HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The person he is talking about at the beginning is Evelyn Nesbit.
That conversation about Evelyn Nesbit was fascinating. It was so interesting to hear someone that knew her speak of her life in her last years. Samson De Brier was not born when Evelyn's husband, Harry Thaw, shot and killed Sanford White at the rooftop theater of Madison Square Garden.

What an era, filled with glamour and scandal, and as Lillian Roth's headstone reminds us, "As bad as it was it was good."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 11:54 PM

Is this the same building?

Does anybody know if these two images both show the same building? (on the left)

I was watching the 1918 Harold Lloyd film Why Pick on Me? on YouTube when I spotted what I was sure is Windward Circle in Venice beach.

Assuming I'm correct, is there any chance that's the same building (or at least the shell of it)?

Here is Windward Circle on Google Street View:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9880...5410&entry=ttu

I composited my photo above from several different frames in the movie, but the scene in question appears at 3:40 in the clip below:

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:56 AM

Two different buildings on the same spot Scott Charles.

Top picture, the old Hotel Antler, demolished in 1964.

The present day building, an architectural homage to the old hotel, was built in 1988.

ethereal_reality illustrates in these posts from two years ago.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=58926

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=58930

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:25 AM

A new remastered clip, dated approx 1949, has been posted to YouTube......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZB9UlsyC-o&t=8s

Most of the footage is at Union Station.....

At the end of the clip there is a night shot, the YouTube comments identify this as Wilshire Blvd. just past Robertson on the south side of the street....

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Two different buildings on the same spot Scott Charles.

Top picture, the old Hotel Antler, demolished in 1964.

The present day building, an architectural homage to the old hotel, was built in 1988.

ethereal_reality illustrates in these posts from two years ago.
Thanks for the info, Noir_Noir.

My French language skills are sorely lacking, but if the word homage means “extremely ugly new building”, then I'm in full agreement.

It's a shame that so many of the original Venice canals were paved over, it looks like that area would have been quite beautiful.

It seems everything in LA worth looking at gets torn down... the Venice canals, the beautiful original location of Angels Flight, the old Richfield building, indeed the hills themselves Downtown... sadly, the list seems to go on... and on... and on...

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:37 PM

Sliding into work

I'm working on a project at work where I'm transferring slides to digital files ( i was the first to jump at it). Most of the slides are of properties we once owned or promo pictures, but this one didn't look like it belonged.

Photo by GLAAC

I'm thinking this is around 1961/62. But exactly where?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I'm working on a project at work where I'm transferring slides to digital files ( i was the first to jump at it). Most of the slides are of properties we once owned or promo pictures, but this one didn't look like it belonged.

Photo by GLAAC

Umm...Santa Anita? EDIT: i like Mackerm's Dodger stadium better - the light standards.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Yesterday at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
It seems everything in LA worth looking at gets torn down... the Venice canals, the beautiful original location of Angels Flight, the old Richfield building, indeed the hills themselves Downtown... sadly, the list seems to go on... and on... and on...
The other day I was thinking that people in most other cities don't even know what their cities or locations looked like years and years ago, but we do because Hollywood has filmed it for 100+ years and so we have that perspective.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post

It looks like Dodger Stadium, but I haven't nailed down the exact viewpoint (our assignment.) Somewhere around White Knoll Drive, perhaps. Was Parking Lot 1 a hill when it first opened?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
It looks like Dodger Stadium, but I haven't nailed down the exact viewpoint (our assignment.) Somewhere around White Knoll Drive, perhaps. Was Parking Lot 1 a hill when it first opened?
Bingo with the subject matter, crossing my fingers if we figure out if Parking Lot 1 is the spot. I also didn't know if the slide needed to be switched or not...

Old Posted Today, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
At the end of the clip there is a night shot, the YouTube comments identify this as Wilshire Blvd. just past Robertson on the south side of the street....

More accurate to say the vantage point is on the south side of Wilshire just past Robertson. (We're looking NE toward the NW corner of Wilshire and Robertson here.) :-)

-JScott

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos