HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 4:41 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
.... But this is not a public transit or government issue. Stop making it one.
But it is....

Busses and public transport are a public good, akin to infrastructure itself. Providing reliable connections between reasonably sized towns offers other benefits besides the connections between towns, and adds a level of 'permanence' to towns that ride-sharing does not (opportunities for Transit-oriented developments). Would you rather open a business beside a busy transit station, or a street corner where people get their rideshare?

I get that rideshare exists and is an option, but as others have pointed out there is a fear with vetting. Especially being out in the middle of nowhere... Not to say they have no place, but I see ridesharing as a piece of the puzzle. Especially within and around small towns.

Also, there is a separate argument about the climate and land-use benefits of public transportation compared to EVs.

Last edited by peg; Aug 12, 2024 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Understandable criticism. But I could also point to a Portage bus incident with Mr Vince Li to the contrary. And the City of Winnipeg busses with crack heads and stabbings left and right. Bad stuff happens when you put random people together. There's no way completely around it. Publicly operated has 0 bearing on this.

At least with ridesharing you can vet your co-occupant. Females can go with females only, and avoid drivers with sketchy reviews or no history. I mean, people use Uber without issue, rideshare is no different.
This has really become a staple of those who try to push private transportation solutions over public ones - fearmongering with anecdotal evidence and sensationalized takes on extremely rare incidents. One single event that happened 16 years ago. And transit stabbings "left and right" lol. 2 in the past 12 months, and I can only find 2 more in the past 5 years. 40 million annual rides. Statistically you have a better shot at winning the Lotto Max jackpot than getting stabbed on a Winnipeg transit bus. Better get your ticket!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This has really become a staple of those who try to push private transportation solutions over public ones - fearmongering
Did you read the post? The first shot was fired AGAINST ride sharing, claiming public is safer. I'm not saying one is safer than the other. I said put people together and bad things are inevitable. Private or public.

2024 Study on the issue.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan