cmillan-avenue

927 Notre Dame Ave:
Application for a 4-story mixed-use building on a surface parking lot. This is right beside Jeanne's Bakery. Nice to see another new building going in on Notre Dame after the success of the new building at 835 Notre Dame Ave.

473-475 Flora Ave:
Application for a new multifamily building at the corner of Flora Ave and Powers St. Looks to be about 18 units based on the requested parking variance. Not too often you see a new apartment building being built in the middle of the North End.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 2:48 AM

Who had sleepy and dusty Notre Dame Ave. on their bingo card for having all this new development? It's great to see it filling in as you drive in from the west. Always a fave view of mine. Too bad Portage Ave. doesn't have the same dramatic cityscape looming over it on the drive into downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 3:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Is 670 McMillan the one that used to look like a series of old buildings? With a giant cornice?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan