Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 10:11 PM

Question answered.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 2:38 AM

Royal Air Maroc adding YYZ, starting December 8, 3 weekly 788

AT210 CMN1645 – 1925YYZ 788 357
AT211 YYZ2125 – 1045+1CMN 788 357

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240803-atdec24yyz

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 1:16 AM

I just saw that Royal Air Maroc announcement too, interesting... The lines between YYZ and YUL continue to blur lol. First and most important, YUL has been getting a ton of AC growth to Europe over the last few years, really challenging the capacity out of YYZ even (YUL has almost all the same routes as YYZ, and then more to French cities of course). YUL is behind YYZ for Latin American still, but the gap has narrowed significantly and they both share a remarkable number of destinations now, used to be YYZ had everything, and YUL had none. Even for Asia, YUL is still significantly behind YYZ to Asia, but again, gap is narrowing a lot (with YUL serving Japan, Korea, and India now, I never would have thought that back in 2010. But there hasn't been a ton of movement the other way. Meaning, there hasn't been many Montreal exclusive routes or airlines that have gone to YYZ, the way YUL has gained destinations and/or airlines that were previously YYZ exclusive. Plus they have those unique routes to France and places like Guadeloupe and Martinique in the Caribbean.

Then comes the topic of Middle East/North Africa. YUL always used to have a monopoly on these routes, served by the likes of Air Marcoc, Tunisair, Air Algeria, Egyptair, Royal Jordanian, Emirates, and Qatar. YYZ had El Al, Saudia, Ethiopian, Emirates, and Etihad. So the balance was clearly to YUL. But YUL lost Egyptair to YYZ, YYZ was also added to the Royal Jordanian flights, and now Air Maroc serving both. YUL is still not losing out, it's not like there's been a real shift to YYZ or anything, just much more balanced service and growth for YUL and YYZ. And the types of destinations and geographic coverage are overlapping a lot, to the point where they are close to the same international offerings (don't bite my head off, I know YYZ is still bigger, just the spread between the two has really narrowed.

Sooooo.... I finally buckled down and did the number crunching for YYC's WS service this winter (I posted YVR, YEG, YWG, and YYZ numbers a couple pages back. Below are the YYC figures as close as I could see, I may have made many mistakes, but I tried to be careful and thorough. I am also reposting just the summary highlights for those other airports, just so you can see them altogether without having to go 2 pages back. NOTE: I hadn't done the YYC schedule before the updates, so can't make any comparisons the way I did for the other airports. But I assume growth in general, but just a guess

YYC
-919 weekly flights (667 mainline, 252 Encore)
-66 destinations (doesn't include WS codeshare routes)
~129,723 seats

YVR
-436 weekly flights (341 mainline, 95 Encore), compared to 434 flights before the latest update (300 mainline, 134 Encore)
-31 destinations (doesn't include WS codeshare routes), compared to 32 destinations pre-update
~60.930 seats (n/a)
-Increases in flight frequency to YYC, YEG, YLW (mainline portion only), YWG, YXE, FLL, LAS, ORL, PSP, PHX, MZT, and SJD (12 destinations)
-Decreases in flight frequency to YLW (for Encore service), YXS (Encore), YXT (Encore), ATL, SNA, HNL, OGG, and CUN (8 destinations)
-Frequency levels maintained to YYZ, YYJ, YXJ, YQQ, YXC, YCD, LAX, KOA, LIH, HUX, PVR, and ZIH (12 destinations)

YYZ
-333 weekly flights (all mainline), compared to 339 pre-update
-40 destinations (doesn't include WS codeshare routes), compared to 38 destinations pre-update
~53,406 seats
-Increases in flight frequency to YYC, YEG, YLW, YUL, YOW, AUA, LIR, SXM, GND, RTB, and TQO (11 destinations)
-Decreases in flight frequency to FLL, RSW, ORL, MBJ, NAS, PLS, PUJ, VRA, KIN, and SJU (10 destinations)
-Frequency levels maintained to YVR, YHZ, YWG, YQR, YXE, TPA, LAS, HUX, PVR, ANU, BGI, GCM, POP, UVF, BZE, CZM, CUR, MID and BON (19 destinations)

YEG
-315 weekly flights (235 mainline, 80 Encore), compared to 295 pre-update (197 mainline and 295 Encore)
-29 destinations (doesn't include WS codeshare routes), same as pre-update
~43,123 seats
-Increases in flight frequency to YYC (mainline portion only), YVR, YYX, YLW (mainline portion only), YYJ (mainline and Encore), YWG, YUL, YOW, CUN, HUX, and SJD (11 destinations)
-Decreases in flight frequency to YYC (Encore portion only), YYZ, YHZ, YLW (Encore portion only), YQQ, YMM, YQR, YXE, LAS, and PVR (10 destinations)
-Frequency levels maintained to YQU, YZF, MSP, LAX, ORL, HNL, OGG, PSP, PHX, and MZT (10 destinations)

YWG
-171 weekly flights (142 mainline, 29 Encore), compared to 138 pre-update (113 mainline and 25 Encore)
-22 destinations (doesn't include WS codeshare routes), compared to 19 pre-update
~24,549 seats
-Increases in flight frequency to YYC, YVR, YEG, YUL, YOW, YQR, ATL, FLL, PHX, CUN, MZT, SJD, PVR (13 destinations)
-Decreases in flight frequency to YYZ, LAS, ORL, and PSP (4 destinations)
-Frequency levels maintained to YQT, YXE, LAX, HUX and MBJ (5 destinations)

So obviously it's the behemoth we all knew it was for WS, no surprises to see these numbers for me. Total weekly flights is more than double the next highest YVR (about 2.1x more). Both the # of destinations served and total seats are also roughly 2.1x more than YVR. So clearly in its own league, and shocking to thing there was a time YYZ was bigger. Some random observations I made looking at the numbers for this winter (I know summer is different so these figures are only applicable for the sample week in December, not all the time):

-Mainline and Encore operate on 11 routes together, which is more than I would've thought. YVR only has 1 route that both operate on (YLW), otherwise all Encore destinations are only Encore, and mainline destinations are only mainline. But at YYC there's so many mish-mash routes that have mainline and Encore alternating through the day, and every day basically the schedule changes for # of flights and whether mainline or Encore operate more. I can tell you it made it miles harder to tabulate totals, since I had to count them separately but they are listed together on the airlines pages, so lots of manual calculations. But also it makes me wonder how WS managed for so long with only mainline 737 jets to all routes (before this starts a debate, I didn't mean to imply having only 737s was bad, maybe WS was better off in those days, I didn't say it for that reason). I said it because it appears by how much the Encore planes are used interchangebly with mainline that their lower capacity is beneficial for their overall service, and likely makes more sense to operate less busy days or times of day, and free up the 737 for one of the sun routes where it makes gangbusters. Who knows though, Encore could close and go back to mainline only, who knows! I have no idea how Encore is received at WS and what the financials look like. If Encore does disappear, there will be a lot of small towns and thinner regional route pairs that would be losing service. In WS's early days they kept adding random smaller centres to their route network, but then so many barely lasted because the 737 was just way too much plane. Encore helped that. But is that benefit of having some regional connectivity with smaller centres, plus the flexibility of interchanging 737 and DH4 to better serve routes, worth the complexity of not having a single aircraft fleet? I could see arguments for both sides. First off, Link is folding, so it's clear the much smaller destinations were not absolutely booming (I'm sure some or most do well, but in many cases the Encore replacements for Link routes is a capacity cut). Secondly, they axed all of Eastern Canada, just dismantled regional connectivity entirely at YYZ. And they aren't even that big in SK or MB, so it's basically just BC and AB that support Encore. YYC focused or not, I can't think it's a good situation to have a subsidiary only operate in a few provinces. But who knows, maybe I'm way off and Encore is crushing it. But for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets folded in. But for now, YYC sees a lot of mixed aircraft action on the same routes. But I could definitely see a return to all jets overall

-There are seven routes which both airports share that have more flights from YVR than YYC (YXS, YXT, HNL, OGG, KOA, SJD, and PVR). YXS and YXT are BC regional, so that's understandable. The three Hawaiian routes also make sense being more frequent from YVR than YYC, that's always been the case. I was a bit surprised by SJD and PVR though, I thought they'd have more flights from YYC than YVR. I should mention the 787 operates on YYC-PVR, so in terms of seats it's probably more, but still surprised YYC wasn't way ahead for weekly flights too. Again, YYC is so far ahead of anyone else in service, these observations are just that, and not meaning to imply that having more capacity on a handful of routes means anything. The fact is, it's the YYC show and everywhere else is just a bridesmaid lol

-remains to be seen how WG will intergrate, how much that will add to WS's capacity, if they will not replace some capacity, or what's going to happen. Needless to say it will boost YYZ's flight count, potentially enough to regain the #2 spot from YVR, it's definitely within the realm of possibility. But those Toronto-Sun routings have so much capacity on them, and so many competitors. Maybe WS would rather tighten the market a bit to boost fares and increase loads/yields. While Europe is shooing away tourists, Mexico is welcoming them with open arms, the growth in areas like Cancun is nuts, enough that they had to build another entire airport. I bet Mexico is going to benefit if people get turned off from Europe's major tourist jam cities. Don't get me wrong, what Europe offers is obviously different than Cancun or Tulum, but when people have limited vacation time and money, some might reconsider plans and do Mexico instead of Spain or whatever. So maybe WG is doing super well even with all the competition, but it's WS will merge them into WS, that seems enquivocally the plan. But they have moved the date of integration from Oct. 26 to late April 2025, basically leaving an entire winter season in tact. Totally makes sense, as soon as there was doubt that things wouldn't be ready for October, you have to move it all the way to April/May, you can't do something like that in the middle of the sun season, it would be idiotic. Best leave it until April/May doldrums, it will cause way less impact than doing it in December.

Ok I'm exhausted, this took a lot of energy to compile and analyze lol, I love doing it but it eats up lots of time. But when you love doing it, isn't a chore

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
-Mainline and Encore operate on 11 routes together, which is more than I would've thought. YVR only has 1 route that both operate on (YLW), otherwise all Encore destinations are only Encore, and mainline destinations are only mainline. But at YYC there's so many mish-mash routes that have mainline and Encore alternating through the day, and every day basically the schedule changes for # of flights and whether mainline or Encore operate more. I can tell you it made it miles harder to tabulate totals, since I had to count them separately but they are listed together on the airlines pages, so lots of manual calculations. But also it makes me wonder how WS managed for so long with only mainline 737 jets to all routes (before this starts a debate, I didn't mean to imply having only 737s was bad, maybe WS was better off in those days, I didn't say it for that reason). I said it because it appears by how much the Encore planes are used interchangebly with mainline that their lower capacity is beneficial for their overall service, and likely makes more sense to operate less busy days or times of day, and free up the 737 for one of the sun routes where it makes gangbusters. Who knows though, Encore could close and go back to mainline only, who knows! I have no idea how Encore is received at WS and what the financials look like. If Encore does disappear, there will be a lot of small towns and thinner regional route pairs that would be losing service. In WS's early days they kept adding random smaller centres to their route network, but then so many barely lasted because the 737 was just way too much plane. Encore helped that. But is that benefit of having some regional connectivity with smaller centres, plus the flexibility of interchanging 737 and DH4 to better serve routes, worth the complexity of not having a single aircraft fleet? I could see arguments for both sides. First off, Link is folding, so it's clear the much smaller destinations were not absolutely booming (I'm sure some or most do well, but in many cases the Encore replacements for Link routes is a capacity cut). Secondly, they axed all of Eastern Canada, just dismantled regional connectivity entirely at YYZ. And they aren't even that big in SK or MB, so it's basically just BC and AB that support Encore. YYC focused or not, I can't think it's a good situation to have a subsidiary only operate in a few provinces. But who knows, maybe I'm way off and Encore is crushing it. But for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets folded in. But for now, YYC sees a lot of mixed aircraft action on the same routes. But I could definitely see a return to all jets overall
Great analysis, much appreciated. I still think Encore has a role to play for the WS group, as I think the feed from the smaller western centres is important for the mainline flights. Encore still seems fairly strong in SK/MB (with the beefing up of YXE/YQR-YWG and also YYC/YEG-YXE/YQR). What I think may happen in the future is YYC/YEG-YQR/YXE, YYC-YLW, YYC-YEG, YYC-YQU/YMM etc might see Encore dropped for fewer frequencies on mainline aircraft instead (sort of like YYC-YQQ basically going fully mainline this winter) and YYC-YCD/YKA/YXS etc may see more mainline service replacing Encore (sort of like YYC-YZF). But I think Encore will always be around for YYC/YVR-YXJ, YYC-YYF/YBR/YXC/YXH/YQL etc. Maybe they take a stab at Castlegar one day, that's the only realistic market left for them to enter.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Great analysis, much appreciated. I still think Encore has a role to play for the WS group, as I think the feed from the smaller western centres is important for the mainline flights. Encore still seems fairly strong in SK/MB (with the beefing up of YXE/YQR-YWG and also YYC/YEG-YXE/YQR). What I think may happen in the future is YYC/YEG-YQR/YXE, YYC-YLW, YYC-YEG, YYC-YQU/YMM etc might see Encore dropped for fewer frequencies on mainline aircraft instead (sort of like YYC-YQQ basically going fully mainline this winter) and YYC-YCD/YKA/YXS etc may see more mainline service replacing Encore (sort of like YYC-YZF). But I think Encore will always be around for YYC/YVR-YXJ, YYC-YYF/YBR/YXC/YXH/YQL etc. Maybe they take a stab at Castlegar one day, that's the only realistic market left for them to enter.
Logically, I agree that you are right. Encore provides flexibility for routes, connectivity, and frequency. And yes, I didn't realize their schedules in SK and MB were strong too, but they have a healthy share of WS operations in both cities. WS abandoning Encore and switching to full mainline would certainly impact lots of regional airports across western Canada, we know from past experience what it's like when WS is mainline only, it cuts frequencies, route pairs, and some destinations won't work at all. But just because it makes sense to us, doesn't mean it's working for WS. For all we know, they could be struggling to make the Encore ops work financially, who knows! It certainly wouldn't be the first time an operation that seems strong and logical to us outsiders is actually a loser for the company. But I hope it stays, it serves a very critical role in the west especially connecting smaller communities. But look at airlines like Southwest, they are staunch in their commitment to being a single aircraft company, and it is the 737, exactly the formula WS started with, and stuck to for decades. That's the only reason I'm not sure the behind the scenes reality, and if it has been a boom or bust. It certainly brings it more in line with how AC operates, with a vast network of smaller centres served by turboprops, some connecting point to point and others feeding the hubs. Air Canada is also no stranger to mixing mainline and Express operations on the same route pair, it's always seemed to work well for them to pull Express in when a route is softer or needs slightly more capacity, but not enough for a bigger mainline jet. AC wouldn't be able to function if it were to become only mainline jets like a Southwest. But I feel like WS could make it work that way (again).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
PD will need to ETOPS (probably 90) a few E2s if they want to serve KEF. It certainly would make sense, especially from YOW if they and FI enter into a full-blown codeshare...but I don't think KEF is on PD's radar anytime soon.
ETOPS not necessarily needed to serve KEF. Rouge used to operate YYZ KEF, no etops there. Currently at AC the 7M8 operates to KEF, but half the crews operating there are non ETOPS, so they fly the non etops route.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 10:51 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Porter in a relatively recent interview state that they have no intentions of flying to Europe? It seems that the partnership with Air Transat helps to serve that purpose.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Porter in a relatively recent interview state that they have no intentions of flying to Europe? It seems that the partnership with Air Transat helps to serve that purpose.
They have really gone all in on the Air Transat partnership. If you search Ottawa flights anywhere Air Transat flies they will likely be the cheapest option.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post

And the types of destinations and geographic coverage are overlapping a lot,
to the point where they are close to the same international offerings (don't bite my head off, I know YYZ is still bigger, just the spread between the two has really narrowed.
Airlines clearly want to serve both.

RJ, EK, LX and now AT are the most recent examples.

QR is on record as wanting access to YYZ.
Ethiopian is on record wanting access to YUL. LOT has named YUL in their expansion plans in the past as well.

As bilaterals and/or airline fleets are expanded, you will see more airlines serving both airports (we can include YVR in this as well, so all three airports in fact). And why wouldn't they? A lot of international demand from both, as both have big diasporas from all over. They are two of the largest international markets in North America. So the increased overlap doesn't surprise me one bit.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Aug 6, 2024 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 2:52 PM

Calgary's air terminal took some significant water damage yesterday during some of the thunder storms. Sections on the terminal are closed off today.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:19 PM

Today marks Chrono Aviation's inaugural scheduled YHU-YFB flight: https://www.wingsmagazine.com/chrono...001D3490978J5J

This flight carries zero risk for Chrono as Baffinland pay for the flight, so any scheduled non-employee tickets sold are just gravy.

Assuming Chrono keep this contract for years to come, I suppose they could be a third tenant for the YHU terminal building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Calgary's air terminal took some significant water damage yesterday during some of the thunder storms. Sections on the terminal are closed off today.
Con B will probably be closed for sometime. It’s badly needed to be upgraded for a long time, but YYC losing like 12ish gates when they are already short for gates during peak periods is going to make for some messy operations.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Con B will probably be closed for sometime. It’s badly needed to be upgraded for a long time, but YYC losing like 12ish gates when they are already short for gates during peak periods is going to make for some messy operations.
Where was the damage? Could they close part of the B Gate area and open the first part and open a few gates?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
That Concourse was always in bad conditions even when I was on the Terminal A and central hall expansions a long time ago.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Where was the damage? Could they close part of the B Gate area and open the first part and open a few gates?
There's videos circulating of the damage, including one where you can see ceiling tiles collapsing and water pouring in. If they can work quick enough, perhaps some of it can be opened and used.

As an alternative, I think they can swing over the 90s gates for domestic use once the bulk of the US departures leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
That Concourse was always in bad conditions even when I was on the Terminal A and central hall expansions a long time ago.
I think there was a plan to remodel it pre-COVID but those plans may have been put on hold. Perhaps this might be the nudge they need to finally get to sprucing it up.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:18 AM

YYC Storm Damage

A lot of attention on the terminal; any news of impact to aircraft on the ground?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVR Bruce View Post
A lot of attention on the terminal; any news of impact to aircraft on the ground?
Both AC and WS had several aircraft damaged by the hail.

The airport authority released this statement:
https://www.yyc.com/en-us/media-cent...r-event-at-yyc

Parts of the airport have significant damage, and concourse B will likely be closed for the foreseeable future. There are other areas with minor damages throughout the terminal.

I almost forgot Con A is not fully utilized so there should not be a gate shortage for domestic outbounds.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:18 PM

AC Q2 results: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...847242728.html

- Net income of $410 million or $1.04 diluted earnings per share, compared to $838 million or $2.34 respectively.

- Adjusted net income of $369 million or $0.98 adjusted earnings per diluted share, compared to $664 million or $1.85 respectively.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 5:24 PM

Not surprising, as other carriers were predicting the same. Might be a good time to look for cheap flights to Europe.

Air Canada Says Paris Olympics Are Hurting Sales This Summer
Canada’s largest carrier said Atlantic revenue fell 6% in 2Q
The airline warned last month of lower profitability

By Monique Mulima
August 7, 2024 at 4:10 AM PDT

Air Canada reported a 47% decline in quarterly profit, stung by softening demand in key markets including France, which some travelers are avoiding this summer due to the Olympic Games.

Canada’s largest airline reported revenue of C$5.5 billion ($4 billion) for the second quarter, a 2% rise from the same period in 2023. The company has increased flights this year, so passenger revenue per available seat mile was down more than 4%.

Transatlantic routes were the weak spot, with passenger revenue down 6% for the quarter.

While demand for flights to southern European countries like Italy, Greece and Portugal has been strong, ticket sales for France and Germany haven’t been as good, Chief Executive Officer Michael Rousseau said during a conference call with analysts. Germany was the host country of Europe’s football championship in June and July...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=x4rjnz06

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:14 AM

WS says 10% of its fleet was damaged during the YYC hailstorm. That equates to about 16 aircraft.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/we...l?guccounter=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada