HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
There’s hockey/skating rinks and a large community parking lot under 95 in Queen Village that are huge benefits to the ‘hood and city - so you only have to look like 1 mile south on how to make this type of space work.

Basketball courts, tennis courts, dog parks, kids play ground would all be awesome under the over hang of 95. In London - this space would probably be a massive flea market with dozens of daily vendors. It’s basically a waste land now, I don’t understand how that was ever intentional and how the community groups didn’t foresee this coming and fight for activation or hell - even just having it fenced off/enclosed and used as SEPTA bus parking or something… it’s a disaster as is
The bigger issue to me is how terrible it is for your health to do physical exercise next to a highway for a long period of time. All that fine rubber particulate from car tires and car exhaust goes somewhere...

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:11 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
The bigger issue to me is how terrible it is for your health to do physical exercise next to a highway for a long period of time. All that fine rubber particulate from car tires and car exhaust goes somewhere...
I like to mix microplastics in with my protein shakes, so I should be good

In all seriousness, it's documented as causing pretty terrible health impacts, so I hear you. It's a tough challenge sadly to figure out a way to make an unappealing place a worthwhile destination that doesn't harm those who go there.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninpa View Post
I'll try to take a pic on my way home, but I just passed through North Philly station on the CHW and they're starting to put in window frames in the Ink Factory. Can't wait for this area to get moving!
Awesome. Glad to see a hulking blight along the Amtrak corridor fixed up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I saw that as well! I was shocked.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
There’s hockey/skating rinks and a large community parking lot under 95 in Queen Village that are huge benefits to the ‘hood and city - so you only have to look like 1 mile south on how to make this type of space work.

Basketball courts, tennis courts, dog parks, kids play ground would all be awesome under the over hang of 95. In London - this space would probably be a massive flea market with dozens of daily vendors. It’s basically a waste land now, I don’t understand how that was ever intentional and how the community groups didn’t foresee this coming and fight for activation or hell - even just having it fenced off/enclosed and used as SEPTA bus parking or something… it’s a disaster as is
Yeah, most of the time it's empty in that little park. Skateboarders usually have headphones on. You have to yell to talk normally under a highway. Have to tired to hangout under a highway before? Is it not awesome to hangout under a highway, go try it.

Highways are not good public spaces. Expanding i95 more public space is not a good use of transit money. Sure Septa and the PPA can store more cars under the highway.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I looked up the location for permits- there is nothing indicating a conversion is underway- it seems like this is remediation work in response to violations issued by the City....oh well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Tolling i676, i76, and i95 would fix a lot of the traffic problems imo
PA cannot toll I95 or I676

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:35 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
PA cannot toll I95 or I676
https://www.phillyvoice.com/penndot-...83-harrisburg/

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
But but but but but but but but PennDot doesn't have the toll money that other states have. They can't possibly be expected to keep the highways clean!
what PennDOT does is a reflection of the priorities of this state and its tax structure. PennDOT is not funded to provide the levels of cleaning or maintenance that many would like to see. In many other states a lot of these costs are passed off on other motorists whereas PA lacks any significant north south toll road other than I476 which is mostly used by PA residents. To keep up with what you see in other states PA would need to pump in more funding because tolls are not happening on roads built by the interstate highway system- PA tried that and it failed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Have to tired to hangout under a highway before? Is it not awesome to hangout under a highway, go try it.

Highways are not good public spaces. Expanding i95 more public space is not a good use of transit money. Sure Septa and the PPA can store more cars under the highway.
I have under the new portion of 95 through fishtown/port richmond and it was fine, not perfect, but no yelling involved.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:47 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
I have under the new portion of 95 through fishtown/port richmond and it was fine, not perfect, but no yelling involved.
The new portions are great, the older portions may be a little noisy but it's not the end of the world, the areas under 95 can be great it just needs the infrastructure.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:36 PM

Check it out (they should include sansom)

Quote:
Car-Free Streets for Four Sundays This September
Center City District (CCD), with support from Rittenhouse Row and the City of Philadelphia, plans to transform one of Philadelphia’s most popular shopping and dining destinations, 18th Street from Locust to Chestnut and Walnut Street from 15th to 19th, by temporarily closing streets to vehicular traffic.

https://centercityphila.org/explore-...ty/openstreets

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
what PennDOT does is a reflection of the priorities of this state and its tax structure.
100% in agreement on that. Across the board, litter control and buckle scraping clearly are not PA priorities.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
100% in agreement on that. Across the board, litter control and buckle scraping clearly are not PA priorities.
Agreed.

I've worked in Operations and Supply Chain long enough to have a spidey sense of when the math ain't mathing, and my guess is that we spend just as much on highway maintenance per (insert whatever metric is relevant here) as other states, we just don't hold operators accountable.

We have higher gas taxes than other states that have lower taxes but more toll revenues. In the end, we're probably raising the same amount of money.

Our DOT just doesn't have an ethos of maintenance, period. Plenty of street cleaners out there, they're just in a garage somewhere not being used or even worse (and most likely) they're sitting idel while the operators get paid to do nothing.

I know it's a different entity, but I see street sweepers in this city driving around all the time with their brushes up. Why isn't the expectation that brushes are always down, even if the driver isn't on their route? Like, if you're going to Germantown to clean specific streets in Germantown, why aren't you making an effort to clean everything on it's way? It's not complicated.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:50 PM

For a point of reference, from what I can find, these are the budgets for PA and NJ DOT.

PA DOT: 10.8 BILLION per year
NJ DOT: 4.8 BILLION per year

Hard to believe NJ has cleaner highways because they have more funding.

Old Posted Today, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Check it out (they should include sansom)

https://centercityphila.org/explore-...ty/openstreets
Wouldn’t mind seeing this made permanent. Walnut would probably do quite well being pedestrian only from Broad to 18th.

Old Posted Today, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
For a point of reference, from what I can find, these are the budgets for PA and NJ DOT.

PA DOT: 10.8 BILLION per year
NJ DOT: 4.8 BILLION per year

Hard to believe NJ has cleaner highways because they have more funding.
Now let's do dollars per mile of road. Assuming this site I found is correct, that would equate to ~$56,400 per road mile in NJ vs ~$42,900 per road mile in PA. That's about 31% higher for NJ.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development