HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 3:34 PM

There's a new redevelopment plan for Cabrini-Green being studied, depending on the proposals selected there could be anywhere from 3000-4000 new units. Here the website to look at the redevelopment plan in more detail: https://www.thecha.org/doing-busines...nt/cabrini-now

Rendering if the densest scenarios are chosen:

Scenarios for south of Division St:

Scenarios for north of Division St:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 1:40 AM

1060 W Van Buren

Urbanize posted more renderings of 1060 W. Van Buren after the community meeting earlier this week.

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/f...60-w-van-buren

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
There's a new redevelopment plan for Cabrini-Green being studied
I was there 26 years ago. If the city had just stayed out of it and focused on a functional street grid, we would have a mature neighborhood today.
I won't say why, but you all know why.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 3:39 PM
1st Ward

I'm really liking 1060 W Van Buren. The adaptive reuse of the vintage corner building, the varied street front along Aberdeen, the height and density as well. WLCO did so much "damage" by keeping the West Loop very low rise (despite being literally a few blocks from one of the tallest buildings in the Western Hemisphere...), so its really nice to see at least the southern portion of it growing a bundle of mid rise towers.

Maybe Van Buren or Jackson can one day emulate the street life and vibrancy of the Fulton Market commercial corridors. Hopefully the empty lots in the area are capitalized wisely with tall, dense and pedestrian oriented developments

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 5:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Maybe Van Buren or Jackson can one day emulate the street life and vibrancy of the Fulton Market commercial corridors. Hopefully the empty lots in the area are capitalized wisely with tall, dense and pedestrian oriented developments
I doubt it. It's getting a lot of density but it's still a bedroom community. It will never be packed with bars and restaurants, drawing people from all over the city and tourists to boot.

The area could use more small-scale retail to liven up the street a bit, but it'll never be truly bustling... West Loopers go to Madison to dine or drink, that isn't changing anytime soon.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations