HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 4:44 PM

Thanks Matthew. Regarding the Hanes move to the Park Building, “The building has 224,900-square-feet of space and HanesBrands leased roughly 55% of the space.” This is worse than I thought as I thought they leased the entire building.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
The nation's largest bank has chosen a location for its second Winston-Salem branch.
JP Morgan Chase has selected a site on the northeast corner of South Stratford Road and Knollwood Street for its fourth Triad location.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...Pos=3#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
A new project in Winston-Salem is looking to extend a roadway in the area and make it easier for travelers to get to some of Winston-Salem's most popular sites.

Shorefair Drive extends past several prominent attractions in the city, including the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds, several sports complexes and new developments at Whitaker Park…. “This project really is in development regarding some economic development the city has done within Whitaker Park," he explained. "And [it] really comes from a need of making more direct connection to U.S. 52.”

Essentially, it is an at-grade intersection improvement project that will include an improvement at the intersection of the Norfolk Southern Rail Crossing, which will connect Shorefair Drive with Akron Drive, making it easier for drivers to get to U.S. 52.
https://abc45.com/news/local/shorefa...lers-to-us-52#

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 10:19 PM

Very interesting that, at least, something is being done about this arterial access. In fact, it should be an Interstate spur, probably I 185, from I 285 (to be), which is not exactly true to signing conventions for Interstates, but that hasn't stopped irregular such signing in W-S other times by NCDOT. I can't think of any examples off-hand though 1 185 off I 385 near Greenville, S.C. might be an example.

Agreed, there needs to be access from US 52 (presumably to be I 285) to the sports complex of Wake Forest and the city and it should be an Interstate. I recall tennis buff friends in 2001 when the Davis Cup Qualifying round was in W-S telling me what a "bad-looking" city because they had never been to W-S and took Akron Drive from U.S. 52 then Reynolds Drive to the coliseum area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:14 AM

Interesting and needed project. I believe the city has talked about this for a while but with the changes being planned for the coliseum area and wake forest, they feel now is the time to really push it.
A lot of GPSs route people from US-52 through here to the entrainment center. Really does need a better look and easier route. So I guess the traffic will cut through Whitaker Park?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:18 AM

Drove by the Lofts at Whitaker Park. Looks good and is taking shape. I wonder how they are inside? Hope that something good happens with the additional space the developer purchased on the adjacent lot. Hopefully a mix of residential and retail. A coffee shop and lunch spot/casual dining place would do well with all the workers in the area with nowhere to walk to

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston's finest View Post
Drove by the Lofts at Whitaker Park. Looks good and is taking shape. I wonder how they are inside? Hope that something good happens with the additional space the developer purchased on the adjacent lot. Hopefully a mix of residential and retail. A coffee shop and lunch spot/casual dining place would do well with all the workers in the area with nowhere to walk to
Hmm, interesting that the Lofts developer purchased additional land.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 9:18 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Last week was the slowest construction/leasing news week that I've seen in the past 15 years! We still have a nice update for this week!

A perfect Sunday song... this popular '80s rock song is also considered CCM!
Video Link

Salem Bottling Works:

Credit: Christopher Commercial

NIH Research Funding:
The National Institutes of Health has awarded Wake Forest University $28.2 million to accelerate the advancement of research discoveries that improve patient care. Interestingly, Wake Forest University had $436.5 million in NIH funding in 2023.

Interstate 74:

Notice the classic cars on the car hauler, at the start:
Video Link

New Downtown Life Science Leases:
SABEU, a leader in injection molding and mold making since 1958, is the newest tenant in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. SABEU’s experience and DIN EN ISO 9001 and DIN EN ISO 13485 standards certification position it as an ideal partner for regenerative medicine. The SABEU cellQART® is a high quality cell culture insert for cultivation, with semipermeable membranes and a split chamber compartment that helps to keep the inserts in place. These state-of-the-art inserts benefit cell growth for in vivo testing, allowing free access to apply growth materials and substances from all sides.

Nissen Wagon Works Mixed-use:
This project is now leasing. I think they are still doing some work at the site? The metal buildings were renovated to be leased to new industrial/warehouse tenants and most of the historic structures were demolished.

The star smokestack from the 1800s is still standing!

Credit: Linville | Team Partners

Carolina University New Campus:
The university's enrollment surged from 826 to 1,068 students, with long-term plans to have 7,000 students on the new 117-acre campus and 70,000 online students. Next year's enrollment goal is 1,500 students. They also have very little debt, with a goal to be debt free and have reserves in the bank within a year-or-so. They are currently working to have a library and classrooms completed before January, followed by residence halls by next August. The school realized there aren't many 17-year-olds interested in studying ministry, so they modernized their course catalog, while staying affordable. The school now only offers new degrees leading to stable jobs and high-paying salaries starting at $100,000 or more, such as master’s degrees in data science and innovation, along with undergrad courses covering machine learning, artificial intelligence, esports, and cybersecurity. Data science is its fastest-growing program. Carolina University closed low-performing programs in music, history, and its English master’s degree and added engineering and business. Interestingly, Carolina University is training more pastors now than at any other time in their history. They are also seeing strong growth in international students and they have translated their master’s-level ministry degrees into Arabic, Spanish, and Portuguese. They have hundreds of students from Central and South American countries, with Hispanic enrollment approaching 25%, which is on track to meet the Department of Education’s Hispanic-Serving Institutions designation. You can read more in the link: https://ministrywatch.com/the-rise-o...booted-itself/

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Credit: D.S. Duggins Welding

Expansion at Sparq:
Coworks is reporting: "[Jessica] Aveyard hinted at plans for an additional resource room designed to support professional growth. “We are hoping to turn a former office space into a multi-purpose resource space that our members can use to grow their businesses in a more professional way. It will be a unique resource not currently offered in the local community.” This new addition is driven by feedback from mentors and members who have identified a gap in the resources available to entrepreneurs. Aveyard is excited about the potential impact of this new space on the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Winston-Salem."

Highland Avenue Park:
This project has officially started construction, complete with a groundbreaking. If you look closely, you'll see this is near the Metropolitan Mixed-use development, with the new apartment and retail building in the background.

Credit: ForsythCountyNC

A closer look:

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
The new apartment and retail building is topped-out and wrapped. It appears to have all of the windows installed?

You can see the new apartment with retail building, from Metropolitan Mixed-use, in the background:

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:
Completion is set for next month. The company is already moving-in and hiring more employees. Employment has grown by 50% and the company expects to employ 1,000 or more people in this new building. Features of the new building include a research and development center, conference and meeting rooms for engineers and greeting potential customers, and a room of the office space will have screens showing the company's products to visiting customers. The company is ready for future expansion and has a level site to add another 100,000-square-feet of space to the building, if/when needed in the near future.

Nucor Steel Mill:
Nucor will open their new steel mill in First Quarter 2025. The company has already hired 139 people and is still hiring.

Your City

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 1:08 AM

I just drove by today and noticed the fencing and the marketing for the new park. I had never noticed or heard of it. Glad to see a public space and activated park space for the neighborhood. You don’t very many parks in urban neighborhoods

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:40 AM
BANNED

This is awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated. It looks like Winston-Salem has a lot happening. There's a good chance I'll be moving there for law school in August, so I'll be following this thread closely.

Just to confirm, are there about three buildings over 10 stories proposed or under construction?

https://www.alonzojunkmovers.com/jun...al-palmdale-ca

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 5:44 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Yes, this is the city Southern Living named to it's Top 8 Under the Radar Southern Cities to Visit This Summer. Winston-Salem was ranked 5th on that list.

Video Link

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters: Built!
This project is now completed. A storefront was transformed into an office space for an architecture firm. What is my opinion on this: Storefronts are for retail/restaurants/bars. There is plenty of office space downtown for 8 a.m., to 5 p.m., offices.

Credit: George M Bryan Jr

Credit: George M Bryan Jr

Belews Lake Park:
The first phase of this project is nearing completion, with a completion date set for September 2024, depending on weather/delays. Look for amenities, such as a 150 person capacity picnic facility with restrooms, a new walking path with five picnic pads (table and grill), and a floating fishing dock.

Gateway Nature Preserve Observation Platform: Built!
This project is now completed. Be sure to visit to see and photograph the various animal species in and around the waterway.

Credit: gatewaynaturepreserve

Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights:
I don't know if I've reported this previously, but the Choice Neighborhoods development will include public art. If my information is correct, $875,000 will be spent on a sculpture at Brown School Lofts. For any interested artists, we should have more information this month on requirements and where to send your proposal.

African-American History Museum:

Credit: Dale Briggs

Nucor Steel Mill:
Nucor said their new steel mill will open in April 2025. This project will cost nearly half-a-billion-dollars when completed.

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: wB50WI50Fbk

Event Center of the Week:
Graystone Event Center may open at 218 Century Boulevard in Kernersville. It appears to be a small space for an event center? She is strongly considering this location.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:

The Dutch Light progress update:

Credit: thedutchlightbar

Loewy Building Apartments & Retail:
High Tide Capital is already working on gaining Landmark status for the Loewy Building. HAWS will move their office space employees into 901 Cleveland Avenue when interior work is completed. According to documents, this is expected to happen in September. Interestingly, the exterior of 901 Cleveland Avenue will still be under construction. Frank L. Blum Construction will complete the exterior and landscaping for $775,435.

Highland Avenue Park:
This project also includes a sensory climbing dome and movable picnic tables, which allow a lighted bandshell to accommodate events.

Credit: WStoday

Stokes County Courthouse Expansion:
Peterson-Gordon Architects are working on a two-storey expansion to the front of the 1982 courthouse building. The $11 million expansion will add roughly 18,000-square-feet to the structure. The plans also include a renovation of the 1982 building. I doubt we will find many photographs of this project, when construction starts.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
"downstairs shower is done and the bathroom walls and ceiling are painted to prepare for tiling the floor, staircase window is restored and back in place, living room plaster repairs are done and the ceiling is prepped for drywall (while keeping the original beams exposed!)."

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

"Original top log, roughly 9.5 x 11.5"

Crystal Towers Renovation:
The second elevator should be inspected and opened this month. We are still waiting on the inside-out assessment, renderings, and cost estimate from their architect.

Alternative Transportation:

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Warby Parker is preparing to open its second Triad retail store, this time at Thruway Shopping Center by the end of the year.

The eyeglass retailer has created a webpage for the store at 260 S. Stratford Road, Suite 21. The company has listed job openings on its website and other websites such as General Catalyst, Greenhouse and LinkedIn.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:16 PM

We have our first fully rendered look at the Midtown Wake Forest University masterplan.

https://relmstudio.com/project/type/...st-university/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
We have our first fully rendered look at the Midtown Wake Forest University masterplan.

https://relmstudio.com/project/type/...st-university/
Thanks for the link! Looks like a massive undertaking. Some quick takeaways:

- Residential in the Orange/Blue lots next to the football stadium, along the northern side of Deacon Blvd and in the western lot adjacent to LJVM. Mixed use retail as part of the last two. Seems like a tough sell to me for a mixed use project in the LJVM parking lot, but if the other two are successful I could see it spilling over Deacon Blvd. Also a hotel in the lot south of LJVM.

- This means parking decks for the sporting events. Two are shown, one on the eastern side of LJVM and another on the Red lot near the football stadium. Will take away from tailgating but it appears they address that somewhat with a village style development near the stadium.

- Love that they are creating a park and using the wooded area for a walking path to and from WFU. Given the location adjacent to University Parkway to the west and industrial use to the north and east it needs to have some self-contained natural areas.

My feeling is it makes most sense to start with the area north of Deacon Blvd, then once that stabilizes move to the Orange/Blue lots. That will surround the natural area and walking path that integrates it with WFU. If those do well then the LJVM lots can be next.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 2:07 PM

The overall scale/offerings is fitting for a school the size of WFU. It's very much realistic.

I love the hotel site adjacent to LJVM and the hopefully a legit splash pad for the community.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 3:29 PM

The Fairgrounds are nowhere to be found.....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 4:58 PM

Looks very promising and I hope this materializes over a couple of years rather than decades. I do think with all of this development the Joel Coliseum (capacity 14,665) should be expanded to 20,000 to attract some major events all of which now go to Greensboro. Further, I think Groves stadium (or whatever it is now) should fill in one end zone with seating. I've heard the reasoning that there's not enough draw and therefore it shouldn't appear empty. I still say fill in the endzone with seating so as not to be continuously the smallest stadium in the ACC. All of this development warrants these two expansions, in my opinion. I also hope the Winston-Salem Open (not mentioned) becomes more-and-more successful also warranting expansion. I know it's not now likely but Flow originally hinted (if not proposed) a state-of-the-art arena with a retractable roof.

And "The Fairgrounds are nowhere to be found....." - agreed what happened, will the fairgrounds be relocated or was it merely an oversight?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Visitors spent more than $1 billion in Forsyth County last year, Visit NC reported Tuesday.

Forsyth had a 6.9% uptick in visitor spending to $1.06 billion, exceeding the previous high of $996 million in 2019.

After spending plunged to $527.3 million in 2020 during the initial year of the COVID-19 pandemic, Forsyth and most North Carolina counties have gradually recovered visitor spending the past three years.

Forsyth remained ranked ninth in visitor spending during 2023.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/to...home-top-story

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:01 PM
Fourth and Main

The plans for Midtown look better than I expected! Thank you TwinCity for sharing the link. I'll study them more tonight, when I'm not so busy with work. We may need to download all the images, since things like this have a habit of disappearing when we find them. It should dramatically change the game day and concert/event experience!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 12:54 PM

As it relates to the fairgrounds, I think in the initial rendering of the site they just added a bunch of trees to pretty it up. The buildings are still there, they just added greenery to the actual grounds. In the subsequent images that outline the improvements the fairgrounds are not shown as any different and are outside the scope of the development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations