HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Well Calgary was growing at an insane pace, until the oil price crash in 2014 made the city have one of the highest office vacancy rates in North America. I can't imagine the COVID pandemic a few years later helped.
But the high rises in other cities aren't office. They're residential. I guess it's just the difference between major TOD vs sprawl.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:36 PM
I am the law!

Major TOD vs Sprawl or ...

warehousing people vs building human scaled walkable communities. You may want to check out some of those Calgary developments vs say Gillmore Place

The standard bearer from TOD to urbanity still revolves around denser and taller despite all the physical failures one can visit or read about

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:58 PM

Most of the transit oriented development in Seattle is 4 to 5 storey apartments along the link LRT. We like to build nodes of bajillion story towers containing unlivable shoeboxes around transit centres, interspersed with vast swaths of nothing, which is why we score high on these comparisons

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:32 PM

The thing is, it's not either or. I don't know about Toronto, but we see tons of 6 storey buildings in Vancouver. Having worked on TOD in Calgary, I know how it is planned. Smartly, they planned around demand. The expectation was only a few stations could handle TOD, and planning for it around every station would lead to overstretched development patterns because demand was too weak to properly develop every station area. Or even half of the station areas. It is a city that still sees a lot of development in new sprawl, which lessens the demand for TOD even during a period of high growth.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:35 PM
I am the law!

There are many suburban stations that are not well equipped for dense residential developments and no more than mid rise times coverage should be considered at all but a couple. Instead we're starting to build and demand for more denser clusters of skyscrapers than China with a billion people. We've diluted in thinking that affordability, high population is achievable through intensification and the result is narrow shoe boxes looking into other shoe boxes occupied by desperation than desire. Sprawl is an ugly, anti-social form of development. Outward expansion in the form of Toronto's streetcar suburbs wouldn't be called sprawl. (Best would to copy Asia and build new cities of 2 million or more from scratch.) The ugly, anti-social, unwalkable skyscrapers in suburban TODs are more representative of sprawl. Yeah, if you have to walk to a station and jump on a train for just about anything than the neighbourhood is not walkable. That's Toronto. Metrotown fares so much better but, what type of environment are we creating with more and more lots filling in giving us the first impressions of just how close these towers will be to one another at build out.

This forum obsesses about population growth as it leads to bigger and bolder development. More development brings more people and more vibrancy. However, is it really all that healthy? Of course, at present, one really has to experience it in Toronto to start questioning it.

Old Posted Today, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There are many suburban stations that are not well equipped for dense residential developments and no more than mid rise times coverage should be considered at all but a couple. Instead we're starting to build and demand for more denser clusters of skyscrapers than China with a billion people. We've diluted in thinking that affordability, high population is achievable through intensification and the result is narrow shoe boxes looking into other shoe boxes occupied by desperation than desire. Sprawl is an ugly, anti-social form of development. Outward expansion in the form of Toronto's streetcar suburbs wouldn't be called sprawl. (Best would to copy Asia and build new cities of 2 million or more from scratch.) The ugly, anti-social, unwalkable skyscrapers in suburban TODs are more representative of sprawl. Yeah, if you have to walk to a station and jump on a train for just about anything than the neighbourhood is not walkable. That's Toronto. Metrotown fares so much better but, what type of environment are we creating with more and more lots filling in giving us the first impressions of just how close these towers will be to one another at build out.

This forum obsesses about population growth as it leads to bigger and bolder development. More development brings more people and more vibrancy. However, is it really all that healthy? Of course, at present, one really has to experience it in Toronto to start questioning it.
if you're in downtown (like east of bathurst, west of the don river, north of the lake, south of bloor) it's very walkable and the density is a big reason why.

Last edited by saffronleaf; Today at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Is this being selective, or is Vancouver #3 in North America?
not selective check the image from op

Old Posted Today, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Surprising how much growth Alberta is seeing without new high rises.
vancouver has limited land due to ocean & mountains; toronto has limited land due to greenbelt & lake.

Old Posted Today, 3:37 AM

Interesting! I just want to add that as a resident of central Toronto without a car that the neighbourhoods around basically every subway station are very walkable. Though suburban stations started out being surrounded by parking those days are gone and most have signifiant high-rise towers that have retail/amenities and community facilities that work well for their residents! This is now happening around GO stations.

I am not saying high rises are perfect but they aren’t as bad as many make out on this forum. I imagine that many of you are suburbanites in smaller centres so it may be understandable.

Old Posted Today, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Interesting! I just want to add that as a resident of central Toronto without a car that the neighbourhoods around basically every subway station are very walkable. Though suburban stations started out being surrounded by parking those days are gone and most have signifiant high-rise towers that have retail/amenities and community facilities that work well for their residents! This is now happening around GO stations.

I am not saying high rises are perfect but they aren’t as bad as many make out on this forum. I imagine that many of you are suburbanites in smaller centres so it may be understandable.
not just not bad, but pretty good and useful and necessary

Old Posted Today, 5:46 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post

And of course we also need to remember that streetcar suburbs were not self-contained, 15 minute cities. Their whole existence was predicated on being connected to the city by rail transit lines (streetcar routes) hence their name. That's what allowed the city to expand beyond a typical person's comfortable walking range before the proliferation of motor vehicles. While streetcar suburbs are today fairly urban since they've been completely enveloped by the city and are very central, at the time they were on the urban fringe and didn't have the urban amenities they have now. They would have had basic things like corner stores and a local pub, but people took the streetcar into the city for most of their regular needs. The streetcar extended people's walking distance in an era when cities were built around walking as the main transportation method.

Streetcars are obviously different from subway and commuter rail lines in that they're slower and more integrated into the streetscape, but streetcar suburbs were very close to the central city compared to contemporary suburbs so travel distances weren't any longer. Plus they were faster back then before there was car congestion to deal with. So if you were to build a residential area with the density and basic form of a streetcar suburb on greenfields on the edge of the current metro area, they would still need to be connected to the central city by rail lines to provide residents with at least some of their needs such as employment. That's the central feature of such a development model.

The challenge is that the edge of the metro area is so damn far from the central areas now because of all the contemporary car-suburb crap in between. So it would be a major challenge to make rail lines that are fast enough to provide a similar travel time. But the idea that there can be areas with streetcar suburb density but that aren't reliant on a connection to the central city isn't a thing. The density is too low to be internally self-sufficient, while large cities are just too populous now for even dense ones to cram into a walking-distance land area. So neighbourhoods either need density higher than streetcar suburbs or to rely on external connections using cars or transit.

Old Posted Today, 1:48 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Surrey, BC.

Scroll ------------->

Old Posted Today, 2:54 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
if you're in downtown (like east of bathurst, west of the don river, north of the lake, south of bloor) it's very walkable and the density is a big reason why.
What does downtown Toronto have to do with suburban TOD design?

If you think suburban 40 storey clusters with some retail, a commuter rail or metro station and little else to support a population of a small city in a few hundred acres surrounded by sprawl is greater than upping transit figures (and not to be associated with getting people out of cars) than so be it. I think it's doubling down on the 1000 modernist suburban slabs built between 1960 and 1980 in which few have aged gracefully. The units are larger and wider and tower spacing allows for views than what is being concocted today. The ones part of transit oriented developments 50 years before the invention of the transit oriented development label haven't aged any better than the ones in autocentric suburbia.

Downtown Toronto was always walkable my entire lifetime. It was dark and gloomy in the mid 1990s. It was vibrant and enjoyable 10 years ago. Today, it's leaning on crowded and getting more crowded every passing year. I can't imagine shopping, picnicing. strolling, festivaling in another 20 years with the population growth and the buildable residential densities being allowed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada