HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCountyLogan View Post
Just looking at marine traffic and noticed two cargo ships tied up at long wharf and thought it was interesting. Doesn't happen very often. Good to see long wharf being used.
Just looked at the port website and there is a 3rd ship scheduled to use Long wharf early next week.
Wonder what they are transporting
In recent years Long Wharf seems to be the port's go to for large pieces of industrial equipment. Things like wind turbine parts, large machinery for mills, power plants or the refinery.

I'd think it would be too early for stuff to be arriving for the paper mill expansion/refit but who knows?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:24 PM

The last couple weeks they’ve been unloading wind turbines

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 1:19 AM

A breakbulk vessel, the Brassiana, is berthed at the container port today-- DP World's website lists it as woodpulp.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:06 PM

Announcement about the new service on LinkedIn

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:23 PM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 7:57 PM

There were 5 ships docked at the port today. 2 at long wharf. 2 at the container terminal and a cruise ship. Good to see the port thriving

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 12:15 AM

There were far more than that in the harbour, let’s not forget that the area by Uptown is only the Inner Harbour, we also have docks in Courtenay Bay and out at Canaport

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
There were far more than that in the harbour, let’s not forget that the area by Uptown is only the Inner Harbour, we also have docks in Courtenay Bay and out at Canaport
Absolutely. Potash, Irving ESJ, Irving monobuoy & SJLNG can add another five vessel berthings. Our Harbour at times has had a dozen plus vessels berthed and/or at anchor. Atlantic towing has never been busier. During the busiest of times we could use all tugs on duty plus more tugs and extra pilots for vessel moves.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 1:49 PM

We've probably had more ships in port back during the "winter port" days of the 50's and 60's but back then ships were tiny by comparison to today (sometimes as many a 4 in a slip on the westside). They spent far more time in port in those days so maybe not as large a total number moves at each high tide.

Last edited by sailor734; Jul 9, 2024 at 11:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 10:17 PM

You know it’s busy when containers get piled up on Navy Island

Old Posted Jul 21, 2024, 12:18 AM

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:06 PM

Canpotex Fully Committed on Potash Sales through September 30, 2024
News

July 22, 2024

Due to continued strong demand for potash and widespread engagement in all major offshore markets, Canpotex is fully committed on volumes for potash sales through September 30, 2024. This demand and engagement is supported by solid fundamentals for agricultural commodities, as well as recognition of the clear value and affordability of potash in key growing regions. In addition, the focus on food security and food quality continues in many of Canpotex’s markets.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:12 PM

DP World is investigating using their "rotainer" capability to move potash intermodally by sea, rail, and truck. They have developed this in Russia for what I believe is volume coal shipments.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
DP World is investigating using their "rotainer" capability to move potash intermodally by sea, rail, and truck. They have developed this in Russia for what I believe is volume coal shipments.
DP World Canada’s CEO mentioned that on the “Port Podcast” last month. Overall, it was a pretty interesting interview. H
He had a lot of positive things to say about Port Saint John’s future. Might be worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
DP World Canada’s CEO mentioned that on the “Port Podcast” last month. Overall, it was a pretty interesting interview. H
He had a lot of positive things to say about Port Saint John’s future. Might be worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it.
I had seen that at the time, but I didn't see it mentioned here.

Another really big thing that Doug Smith mentioned that I haven't heard or seen any chatter on was around 13:45.

As the highest representative of DP World in Canada, he made a statement that perked my ears up. It is obvious they are forming, or more likely, have formed already, a plan of how they are going to proceed in the future here. He made a statement that provided no detail, but made it obvious they look at deepening the current berth(s) as part of their plan, and they know pretty much exactly how far they can go, and need to go. That information was not disclosed as it is of significant commercial value.

"It's not well known how deep it really can be here" is what he said and then moved on.

Moving sideways, I have also heard on the grapevine that Hapag is going to be adding another service, or contract, or whatever... starting in October. This is quite possible right now especially considering Hapag and Maersk are inaugurating their Gemini Cooperation early next year. I have looked everywhere to try to confirm this, but as I would expect, nobody is blasting this out over the airwaves. I was wondering if anybody else had heard anything along that line, and if you think it's likely or otherwise. Please don't consider this a hot news tip. I just think it's a good possibility, but nobody has jumped up to confirm one way or another.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:10 PM

There are some bread crumbs that indicate this is possible upcoming but its contingent on the Gemini Cooperation, which is currently held up by the US FMC.

More detail on Gemini and the hold up: https://shipfax.blogspot.com/2024/07...operation.html

A breadcrumb from CPKC when asked about growth at Saint John referencing Gemini:
https://s21.q4cdn.com/736796105/file...nscript_vf.pdf

Surely there will be more coming at some point as the capacity work for 300K TEU/annum is complete with 800K TEU/annum underway.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
I had seen that at the time, but I didn't see it mentioned here.

Another really big thing that Doug Smith mentioned that I haven't heard or seen any chatter on was around 13:45.

As the highest representative of DP World in Canada, he made a statement that perked my ears up. It is obvious they are forming, or more likely, have formed already, a plan of how they are going to proceed in the future here. He made a statement that provided no detail, but made it obvious they look at deepening the current berth(s) as part of their plan, and they know pretty much exactly how far they can go, and need to go. That information was not disclosed as it is of significant commercial value.

"It's not well known how deep it really can be here" is what he said and then moved on.

Moving sideways, I have also heard on the grapevine that Hapag is going to be adding another service, or contract, or whatever... starting in October. This is quite possible right now especially considering Hapag and Maersk are inaugurating their Gemini Cooperation early next year. I have looked everywhere to try to confirm this, but as I would expect, nobody is blasting this out over the airwaves. I was wondering if anybody else had heard anything along that line, and if you think it's likely or otherwise. Please don't consider this a hot news tip. I just think it's a good possibility, but nobody has jumped up to confirm one way or another.

The M2 alliance is terminating this year, which was the alliance of MSC and Maersk. Maersk and Hapag Lloyd are joining together next year and will turn the tables on container traffic regarding Saint John. Hapag is currently in an alliance with ONE, HMM and Yang Ming, which ironically is called The Alliance. You see the pink ONE boxes on the NYK ships that come to Saint John. ONE is three companies that also came together, Japanese companies NYK, MOL and K-Line. Hapag Lloyd is the dominant line in the The Alliance, and the The Alliance may not be able to survive without Hapag Lloyd. Unless another major line joins, The Alliance may fold.

As for Saint John, Hapag Lloyd and CP rail have increased the cargo significantly. With Hapag and Maersk joining force, it may also bring much more cargo through the port city. Maersk currently calls Halifax but may have to turn to Saint John, like Hapag has, once the Gemini alliance begins.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 8:01 PM

From the DP World of Canada CEO over on LinkedIn:

Transforming Port Operations: A Vision for Innovation and Growth For DP World in Canada.

“As the CEO of DP World in Canada, I've had the privilege of steering our operations amidst one of the most dynamic periods in the history of global trade. Reflecting on my journey through four continents and numerous roles, I've realized that the challenges we face are not just operational but fundamentally strategic. 

Port Saint John, which I’ve referred to as the “uncut gem” of the maritime world, embodies vast potential. Our vision is to transform this port into a central hub for North America's trade corridors. This vision isn't merely aspirational—it is both necessary and achievable. We aim to enhance its inherent strengths—its deepwater access and prime geographical location, making it an ideal gateway for international trade. 

Innovation at our ports involves rethinking and reshaping traditional models. For instance, at DP World, we are not just moving containers; we're advancing synergies across operations. We can learn from our other ports, where we’re integrating technology in new ways. For example, we’re planning to introduce digital-twin technology, which allows us to simulate port operations and optimize our strategies in real-time. This kind of forward-thinking technology enables us to anticipate challenges and adapt quickly, ensuring efficiency and sustainability. 

Our approach extends beyond technology. We believe in the power of people. Empowering our workforce, giving them tools to succeed, and fostering an environment of continuous learning and adaptation are fundamental to our success. By investing in our people, we invest in the future of our operations and, by extension, the communities we serve. 

We're also focusing on end-to-end logistics solutions. For example, by partnering with Americold, we aim to create a distribution center near Port Saint John, which will serve as a critical node in North America's logistics network. This development is not just about expanding our capacity; it's about creating value for every stakeholder in the supply chain.

Sustainability is another cornerstone of our operations. As global awareness of environmental issues grows, ports must lead by example. We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint through initiatives such as electrifying our cargo handling equipment and investing in renewable energy sources. These steps are not just good for the planet; they make good business sense by reducing operational costs and future-proofing our investments. 

Looking ahead, our goal is to continue pushing the boundaries of what a modern port can be. This involves a dual focus on operational excellence and strategic expansion. We are planning to expand our physical and operational capacities to meet future demands, ensuring that we can accommodate the next generation of mega-ships and the increasing volume of global trade. 

Innovation, sustainability, and community are at the heart of everything we do at DP World in Canada. As we move forward, these principles will guide our efforts to not only meet the current needs of global trade but to anticipate and shape its future. Our work today ensures that Port Saint John, and all our operations, continue to be vital components of global supply chains, driving economic growth and development for Canada and beyond. 

Our journey of transformation here at DP World in Canada is about more than adapting to change—it's about leading it. We are committed to being at the forefront of the industry, continuously evolving and innovating to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers and communities. 

Last month, I sat down with the hosts of Port Saint John’s Port Podcast, where we discussed all these efforts and more. To dive deeper into our conversation, I recommend checking out the episode – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEyYV9Dgcg

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
From the DP World of Canada CEO over on LinkedIn:

Transforming Port Operations: A Vision for Innovation and Growth For DP World in Canada.

“As the CEO of DP World in Canada, I've had the privilege of steering our operations amidst one of the most dynamic periods in the history of global trade. Reflecting on my journey through four continents and numerous roles, I've realized that the challenges we face are not just operational but fundamentally strategic. 

Port Saint John, which I’ve referred to as the “uncut gem” of the maritime world, embodies vast potential. Our vision is to transform this port into a central hub for North America's trade corridors. This vision isn't merely aspirational—it is both necessary and achievable. We aim to enhance its inherent strengths—its deepwater access and prime geographical location, making it an ideal gateway for international trade. 

Innovation at our ports involves rethinking and reshaping traditional models. For instance, at DP World, we are not just moving containers; we're advancing synergies across operations. We can learn from our other ports, where we’re integrating technology in new ways. For example, we’re planning to introduce digital-twin technology, which allows us to simulate port operations and optimize our strategies in real-time. This kind of forward-thinking technology enables us to anticipate challenges and adapt quickly, ensuring efficiency and sustainability. 

Our approach extends beyond technology. We believe in the power of people. Empowering our workforce, giving them tools to succeed, and fostering an environment of continuous learning and adaptation are fundamental to our success. By investing in our people, we invest in the future of our operations and, by extension, the communities we serve. 

We're also focusing on end-to-end logistics solutions. For example, by partnering with Americold, we aim to create a distribution center near Port Saint John, which will serve as a critical node in North America's logistics network. This development is not just about expanding our capacity; it's about creating value for every stakeholder in the supply chain.

Sustainability is another cornerstone of our operations. As global awareness of environmental issues grows, ports must lead by example. We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint through initiatives such as electrifying our cargo handling equipment and investing in renewable energy sources. These steps are not just good for the planet; they make good business sense by reducing operational costs and future-proofing our investments. 

Looking ahead, our goal is to continue pushing the boundaries of what a modern port can be. This involves a dual focus on operational excellence and strategic expansion. We are planning to expand our physical and operational capacities to meet future demands, ensuring that we can accommodate the next generation of mega-ships and the increasing volume of global trade. 

Innovation, sustainability, and community are at the heart of everything we do at DP World in Canada. As we move forward, these principles will guide our efforts to not only meet the current needs of global trade but to anticipate and shape its future. Our work today ensures that Port Saint John, and all our operations, continue to be vital components of global supply chains, driving economic growth and development for Canada and beyond. 

Our journey of transformation here at DP World in Canada is about more than adapting to change—it's about leading it. We are committed to being at the forefront of the industry, continuously evolving and innovating to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers and communities. 

Last month, I sat down with the hosts of Port Saint John’s Port Podcast, where we discussed all these efforts and more. To dive deeper into our conversation, I recommend checking out the episode – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEyYV9Dgcg
There's a lot to unpack in that statement. You can rest assured that DP World did not just pull that out of their pre-prepared public statements. “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” Buckle up and hang on for the ride! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:49 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces