HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
This is great news!
Seems to be lead by booming growth by the low cost carriers, Frontier up 211%! And Spirit up 143%. I did a quick calc, full service are up 3.5%, low cost up 102% overall. I wonder what that means?

Interesting Alaska shrank 5%. Although a big increase for Horizon - is Alaska moving more flights to smaller regional type jets? But then Delta is increasing while Skywest went down, seems to be a different strategy by each.

JetBlue down 56%, are they trying to leave the market?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Seems to be lead by booming growth by the low cost carriers, Frontier up 211%! And Spirit up 143%. I did a quick calc, full service are up 3.5%, low cost up 102% overall. I wonder what that means?

Interesting Alaska shrank 5%. Although a big increase for Horizon - is Alaska moving more flights to smaller regional type jets? But then Delta is increasing while Skywest went down, seems to be a different strategy by each.

JetBlue down 56%, are they trying to leave the market?
JetBlue dropped their JFK flights from PDX and only fly to Boston. They are struggling in many markets and I'm not sure how much longer they will stay at PDX since they just dropped a bunch of cities earlier this week.

Someday JetBlue and Alaska will merge.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
JetBlue dropped their JFK flights from PDX and only fly to Boston. They are struggling in many markets and I'm not sure how much longer they will stay at PDX since they just dropped a bunch of cities earlier this week.

Oh I hadn't been tracking that about JetBlue.

Are there real rumors about Alaska and JetBlue?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:

In addition to the cutting of routes, JetBlue flights to the east coast have only been red eyes. No thanks. I accumulated a ton of JetBlue points when they flew to Long Beach, CA with several flights a day, but they are worthless now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Oh I hadn't been tracking that about JetBlue.

Are there real rumors about Alaska and JetBlue?
No real rumors but JetBlue admitted they had considered making a bid for Alaska before going for Spirit. A merger is unlikely now since the feds would block it but on paper the two airlines would make a good fit since they have almost no overlap.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
In addition to the cutting of routes, JetBlue flights to the east coast have only been red eyes. No thanks. I accumulated a ton of JetBlue points when they flew to Long Beach, CA with several flights a day, but they are worthless now.
The LGB route on Jetblue was my go-to for southern CA. It's quite apparent that JetBlue is struggling as they just announced several more routes they are dropping recently. I'd be surprised if Jetblue is around much longer, which is a shame because I really liked flying with them in the past.

Old Posted Today, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
The LGB route on Jetblue was my go-to for southern CA. It's quite apparent that JetBlue is struggling as they just announced several more routes they are dropping recently. I'd be surprised if Jetblue is around much longer, which is a shame because I really liked flying with them in the past.
JetBlue will not go out of business. Their east coast traffic and JFK hub are huge money makers. Long Beach is an awesome airport but a terrible hub due to all the constraints there. But moving flights to LAX made them just another airline. Think of them as the east coast Alaska airlines. That's why a merger between the two is inevitable since they both struggle to grow beyond their own home bases.

Old Posted Today, 1:32 PM

Quote:
JetBlue will not go out of business. Their east coast traffic and JFK hub are huge money makers. Long Beach is an awesome airport but a terrible hub due to all the constraints there. But moving flights to LAX made them just another airline. Think of them as the east coast Alaska airlines. That's why a merger between the two is inevitable since they both struggle to grow beyond their own home bases.
Honestly from a casual flyer perspective, unless I'm specifically flying to JFK or BOS, I would likely not even look at JetBlue. They are in a weird spot to: not being part of a formal alliance, being a former low cost carrier but maybe not anymore (but also maybe not a real full service airline?), but then trying to merge with actual low cost Spirit.

Trying to merge with Spirit or Alaska are hard to even comprehend as a strategy, since they are such different types of airlines. Which are you? Low cost or full service? Grasping at straws is almost seems.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure