HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From the Canada section:

Quote:
DailyHive had an interesting article about the Jim Pattison Group purchasing 5855-5955 Steeles Avenue East in Scarborough, which was previously planned to be developed as “Lesso Mall”. The property is now proposed to be developed with a large warehouse and distribution centre instead.

The article talks about how this is a downgrade for the site from the previous mall plans, but it misses the point on what the larger implications might be - the Jim Pattison Group owns Save-On-Foods, which notably only operates in Western Canada at this time. If they are building a distribution centre, this could potentially mean that they are planning on expanding into Ontario/Eastern Canada.
Very interesting news indeed. If Save-On-Foods expands to the east, initial growth will be confined to southern Ontario, but, eventually, we might see a new competitor in the Maritimes too.
If I may be speculative, the event which is fueling the impending MID West expansion is the pre-sale of two large industrial lots within the portion of the park to be expanded. It has been suggested one of these lots might be for a Home depot distribution centre. What if the second lot was sold to Jim Pattison for a possible Save-On-Food distribution centre???

Of course, I have no inside knowledge of who the buyer is, but, the construction of a distribution centre in Ontario might be heralding an even more aggressive eastern expansion. Could we soon see Save-On-Foods in the Maritimes?

This schematic shows the first phase of the proposed MID West expansion, and the two large lots that will be located on the extension of Horsman Road leading down to DeLong. Who are the two businesses which have purchased these large lots? Could they be Home Depot and Save-On-Foods???

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
From the Canada section:

Very interesting news indeed. If Save-On-Foods expands to the east, initial growth will be confined to southern Ontario, but, eventually, we might see a new competitor in the Maritimes too.
They also own Urban Fare......an chain of "downtown sized" grocery stores in Vancouver.

Last edited by sailor734; Aug 9, 2024 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:42 PM

Former Shoppers Drug Mart space at CF Champlain is now leased according to the recently updated leasing plan.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent! Let the speculation begin!

Unless this is just for a temporary relocation like AE next door...........

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:49 PM

Saw an interesting discussion on Retail Talk and Share FB group. Someone left a comment asking how LL Bean is doing, someone responded that their friend works there since day 1 and said that unless things change LL Bean will not be renewing their lease at CF Champlain. Looks like this location is not doing as good as they should be.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 7:09 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Saw an interesting discussion on Retail Talk and Share FB group. Someone left a comment asking how LL Bean is doing, someone responded that their friend works there since day 1 and said that unless things change LL Bean will not be renewing their lease at CF Champlain. Looks like this location is not doing as good as they should be.
I've been. We have a household income of 65k a year and it's not in my price range personally. I assume their target audience isn't myself though

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 1:03 PM

Looks like Calendar Club will be inside the former Shoppers Drug Mart at CF Champlain according to their store locator. Opening mid-October.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Aug 14, 2024 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I would buy more there, but, I find more clothing to my tastes (and size preferences) at Eddie Bauer. They get most of my money.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 7:01 PM

New job listings on Indeed for Canada Weather Gear at CF Champlain. They are part of the same company as Fairweather. And according to their store locator, they only currently have one location in Toronto at Dufferin Mall. https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Fairweathe...=New+Brunswick

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 7:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
New job listings on Indeed for Canada Weather Gear at CF Champlain. They are part of the same company as Fairweather. And according to their store locator, they only currently have one location in Toronto at Dufferin Mall. https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Fairweathe...=New+Brunswick
That's a bit odd. Doesn't sound like a big footprint store. They may end up in one of the smaller vacant CRUs in the mall. That would be a good thing!

https://canadaweathergear.com/collec...xoCeHsQAvD_BwE

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 7:20 PM

Quote:
That's a bit odd. Doesn't sound like a big footprint store. They may end up in one of the smaller vacant CRUs in the mall. That would be a good thing!

https://canadaweathergear.com/collec...xoCeHsQAvD_BwE
Maybe the former SoftMoc? Maybe that’s why Calendar Club is setting up at the former Shoppers Drug Mart instead this year?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 9:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The signage for the second of two Stacked Pancake Houses in the metro area has been installed, in the Plaza Boulevard Centre, in the last CRU adjacent to Mathnasium.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 9:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Work is underway in the former Weight Watchers space at Wheeler Park. Rumour is that it will be yet another vape shop.

A bit disappointing, but, it is a small space in what is otherwise a big box plaza and probably quite difficult to rent. It will at least be nice to see another empty store front filled.

With Laura and Melanie Lynn opening at Wheeler Park in September, this will actually leave only a single vacant CRU in the development (the former Source store). That's actually pretty good for a plaza previously in an existential crisis after the Kent and Costco shadow anchors decided to relocate elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
The signage for the second of two Stacked Pancake Houses in the metro area has been installed, in the Plaza Boulevard Centre, in the last CRU adjacent to Mathnasium.
It opened 2 days ago.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 10:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It opened 2 days ago.
Really!!! I'll have to try them out. It's not too far to drive, and the reviews of their Dieppe location have been quite good.

Stacked could be bad news for Pur & Simple. They also have two metro locations, and in both cases, the stores are not too far from one another.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Really!!! I'll have to try them out. It's not too far to drive, and the reviews of their Dieppe location have been quite good.

Stacked could be bad news for Pur & Simple. They also have two metro locations, and in both cases, the stores are not too far from one another.
I went to the new Stacked location this morning and I'll return. Quality and quantity were on point for the price. I found it much better than Pur & Simple, and Coras. If I were to choose over the breakfast franchises in the area, I still prefer IHOP, but it's a hike to get out there for breakfast.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 5:33 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
I went to the new Stacked location this morning and I'll return. Quality and quantity were on point for the price. I found it much better than Pur & Simple, and Coras. If I were to choose over the breakfast franchises in the area, I still prefer IHOP, but it's a hike to get out there for breakfast.
Same, just went there this morning with my family for breakfast and it was great. Big full plates and the taste was great, like you said, not too expensive.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Same, just went there this morning with my family for breakfast and it was great. Big full plates and the taste was great, like you said, not too expensive.
I see they show as "open" on the westside in SJ and "coming soon" for the location by the eastside Walmart. I'll have to give them a try.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Coffee retailer Nespresso launching unique Pavilion boutique in Quebec
Retail Insider
By Mario Toneguzzi
Date: August 16, 2024
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...bec-interview/

This is a new pop-up concept for the coffee retailer. Could this be something we might see at CF Champlain at some point down the road? This new concept is being trialed in Trois Rivieres (not much bigger than Moncton).

Quote:
The Pavilion itself also comes in different formats – rectangular, circular, square.

The one in Trois-Rivières will be 233 square feet. It will be in a common area, close to the main entrance and not far from the food court. This will be the company’s 10th boutique in Quebec.

Canada will be the first location internationally to launch this concept as a full boutique. There’s one open in Sweden but it’s not a full boutique.

“Moving forward they’re all going to be like this worldwide,” explained Morin. “So this is the new format.

“The brand is constantly evolving. They want to make sure that the pop-up was consistent with the new brand design of the overall permanent format boutique. It’s just a constant evolution. The design team is refreshing the look and feel of the boutiques and the pop-up boutiques on a regular basis.

“Following the big revamp of our boutiques it naturally made sense to use some of those same concepts and apply it towards the pop-up as well.”
There is a Nespresso store at HSC in Halifax. I know Monctonians who trek down there to load up on pods. I think this format would work well at CF Champlain. If a pop-up here were successful, a permanent store might follow (just as what happened with Lush).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 7:13 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
[B][SIZE="4"]
This is a new pop-up concept for the coffee retailer. Could this be something we might see at CF Champlain at some point down the road? This new concept is being trialed in Trois Rivieres (not much bigger than Moncton).
StatsCan pop. est. for 2023 are:
Trois-Rivieres 169,204
Moncton 178,971

Looks like they already did the translating into French for bilingual signage as well .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces