HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 3:23 PM
PHL

Those new MFL cars are fcking glorious. I am so excited for those, plus the new trollies. Good stuff.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
"He who breaks the law goes back to the House of Pain!"

Well they did have to install special lights in the bathrooms to try to deter addicts from shooting up and had to have employees mop up blood on a regular basis so...

This location is going to come with some extra security benefits so it's not a good correlation.

This is an interesting topic and one I have been personally tracking, not growing up in the Philly area myself and thinking about my next move. Many of my neighbors in MontCo are from other states and countries and the pandemic seemed to accelerate this shift. But they are starting to leave, though, for numerous reasons. In the last few months:
  • One family from Canada to OH due to a job transfer.
  • One family from OH back to OH to be closer to family.
  • One single male to FL.
  • One couple is building a house in FL and moving at the end of this year.
  • One single male will be moving back to FL within a few years.
  • Two sisters + Mom from Iran are discussing moving back to FL but also house shopping in PA outside of the Philly area and towards Allentown.
  • One couple discussing moving closer to NYC where she is from (she can't stand PA/Philly, we have some funny conversations ha ha).
I am seeing more out of state plates around me than ever, with FL, GA and NY being the top (I don't count NJ or DE, as you never know if that is for a move or just in the area for the day). So anecdotally many arrive but not as many are staying for more than a few years. I've been in the area for many years now and have never seen it this transient.
Counterpoint: the Callowhill location just expanded into a bigger space and added a bunch more indoor seating. I was there this morning. It's really nice. Also that's not just a Philly thing re: bathroom occupancy detectors and altered lighting. I worked at a starbucks in another big city outside the NE in law school several years ago and they made that change to the store I was at.

I seem to remember the data showing that the #1 place people are moving to Philly from is other places in PA, #2 is the NY metro area. I can't remember where I saw that though. If anyone knows that would be cool to see the actual data

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 2:33 AM

Sorry all I can get is this crappy phone pic. BNY Melon has been testing new lights tonight in the 'cornice' looking section!

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Jul 28, 2024 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 7:08 PM

I was just in the Baltimore area yesterday (Maybe Towson)I drove down to purchase an item off Facebook Marketplace. The area was really nice and reminded me of the Main Line or the Villanova area. The gentleman that I met asked me if I was from Philly. (I had on my Phillies jersey) and I told him that I was, and he proceeded to tell me that he was moving into the city next month.!I said well it's very different from here. (Loyola Blakefield area). He said yes it is but I was very surprised at the price of the homes. He said that he is moving to the Graduate area, i believe he said somewhere around Pt Breeze or so. I said you never knew rowhomes could cost so much huh? LOL.He laughed and said he is looking forward to it and that there is SOOO MUCH New Construction up there and Philly has really been making a lot of improvements.! Glad to see someone outside of our area has such positive things to say about our City. I wished him all the luck with his move. !

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 11:25 PM

HOLY shit they're listening. And I am happy! Three Logan Square next please! And Two Liberty!

Last edited by TK2001; Yesterday at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Chris

This would be a hit in Center City. The one in NYC has lines out the door every weekend.

Museum of Ice Cream scouting Philadelphia for new location
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-location.html

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM

Speaking of the MFL trains, does anyone know what the status is on the new turnstiles? I heard a couple months ago that the results seemed good at 69th street but hadn't heard any more since then. If they're effective I'd love to see an expanded rollout

Old Posted Today, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephph View Post
Speaking of the MFL trains, does anyone know what the status is on the new turnstiles? I heard a couple months ago that the results seemed good at 69th street but hadn't heard any more since then. If they're effective I'd love to see an expanded rollout
This needs to happen ASAP. Every day they leave it the way it is equals money flying out the door.

Old Posted Today, 5:13 PM

I emailed Septa about it a while ago and got this:

"We are mobilizing now at 69th St where the pilot will take place. The first phase will entail closing down half the MFL fareline and replacing the current turnstiles with the new models. We will also replace about 1/3 of the NHSL turnstiles in Phase One. Installation of the new units will commence the week of March 19th. We anticipate that by late April/early May we will be put the new units into service, and then begin to swap out the remaining original units. The new gates will be evaluated by several people to ascertain if they are performing as desired. If the pilot proves successful, we will then begin to retrofit the other stations in 2025 and would have everything replaced within five years.

If you have a chance, please visit 69th Street later this month to see the work in progress and then use the new gates when they are in service. Let me know what you think.

Concurrently, we are working with the City to revise how fare evasion and various quality-of-life civil infractions are adjudicated. These administrative changes plus the use of new technology we anticipate will help to turn the tide on the recent proliferation of anti-social behavior that you are others witness on SEPTA."

I hope they are smart enough to see that the pilot was a success and they need to do it everywhere (especially MFL) as fast as possible.

Old Posted Today, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post

I hope they are smart enough to see that the pilot was a success and they need to do it everywhere (especially MFL) as fast as possible.
I'm wary of the "swing design" of the gates. The PATCO gate fare evasion I generally have witnessed is piggybacking (an evader quickly follows an unbeknownst rider through the gate). But now I see more and more people put their back again the gates and just push through. If that's all it takes, what's the point? Hopefully the Septa gate has a catch that locks so a person can't simply overpower the motor brake.

Old Posted Today, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I'm wary of the "swing design" of the gates. The PATCO gate fare evasion I generally have witnessed is piggybacking (an evader quickly follows an unbeknownst rider through the gate). But now I see more and more people put their back again the gates and just push through. If that's all it takes, what's the point? Hopefully the Septa gate has a catch that locks so a person can't simply overpower the motor brake.
There is no effective way to prevent piggybacking, other than by staffing gates with cops to send them back out. What's important is that the new turnstiles can track this.

The new turnstiles also doubled revenues at 69th. I have heard that the pilot will be expanded to 8 or so other stations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development