HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
That's a bit general. This is a monument specificially to communist victims and those that fled them to Canada. Should the holocaust monumnet just say to victims of all genocides?
Victims of Communism is a hella general too. Why are we lumping together victims of Holodomor (5 of them in my family btw) and victims of Khmer Rouge then?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Victims of Communism is a hella general too. Why are we lumping together victims of Holodomor (5 of them in my family btw) and victims of Khmer Rouge then?
It's one idealogy. You could argue holodomor is a seperate genocide only partially related to communism. It is also important enough in Canada to warrant it's own monument.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:17 PM
Busy Beaver

The main reason we should be building these memorials is to create awareness in hope of preventing future genocides. Personally I think one could be enough, a place where we can remember any and all international atrocities.

We only have one National War Memorial that functions for the First and Second World Wars all the way to the war in Afghanistan. I know there's been a push to make specific ones but they end up just scattering the focus and costing a lot of money to maintain.

I really, really dislike the use of the term "Monument" for things dedicated to tragedies, they should be "Memorials". I particularly wish the "National Holocaust Monument" was called the "Canadian Memorial to the Holocaust". It sounds like we had a national holocaust and its being celebrated.

Quote:
Monuments and memorials play distinct roles in preserving history and memory. While monuments celebrate achievements and cultural heritage, memorials provide a space for reflection, remembrance, and healing, particularly in the face of loss and tragedy. Understanding these differences allows us to appreciate the unique significance of each in our collective and individual history. Both monuments and memorials serve as powerful reminders of the past and play a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the world and its people.
from What is the difference between a monument and a memorial?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The main reason we should be building these memorials is to create awareness in hope of preventing future genocides. Personally I think one could be enough, a place where we can remember any and all international atrocities.

We only have one National War Memorial that functions for the First and Second World Wars all the way to the war in Afghanistan. I know there's been a push to make specific ones but they end up just scattering the focus and costing a lot of money to maintain.
Sure awareness is important but in this case that is why we need a seperate commuminism memorial because some people think it's an idealogy we could try to solve the so called problems from "late-stage capitilism" The same as the holocaust memorial points out what happens when we let fasicsm or even ethnic nationalism emerge. They are very seperate issues and many who go to the holocaust memorial would work for communism thinking they are avoiding fascism.

But both are also about Canadian communties of people impacted who are looking for a place to rememebr who and what they lost. Another thing to note is lots of victimes of communism were not victims of genocide including those whose families were killed.

Old Posted Today, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Because they are both based on the same ideology and world view. And in those cases more specifically an obsession with collective agriculture.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues