HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post

It's also tiring here to hear the same routine dismissals from certain corners on here, which claim that twenty somethings can still buy houses and make downpayments easily.
Is anybody still saying that? I think the 2016ish to 2021 narrative that this was the worst time in history was way off. Housing was more expensive but low interest rates and the great job market (a big part of the reason for the strength of the housing market though immigration gets all the blame)

Low interest rates are gone. Housing is still expensive and worst of all it looks like we now see the potential repeat of what it was like in the 70s 80s and 90s when students struggled to get even Mc Jobs and it took years to get settled in a career.

I suspect the housing market will be the least of the worries of 20 somethings in the coming years. Things look rather bleak. Inflation and housing costs falling will be little solace.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Is anybody still saying that? I think the 2016ish to 2021 narrative that this was the worst time in history was way off. Housing was more expensive but low interest rates and the great job market (a big part of the reason for the strength of the housing market though immigration gets all the blame)

Low interest rates are gone. Housing is still expensive and worst of all it looks like we now see the potential repeat of what it was like in the 70s 80s and 90s when students struggled to get even Mc Jobs and it took years to get settled in a career.

I suspect the housing market will be the least of the worries of 20 somethings in the coming years. Things look rather bleak. Inflation and housing costs falling will be little solace.
Did you see the graph Pitt Renard posted in the housing thread? 2016-2021 was late 80s/early 90s bad for entering the house market. 2022 onward is record breaking bad.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Is anybody still saying that?
I've had this interaction in the last two weeks. Yes, there's still plenty of, "It's not that bad," denialism going on here. And not just from LPC apologists.

I'm not going to name any names. Just watch the housing threads. There's certain members who dedicate a ton of time to arguing that the narrative about young people these days is untrue or exaggerated.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I've had this interaction in the last two weeks. Yes, there's still plenty of, "It's not that bad," denialism going on here. And not just from LPC apologists.

I'm not going to name any names. Just watch the housing threads. There's certain members who dedicate a ton of time to arguing that the narrative about young people these days is untrue or exaggerated.
I mean there are those exagerating. Until the last few months we had a strong job market which is the most important thing.

We have had so many years where that was just a given that we are spoiled a bit. I guess it's bad compared to what is the question. Some boomer saying it was worse in 1982 while probably true doesn't really matter. Saying it's worse in almost every other country which is also probably true also doesn't matter. It's certainly worse than 2015 and 2010 and 2005.

The reality though is improving it isn't really on offer politically as we've discussed before generational unfairness is baked into our voting system and habits. A rising tide lifts all boats but strong economic growth especially with a reduction in immigration allowing the benefits to spread and a reduction in government spending that is needed is next to impossible barring some surge in demand for something Canada has in abundance.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:

I think most people (including those who support the Liberals) recognise their is a problem, and the fact the people starting out can't buy a home is deeply concerning. At the same time the conservative narrative that the country is broken, we are some type of failed state, is way of base as well.

The liberals federally have doubled down on co-ops and social housing. Disappointing the number of new units has not materialised as much as possible. They have done adjustments to mortgage rules to reduce the number of people that in trouble while making mortgages more accessible.

Some of the provinces, like BC, have adjusted the rules around zoning.

Housing prices have stabilised (but they are still high). The bank of Canada is bring interest rates down to counter the slowing economy.

Sounds like in a year time the conservatives will be in. We will see if their hands off, low tax, low regulation agenda improves things. I don't think so, but it works it works.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 4:41 PM

Pierre seems to have amnesia - is he fit to lead?

He doesn't know who Diagolon is - but given he pressed charges against them for them threating his wife that seems rather odd.

Doesn't seem this journalist was just accepting Pierre's normal catch phrases and Pierre didn't like that - once again criticizing a journalst.

I think the more opportunities like this for Pierre the better - we can really get a sense of who he really is.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/p...lievre-9306660

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I think the more opportunities like this for Pierre the better - we can really get a sense of who he really is.
Perhaps, but, we already know who JT is - a fraud, a charlatan and a professional performative virtue signaller who has no idea what economic policy is. A man who no longer has any stature on the international stage, and a stooge of Jagmeet Singh, who has him by the balls in terms of creating new social policies of questionable virtue, all the time stepping on the toes of provincial premiers whose jurisdiction he doesn't care a whit about.

The greatest service JT could perform for the Canadian people would be to pull a Joe Biden and decline to reoffer for the greater good of his party and his country. Unfortunately, JT has a Messiah complex, and assumes that no one else could possibly govern this large and complex country. He will drag the Liberal party and the country into ruin.

JT HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Perhaps, but, we already know who JT is - a fraud, a charlatan and a professional performative virtue signaller who has no idea what economic policy is. A man who no longer has any stature on the international stage, and a stooge of Jagmeet Singh, who has him by the balls in terms of creating new social policies of questionable virtue, all the time stepping on the toes of provincial premiers whose jurisdiction he doesn't care a whit about.

The greatest service JT could perform for the Canadian people would be to pull a Joe Biden and decline to reoffer for the greater good of his party and his country. Unfortunately, JT has a Messiah complex, and assumes that no one else could possibly govern this large and complex country. He will drag the Liberal party and the country into ruin.

JT HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!
The kind of MAGA/Trump inspired invective that should have no place in Canadian politcal discourse. Same for PP latest hit on "sellout Singh". We've seen how destructive it has been in the USA, we must resist the same mistake.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:13 AM

Telling the truth isn’t destructive. lol and quite honestly people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Look at how toxic this liberal government is, yet I rarely, if ever, see any of you calling it out. This government has lied to and deceived Canadians. Scandal after scandal. Yet you’d still vote for them? Why? Because of some illusion you’ve bought into that Pierre is like trump. Pierre is nothing like trump, has worked his way up from nothing. The guy was adopted, not born into intergenerational wealth like trudeau and co. He hasnt been colluding with China like trudeau and co have. He didn’t fuck up the immigration levels. Driving down wages and sending housing costs skyrocketing. Yet you claim he’s all about making corporations wealthier. Well WTF have the liberals done… made corporations wealthier, and forced millions into poverty. Yet you claim they’re the answer. What is honestly wrong with you people?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The kind of MAGA/Trump inspired invective that should have no place in Canadian politcal discourse. Same for PP latest hit on "sellout Singh". We've seen how destructive it has been in the USA, we must resist the same mistake.
People are sick and tired of the mealymouthed middle. It’s not working for the majority of the population under 50. Their parents could afford a house and a car but they’re being told they should be happy with a one bedroom skybox and a scooter. Of course the Libs are trying package that up as “environmentally friendly” but it’s a declining standard of living by any measure.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
People are sick and tired of the mealymouthed middle. It’s not working for the majority of the population under 50. Their parents could afford a house and a car but they’re being told they should be happy with a one bedroom skybox and a scooter. Of course the Libs are trying package that up as “environmentally friendly” but it’s a declining standard of living by any measure.
Look how well that turned out in the US.

Trudeau has his problems but PP is a vile POS and should not be allowed anywhere near the office of prime minister.

Last edited by Bcasey25raptor; Aug 5, 2024 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Telling the truth isn’t destructive. lol and quite honestly people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Look at how toxic this liberal government is, yet I rarely, if ever, see any of you calling it out. This government has lied to and deceived Canadians. Scandal after scandal. Yet you’d still vote for them? Why? Because of some illusion you’ve bought into that Pierre is like trump. Pierre is nothing like trump, has worked his way up from nothing. The guy was adopted, not born into intergenerational wealth like trudeau and co. He hasnt been colluding with China like trudeau and co have. He didn’t fuck up the immigration levels. Driving down wages and sending housing costs skyrocketing. Yet you claim he’s all about making corporations wealthier. Well WTF have the liberals done… made corporations wealthier, and forced millions into poverty. Yet you claim they’re the answer. What is honestly wrong with you people?
The narrative that PP worked hard is fantasy - he's only been a career politician after being in favour of term limits. All of his wealth came from the Cdn taxpayer - he can't even rent to hard working Canadians and provides rentals to his fellow MPs who are also paid by the taxpayer through a housing subsidy - talk about double dipping.

Canada has much to lose with PP as prime minister and PP will ensure it is not recognizeable in 5 years and it won't be the working middle class that benefit most - it will be his billionnaire and foreign overlords that benefit.

I know... but, but, but Justin and Jagmeet (my post isn't about them)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Trudeau has his problems but PP is a vile POS and should not be allowed anywhere near the office of prime minister.
As noted in a previous post, it works both ways. We should be better than this.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
As noted in a previous post, it works both ways. We should be better than this.
I would support a "None of the Above" on the ballot or that all three main parties scrap their current leaders and start from scratch.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 12:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I would support a "None of the Above" on the ballot or that all three main parties scrap their current leaders and start from scratch.
There's always le Parti Rhinocéros........

As for JT. there is no way in heaven I would ever vote for that man. A vote for JT only encourages him, and the entire orange wing of the Liberal Party. They need to be severely punished. A vote for JT will perpetuate JT's hegemony into the far future. At least a vote for PP means only four years of pain. After that, JT will be gone, and the Liberal/NDP alliance will only be a distant brutal memory. The world will have reverted to normal, and voting patterns can return to the status quo.

JT has got to go!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Why?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Canada has much to lose with PP as prime minister and PP will ensure it is not recognizeable in 5 years and it won't be the working middle class that benefit most - it will be his billionnaire and foreign overlords that benefit.
Which policies benefit foreign overlords and billionaires?

Which policy changes do you expect will make Canada unrecognizable?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:06 PM

Quote:

Not talking about issues and focusing on name-calling and other insuations is usually a sign that a party (often in government) is out of ideas. The, "He's not ready," and comments about socks and hair didn't work for the Conservatives in 2015. Fearmongering about Poilievre ain't going to work in 2024/2025. And it reeks of desperation. Just like when the CPC tried it in 2015.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Which policies benefit foreign overlords and billionaires?

Which policy changes do you expect will make Canada unrecognizable?
Free votes by MPs on abortion, the definition of marriage, and euthanasia for one.

Carbon tax and environmental protections gone.

No more child care, dental care and who knows about prescriptions. But income splitting will be pushed for families.

Union-busting.

Balanced budget legislation + tax relief + debt repayment = huge cuts somewhere

Eliminating safeguards against foreign ownership = China and India $$$

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
The narrative that PP worked hard is fantasy - he's only been a career politician after being in favour of term limits. All of his wealth came from the Cdn taxpayer - he can't even rent to hard working Canadians and provides rentals to his fellow MPs who are also paid by the taxpayer through a housing subsidy - talk about double dipping.

I know... but, but, but Justin and Jagmeet (my post isn't about them)
OK I get it your are terrified about PP the great whatever demon, destroyer blah blah blah.

Please articulate the Liberal vision that will right the Canadian ship and deliver the most amount of opportunity for the most Canadians. Right now the Liberal Idea's have run out of steam and have micro targeted so many sub groups all the while ignoring or actively working against the wealth producing capacities of Canada.

Climate policies are falling apart as folks realize its a nice to have but where's my roof? Covid ripped the mask off of most of our institutions and governance practices. ALL were found wanting and it seems a firehose of borrowed money has not fixed things. The greatest crime the Liberals are being pasted with is they have destroyed hope. That's why all you Liberals have is OOH the boogieman Fear option. It will work for the traditional Urban Liberal supporters but Canadians have moved on.
Justin's time is up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada