HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 8:08 PM

Harbour Passage extension is opening next week: https://tj.news/saint-john-south/har...open-next-week

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Harbour Passage extension is opening next week: https://tj.news/saint-john-south/har...open-next-week
Exciting times, especially now that some walls are starting to appear on the first building.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 1:37 PM

Updated look of the site this morning:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:04 PM

I see that Chris Elias of the Fundy Harbour Group is the guest speaker on this Thursday's Port Podcast episode. Talking about the Fundy Quay project.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 1:11 PM

Quote:
I see that Chris Elias of the Fundy Harbour Group is the guest speaker on this Thursday's Port Podcast episode. Talking about the Fundy Quay project.
It's now posted: https://youtu.be/o3EtCVO_5ec?si=iSLHP4shnMg7vLAJ

He mentions for the first building:

- There are 2 levels of underground parking.

- Late-Fall they will be done with concrete and moving onto building the steel portion.

- One level of concrete, 5 levels of structural steel. This will take place into the Winter.

- Early Spring 2025, the building will start to be enclosed. Rest of 2025 will be all the interior work.

- Q1 of 2026 for the grand opening.

- About 15,000sf of retail space on the ground floor, 79 apartments above.

- The apartments in this building is targeted to be their more "high-end, luxury" options out of all the buildings.

- They are looking at long-term leases.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Aug 15, 2024 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
It's now posted: https://youtu.be/o3EtCVO_5ec?si=iSLHP4shnMg7vLAJ

He mentions for the first building:

- There are 2 levels of underground parking.

- Late-Fall they will be done with concrete and moving onto building the steel portion.

- One level of concrete, 5 levels of structural steel. This will take place into the Winter.

- Early Spring 2025, the building will start to be enclosed. Rest of 2025 will be all the interior work.

- Q1 of 2026 for the grand opening.

- About 15,000sf of retail space on the ground floor, 79 apartments above.

- The apartments in this building is targeted to be their more "high-end, luxury" options out of all the buildings.

- They are looking at long-term leases.
I zoned out around the 4 minute mark so thanks for the precis. I find him very hard to listen to. (I just want to poke him and say "get to the point" )

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:52 PM

Encouraging to see the movement on the first building, did he mention the second building [or beyond] at all?

Seems like a fairly slow buildout for a fairly average size new construction, but I guess after this many years of waiting I'll swallow my lumps.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Encouraging to see the movement on the first building, did he mention the second building [or beyond] at all?

Seems like a fairly slow buildout for a fairly average size new construction, but I guess after this many years of waiting I'll swallow my lumps.
Didn't really say anything about beyond the first building. Pretty much being done in phases depending on the demand. The conversation was more focused on the first building and talking about the Fundy Harbour Group themselves as a company.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:13 PM

Yeah, you certainly aren't getting the sense of a serial build with the idea of "let's get this site built out and move on to the next project"

I wonder if we will see concrete and steel work on building II while the interior of building I is being fitted out? I'd hope "yes" but would bet "no".

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:50 PM

In my humble opinion, I'm OK with them taking this step by step and getting it right. Not to piss off the Moncton crowd but I was there this weekend for the first time in years (as opposed to driving through or around) and saw the skyline from Riverview. It wasn't overly inspiring. Yes, there are those new residential towers on the waterfront but overall, they didn't scream anything to me that would make them iconic, compared to some of the other more impressionable buildings on the skyline, like the tower or the Assumption Place. They felt a bit "misplaced" in my opinion...in the sense that they could very well have been in Dieppe and worked there too.

Not trying to be insulting, I just don't think they do anything to bring uniqueness to the Moncton skyline compared to the Fundy Quay project. So, I am OK with this taking time and getting it right. So far, each rendition we get is better and better, so stay the course I say.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
In my humble opinion, I'm OK with them taking this step by step and getting it right. Not to piss off the Moncton crowd but I was there this weekend for the first time in years (as opposed to driving through or around) and saw the skyline from Riverview. It wasn't overly inspiring. Yes, there are those new residential towers on the waterfront but overall, they didn't scream anything to me that would make them iconic, compared to some of the other more impressionable buildings on the skyline, like the tower or the Assumption Place. They felt a bit "misplaced" in my opinion...in the sense that they could very well have been in Dieppe and worked there too.

Not trying to be insulting, I just don't think they do anything to bring uniqueness to the Moncton skyline compared to the Fundy Quay project. So, I am OK with this taking time and getting it right. So far, each rendition we get is better and better, so stay the course I say.
It definitely helps that they have retained a pretty decent architectural firm in Lydon Lynch, who I'd rank very far above the usual NB generic off-the-shelf housing architects, like Spitfire for example.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:

I get your point. I do think SJ has an advantage when it comes to skyline over Moncton due to harbour and the King St hill.....also the uptown is more compact and clustered which also helps.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
It definitely helps that they have retained a pretty decent architectural firm in Lydon Lynch, who I'd rank very far above the usual NB generic off-the-shelf housing architects, like Spitfire for example.
Agreed. Them, alongside the architectural firm from Toronto doing the museum are going to add some pretty interesting structures to the city. Wouldn't be surprised if these two projects don't attract other firms wanting to be part of the "Saint John Renaissance" - which by the way I think the city should be promoting more. New ideas, new designs, and a renewed city. So much is happening but as typical locals, people are too humble to actually stand up and say.."Hey, Saint John fucking rocks...eat shit Halifax!". LOL

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
I agree. Although it doesn't take much to surpass Spitfire's generic 4-6 story boxes. (Low bar )

My only issue with some of the renderings for Fundy Quay is I'm not a fan of the brick podiums. Look dull and too 1940-1950's to me

Last edited by sailor734; Aug 15, 2024 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I agree. Although it doesn't take much to surpass Spitfire's generic 4-6 story boxes. (Low bar )

My only issue with some of the renderings for Fundy Quay is I'm not a fan of the brick podiums. Look dull and too 1940-1950's to me
I think that is an attempt to provide some continuity at street level with the architecture in the nearby area across the street. Agree, it is a bit off style-wise but again, every time we get a rendering it gets better and better, so perhaps when they get ready for phase two, this will have more elements that match the aesthetic of the historic streetscape better.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I think that is an attempt to provide some continuity at street level with the architecture in the nearby area across the street. Agree, it is a bit off style-wise but again, every time we get a rendering it gets better and better, so perhaps when they get ready for phase two, this will have more elements that match the aesthetic of the historic streetscape better.
Oh, I get what the design purpose is. I'm just not sure we always have to try and blend with or recreate design cues or materials from 1878 in every single new build. I'm a great believer in heritage preservation but not in mindlessly recreating a heritage look all over town. AFAIK Fundy Quay is not in the Trinity Royal heritage zone so surely we can move on to more modern architectural designs.

The waterfront site cries out for lots of glass facing the water. I'm actually a little surprised that the low rise building will be their higher end offering. If I was moving uptown I'd pay the highest dollar for a high floor view out over Partridge Is towards Nova Scotia through glass walls or from an expansive terrace or roomy balcony.....but maybe I'm not their target market.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
If I was moving uptown I'd pay the highest dollar for a high floor view out over Partridge Is towards Nova Scotia through glass walls or from an expansive terrace or roomy balcony.....but maybe I'm not their target market.
You raise an interesting point about glass walls. I wonder if there is a limitation due to suppliers for glass curtain-wall designs? The only building of that style I've seen in in Fredericton which the developer at the time called "the sexiest building in Fredericton" - which was funny.

I wonder if there is a lack of contractor expertise for buildings of this type/construction in NB, as nothing I've seen has this whereas in Toronto or elsewhere, it is more commonplace.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
You raise an interesting point about glass walls. I wonder if there is a limitation due to suppliers for glass curtain-wall designs? The only building of that style I've seen in in Fredericton which the developer at the time called "the sexiest building in Fredericton" - which was funny.

I wonder if there is a lack of contractor expertise for buildings of this type/construction in NB, as nothing I've seen has this whereas in Toronto or elsewhere, it is more commonplace.
Good question. Vancouver condo buildings with stunning mountain or ocean views are virtually all glass wall style. I think the Fundy Quay location would cry out for a design that would allow residents maximum exposure to the views.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces