HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 4:58 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Great set Megadude, there's some nice looking buildings there, with a lot of character. One or two of those shots reminds me of Peterborough.

Speaking of our discussion on strange objects found in ditches, creeks and other watercourses, I actually found a nice oak log after some city crews cut down a big oak tree that fell into a staircase by my local (big) park. I had to choose a smaller log from the massive selection beside the stairs, since my backpack is rather small.

It's about a foot long, and at least 9 inches in diameter. I'll show a picture of it sometime....its going to be my wood carving project for the fall or winter.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
They were spread out amongst the many towns I stopped in on my tour of Eastern Ontario. That other one you're talking about is in Belleville.
I must say you did manage to capture in your photos some incredible crapitude in your pictures of eastern Ontario. Have you thought of posting some to

https://www.reddit.com/r/UrbanHell/

Looking at those photos would keep a municipal building code enforcement inspector busy for a long long time. I see a lot of weekend, build without a permit, additions there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

nothing belle about that building in the ville.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
You could technically interpret it that way, but most wouldn't. But because you're trolling, you decided to read it that way.

Between 4-6 of these, 6 IMO, are at the very least interesting or nice, which anyone could see. But again, you went out of the way to start trolling. I was basically showing that there's a lot of crap in Cornwall, but it's not all bad. They do have some good stuff. Which is something I've done before for certain locations and even a single property itself. And even though I posted some of the same pics on a different thread, believe it or not, not every member reads every thread, and they might only look at this one and not the other thread. They might find the dichotomy of good and bad examples here interesting.

You're definitely a stickler for the titles of threads. Why don't you go on literally every other thread and post every time someone mentions something that is "off topic".

Classic jonny24. I'm not going to bother wasting time with you again. Best to just put on ignore.
Well I keep thinking about this so I am going to respond.

I simply asked if you though some of them were ugly, because I was fully prepared to have a discussion why you might think so or not. Beauty is subjective, and on the topic of buildings I'm more than willing to hear what someone likes or doesn't like even if I don't agree. A lot of the "ugly" buildings that get posted I do find some charm or interest.

What I don't let go is detours into looking down on other people living different lifestyles that some posters cannot stop doing. The title of the thread, and opening post, was so clear about this that I can't be the first or only person with this opinion.

There are other threads where there are all sorts of tangents, and I like a lot of those and skip / ignore / scroll past the ones I don't like.

But this thread is one of the specifically about buildings, with specific guidelines, yeah I do "stickle" a little more when I get annoyed. That's not what I was doing with you.

It's not trolling when you asked me to explain myself:

Quote:
If you saw that then why would you ask if I thought they were all ugly?
I explained my logic for my question and you accused me of trolling. And it was logic. "Ugly thread + pictures posted = thinks it's ugly" is not a great stretch of the imagination. Perhaps a bit overly literal.

Good day, sir.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:28 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
megadude, where were those shots taken?

Ugliest one of the lot:

Most of the others are dilapidated. This one is ugly on purpose.
Funny, that was one I kinda liked. The brutalist concrete would actually look kinda cool if they updated the rest from the fugly brown colours.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:36 PM
Fake News

Random weird crapitude from Calgary. I posted this building years ago but the lot continues its' strange existence in the middle of the city, as though it were some serial killer's acreage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0069...5409&entry=ttu

Speaking of serial killers, these vehicles have never moved during the years I have seen it visiting family that lives nearby. The yard and house are hidden by the overgrowth of trees and bushes and weeds.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9834...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:40 PM
Fake News

Though not horrifyingly ugly, this renovation is about as dull and soulless as it gets. Monochromatic grey stucco with no accent of any kind, replacing beautiful wood siding that can't be found today. The yard cleared of any mature trees to showcase this bland and boring building. The staircase would be nice if it weren't the only feature of the 'landscaped' yard. Sorry, sod doesn't count as landscaping.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9838...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:44 PM
I am the law!

I so would have toured the hotel if it's open.

Number 519 is a weird one. So much detail in the porch (addition) compared to the house. The split faced stone house with the Mansard roof is definitely an odd duck too. I wouldn't be surprised if its a 50 year old "McMansion" than over 100 years old

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Though not horrifyingly ugly, this renovation is about as dull and soulless as it gets. Monochromatic grey stucco with no accent of any kind, replacing beautiful wood siding that can't be found today. The yard cleared of any mature trees to showcase this bland and boring building. The staircase would be nice if it weren't the only feature of the 'landscaped' yard. Sorry, sod doesn't count as landscaping.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9838...5409&entry=ttu

These uglification renovations are a dime a dozen in London (Ontario). They are usually found in older, middle-class neighborhoods that have become more attractive on account of location. Also common are stripping a house down to its foundations, replacing the above-grade part with a McMansion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada