HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
It's hotly debated, but general consensus is that smaller (<4lb) lobsters are generally are easier to cook, more tender and have more consistent flavor and texture. Those big "show" lobsters look impressive but are logistically complicated to prepare, though pound for pound they are cheaper (meat to shell ratio is better).
I don't eat lobster, and, the only shellfish I really enjoy are scallops (although fried clams aren't bad).

I have heard however that smaler lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is also no question that, with shellfish, the fresher the better, which is why many Maritimers will buy their lobster right off the dock, or, failing this, from small pick-up trucks sporting "fresh lobster" signs parked in strategic locations in the larger Maritime cities.

Torontonians do not have this option.

There is a reason why there are multiple 747 & 777 flights each week from Moncton and Halifax to China via Anchorage. The Chinese want their Atlantic lobster really, really fresh.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucylito View Post
Interesting, so every province in Canada has it's own immigration system within the country of Canada, as far as how many people can immigrate at any one time maybe, I'll do some more research then.

Saskatchewan must have a similar aggressive provincial nomination system.

Just a quick look at some immigration stats through the last few years or so,

In 2017, Manitoba had 14,700 immigrants and Saskatchewan had 14,680. I would call that similar numbers but maybe i'm completely out to lunch.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...18/report.html

In 2019/2020 Manitoba had 14,789 and Saskatchewan had 13,374 which is maybe seen as a whole dramatic level of difference, I just don't know in the Canadian context.

https://statisticsanddata.org/data/i...and-territory/

And last year in 2023, Manitoba had 25,591 immigrants and Saskatchewan had only slightly more at 26,124, which is a bit of a jump for both provinces, after covid probably, to be sure.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/

I'm sort of considering moving to Canada, depending on how the American elections go in the Fall. But I don't want to move somewhere too expensive, to somewhere I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.

Interesting, the interprovincial out migration in Manitoba is significantly more than Saskatchewan, yet Manitoba’s population is growing at a double the rate of Saskatchewan.at least from the population estimates.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have heard however that smaller lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is also no question that, with shellfish, the fresher the better, which is why many Maritimers will buy their lobster right off the dock, or, failing this, from small pick-up trucks sporting "fresh lobster" signs parked in strategic locations in the larger Maritime cities.

Freshly cooked smaller lobsters, 'Canners' as we call them are the real deal.

Yep, no offense to Toronto and it's great food scene but you can't do this on the beaches of Lake Ontario (even though this washed up lobster is already dead)...

Quote:
Nathan Coleman
@NateTWN
Just found on Cavendish Beach
https://twitter.com/NateTWN/status/1819735958054428954

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't eat lobster, and, the only shellfish I really enjoy are scallops (although fried clams aren't bad).

I have heard however that smaler lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is a reason why there are multiple 747 & 777 flights each week from Moncton and Halifax to China via Anchorage. The Chinese want their Atlantic lobster really, really fresh.
Interestingly enough, I see 'fresh lobster' trucks around here all the time. Presumably they drive over night or something? I'm not sure but definitely see roadside lobster trucks.

EDIT: I'm actually curious now if this is prevalent elsewhere in Southern Ontario? I got thinking more about it and it's usually one truck just north of Cobourg that I see. It's not food truck where you buy cooked meals but rather a fairly ordinary truck selling fresh seafood/lobster.

Last edited by TownGuy; Aug 4, 2024 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Dolly Parton in the House

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Bad news, only Calgary, Moncton and K-W make the top 10 when we put up Canada against the real global boom towns.

Time to step on the gas, JT! Lets juice this thing!

I just had the most amazing pon farr with Spock - let's just say his ears aren't the best pointy feature on him!

Anyways, in between pillow talk he mentioned K-W isn't just the fastest growing city on earth, it's actually the fastest growing city in the United Federation of Planets. Thought you'd be interested in that information to update your chart.

Do we have any volunteers to sleep with a Klingon or Romulan? We could really use their city growth data.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tits_Of_Kitchener View Post
Anyways, in between pillow talk he mentioned K-W isn't just the fastest growing city on earth, it's actually the fastest growing city in the United Federation of Planets. Thought you'd be interested in that information to update your chart.
You need to account for time dilation issues when on your interstellar trysts if you want to avoid resurrecting a post from over two months ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting, so every province in Canada has it's own immigration system within the country of Canada, as far as how many people can immigrate at any one time maybe, I'll do some more research then.

Saskatchewan must have a similar aggressive provincial nomination system.

Just a quick look at some immigration stats through the last few years or so,

In 2017, Manitoba had 14,700 immigrants and Saskatchewan had 14,680. I would call that similar numbers but maybe i'm completely out to lunch.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...18/report.html

In 2019/2020 Manitoba had 14,789 and Saskatchewan had 13,374 which is maybe seen as a whole dramatic level of difference, I just don't know in the Canadian context.

https://statisticsanddata.org/data/i...and-territory/

And last year in 2023, Manitoba had 25,591 immigrants and Saskatchewan had only slightly more at 26,124, which is a bit of a jump for both provinces, after covid probably, to be sure.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/

I'm sort of considering moving to Canada, depending on how the American elections go in the Fall. But I don't want to move somewhere too expensive, to somewhere I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.
Good to see those numbers for MB and SK!

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:43 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
.... I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.
I'm always puzzled when people perceive Atlantic Canada as remote. Perhaps, Newfoundland is but the other 3 provinces aren't. The Maritimes are really just an extension of the US eastern seaboard and no more remote than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm always puzzled when people perceive Atlantic Canada as remote. Perhaps, Newfoundland is but the other 3 provinces aren't. The Maritimes are really just an extension of the US eastern seaboard and no more remote than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
Yeah I get that there's a contrast between the Maritimes and high population regions like southern Ont, the US NE corridor, Florida, or really anywhere with one or more multi-million person metro areas. But the territories are a whole other level. The Yukon compared to us is like us compared to Benelux.

Old Posted Today, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I’ve made this point before but the Atlantic region gets pegged with the “remote” tag whereas the prairies generally do not, which is puzzling. Calgary and Edmonton have clearly become among Canada’s large-ish cities, but they are also near very little else, particularly Edmonton. The number of other major population centres within driving distance is just about nil, and the same is true of all prairie cities. Whereas yes, the Maritimes are really an extension of the eastern seaboard (though you do have to get through the boonies of Maine to get there).

You could argue that air connections are more important, and Calgary is better connected by air than YHZ—but YHZ still has pretty robust connections for a small city, and presents little difficulty for travellers.

And then there’s the fact that Atlantic Canada is connected to global shopping and ocean-passenger routes.

So the “remote” peg being applied to the east and not the west honestly feels more like a matter of skewed perspective than fact.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada