HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:06 AM

Got an emergency alert for "Very large hail" and that was easily the worst hailstorm I've encountered in the years I've lived here. Have minor property damage too.

Also looks like YYC Airport took a nasty hit as parts of it were evacuated and closed off.

We certainly need the rain, but would have preferred it not like this.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:47 AM
Go Chiefs!

Turned out another decent day to go the beach. Rain until 12:30 but then the sun came out and it was sunny the remainder of the afternoon. 25C (humidex of 38).

19C was the low this morning. Rainy and crappy.

The warmspot was Kelowna, BC at 35.7C.

Warmest low was Point Pelee, ON at 23.4C.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:15 AM

I cocooned in my little air conditioned space and slept all day but from what I could tell, it was another warm, sunny and dry day.

Monday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 26 C (31 C w/Humidex), the low was 17 C.

English Bay Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87rx1h48n0

English Bay Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QNfhVAAmzI

White Rock Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRIAXc0iT9A

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 2:42 PM

Weather was nice through Sunday. Then the storms hit. Heavy rain in my area, but storm damage and flooding in surrounding areas. The Heritage Festival site was damaged in Edmonton so they could not open on Monday. The Big Valley Jamboree had to shut down early on Sunday.

The rain was much needed. but not in the areas with the fires. That said Most northern fires are in better shape now. The Jasper NP park fire is still raging and the park is still closed. Looks like mixed bag of weather this week here.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The humidity has finally broken in Moncton. Only 20C at noontime in Moncton, and mostly cloudy.

We had some rain overnight as the front pushed through. Everything had a drink. The rest of the work week will be quite pleasant, but, rain will return for the weekend.

Cape Enrage lighthouse overlooking Shepody Bay, not too far from Fundy National Park. Looks like it needs a new paint job.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:47 PM

Lots of reports of damage around the city after parts got hit with baseball sized hail! Haven't had a storm like this in a few years...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:22 PM
Fake News

I was driving home from Canmore when we got the weather alert. Was literally trying to outrun the storm as I entered the city by COP then hopped on the ringroad south. Cars were pulling over under overpasses. It looked like cgi as we watched the black clouds rolling in over the city like they did over Mordor in LOTR. Got home right before the deluge hit. The south didn’t get hail like the north at least.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-august-5-2024

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:55 PM

Has it been brought up why they don't build with brick or wood or some composite siding material that can withstand hail better than regular siding? I'm sure whatever siding those homes used was cheaper, but is there a requirement now to use better material? Perhaps lobbied by the insurance industry so they won't need to pay out on damage? Or maybe there's a specific coverage for that and it's profitable, for the time being.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Has it been brought up why they don't build with brick or wood or some composite siding material that can withstand hail better than regular siding? I'm sure whatever siding those homes used was cheaper, but is there a requirement now to use better material? Perhaps lobbied by the insurance industry so they won't need to pay out on damage? Or maybe there's a specific coverage for that and it's profitable, for the time being.
After the last major hailstorm hit the NE in 2018 there was talk about requiring siding that can better withstand it, but sadly it seems to have gone nowhere since new suburbia is an ocean of vinyl siding.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Still sticky. Showers are starting but nothing to it yet.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 8:18 PM

Yesterday was 27c at Vancouver Harbour, I walked the entire seawall and ended my day at the car free gastown plaza
Happy BC Day

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 12:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Shanneyganock is playing on George Street tonight and it is deafening...

Video Link

So, tonight is a unique one in Canada. It's "Regatta Roulette". The Royal St. John's Regatta, North America's oldest sporting competition, COULD be tomorrow. We all go mad tonight, it's a fucked night downtown, at the strip clubs, at the brothels, even regular boomer parents are playing crib in their garages and having a few too many. It's a truly savage night. It if it does ahead, tomorrow is a holiday in St. John's. If it doesn't go ahead, we all have to go to work:

It is the only public holiday in Canada that is decided by a non-governmental body (the volunteer Regatta committee will make the call around sunrise tomorrow. Wind is the biggest concern, and a legitimate concern here, so even a 20C sunny day can be a No Go), and the only public holiday in North America that is weather-dependent.

Probably about 60% of municipalities in the province had this past Monday off instead. The rest pepper them at random (but locally significant, of course) times throughout the year. Basically, here it's Regatta Day, and everywhere else it's the equivalent of Canada's "Family Day".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 1:37 AM

What a beautiful evening. Watched the sun give way to crescent moon.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:50 AM

^^^ Other worldly...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:37 AM
Go Chiefs!

Back in MTL.

24C (humidex of 25) and a mix of sun and clouds. Cold front has definately passed. Dewpoint was in the single digit (8C) at one point. It has now gone back up to the low-mid teens.

Low of 14C this morning.

The warmspot was Pemberton, BC at 33.8C.

Warmest low was Osoyoos, BC at 22.9C.

We just ended one of the most humid continuous stretch of weather.

Records since 1951

Records since 1871, although YUL had 6 consecutive lows above 20C, the 4 straight night above 22C are even more impressive, ties the all-time record.

https://x.com/yul_weather?lang=it&lang=it

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:48 AM

A fantastic sunset to end a nice August day in the Okanagan. We hit right around 30c and sunshine today, a nice temperature after another week long heat wave.

Should be seeing just a hair above seasonal for the extended forecast, about much of the same for the next week; 30c and sunny.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
A fantastic sunset to end a nice August day in the Okanagan. We hit right around 30c and sunshine today, a nice temperature after another week long heat wave.

Should be seeing just a hair above seasonal for the extended forecast, about much of the same for the next week; 30c and sunny.
Kelowna has had 19 days so far this summer over 35... which is insane.

This includes 2 days hitting 40 and over.

So yeah, the next week is looking pretty perfect for hot summer weather that isn't too hot in Kelowna.

For Kelowna specifically, any daytime summer high between 26 and 33 is what I would call "seasonal." 34 and above is a heat event, and 25 and below is a cold stretch.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 4:22 AM
Midtowner since 2K

We had a rainy start to the day, on top of the rain yesterday, meaning by the time I got to my stewardship shift this evening in the Don Valley, the ground was freshly dampened and made uprooting invasive species (well, just Buckthorn today, and the odd bit of DSV) easier. It was 21C today, but our high was at midnight apparently! The day mostly stayed around 20C according to EC.The first image shows one of the trails leading to the site, partly washed out due to the severe flooding event last month....and subsequent rain. Other areas of the valley have suffered similar damage.
Don Work, A6 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
The only bright side to this damage is the chance to see a small picture of the industrial past of the valley. This particular area had a running paper mill over a century ago, and was still running under a different operation until 1989. The bricks seen in the trail may be from the brickworks site nearby.

As I left the area, i was treated to a good view of the skyline at sunset. These images are quite....low quality so this is all I'll post from that end
I will do my homework however on what kind of oak this is, the smooth bark was quite peculiar to me on this tree as I passed through: (EDIT, seemingly its a white oak)

EDIT #2, this looks like a Northern Red Oak.

Last edited by GeneralLeeTPHLS; Aug 7, 2024 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 6:01 AM

Nice day, not too hot and with a nice breeze. Sunny, dry, warm.

Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 22 C (26 C w/Humidex), the low was 16 C.

Cambie & Broadway, Vancouver, Aug.6 '24, my pics

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 11:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

15C and overcast in Moncton at 8 AM, clearing off later, with an eventual high this afternoon of 24C.

I sat out in the gazebo in my backyard after dark last evening for a while, and it actually felt a touch chilly (for a change). The overnight low tonight will only be 8C.

Nicko would be appalled.

Wildflowers along the Bay of Fundy coastline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada