HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I predict up to 10 riders per trip.
So more than the red line extension?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 4:30 AM

5-7 minute headways on the Blue Line (or anywhere else on the CTA) haven't been a thing for years.

More like 20-30 minutes, at best.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:25 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

When I commute using the red line it’s usually 5-7 minute headways and 7-10 minutes for the brown line. I don’t have regular trips with the other lines recently.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:24 PM

The Metra stop at O'hare is convenient for suburbanites who would like to take transit to the airport but the blue line doesn't go past O'hare. the Metra NCS line is a very busy line that goes all the way to Antioch, some of those commuters would be happy to ride to O'hare if they could conveniently change to the ATS close to the transfer station.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:50 PM
TL;DR

Sure, that was the reason they built the station in the first place in 1996 - it was focused more on suburban air travelers. Originally it was a pain to use - drive to a NCS station, ride Metra to O'Hare Transfer, get on a bus to the people mover, ride the people mover to your terminal. That's (4) modes of transportation before you even get to your plane.

But since then, support has also grown to provide a faster express alternative to the Blue Line. Various studies have shown that adding express tracks to the Blue Line is too difficult and costly, and Elon Musk's underground Loop tunnel was a pipe dream. So that leaves Metra as the best option for an express train. Upgrading the tracks is not a small project but seems feasible, they have room to expand from 3 to 4 tracks and add a flyover bridge or two to decongest the rail junctions.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:20 PM
Small but Mighty

To me a real golden opportunity is building a connecting track from the NCS to the UPNW. You could run trains from the NW suburbs directly to Ohare and then into downtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:20 PM

Is Damen Green Line open yet? All I can find is years old articles. If not, when?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:28 AM
Urbane observer

"Late July."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:16 PM

It will open before the DNC event.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:05 AM
Small but Mighty

Redefine the Drive

I know that this is transit adjacent- but thought that since it impacts bus route along the lake I would post about it.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07...advocates-say/

I hope IDOT gets sued out of their mind for refine the drive. It's insane to me that the year is 2024, and we are actually discussing a highway expansion on the lakefront. Downright terrible plan with tons of misleading graphics and misinformation presented by IDOT. I've read over their technical memorandum, and this option will increase the amount of asphalt in our parks- in some areas more substantially than others. To not include any provisions for transit in the plans as well is ridiculous. IDOT claimed it would take riders away from the redline- they offered no evidence for this claim other than their feelings.

State DOTs need a good look in the mirror and need to move on from the 1950s. The fact that Wisconsin and Indiana have state DOTs more willing to embrace new transportation techniques is embarrassing. IDOT is an embarrassment.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
IDOT claimed it would take riders away from the redline- they offered no evidence for this claim other than their feelings.
Even if they are correct and it would take people away from the Redline, why is that inherently bad? It would only happen if this route was faster than the Redline, which would be a good thing for those people.

Why don't they use this logic on expanding the roads? Wouldn't more lanes on DLSD take drivers away from Clark St.?

Old Posted Today, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
HOLY SHIT! At the Illinois Senate Transportation hearing, Metra said they'll experiment with hourly O'Hare-Union Station service for 10 days during the DNC. They eventually want 15-minute frequency. Metra also said, if they get more funding, they may consider a circumferential route like the STAR Line

I can't believe I'm saying this, but God bless Metra
Could it become a 24/7 service?

Old Posted Today, 12:49 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Redefine the Drive

I know that this is transit adjacent- but thought that since it impacts bus route along the lake I would post about it.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07...advocates-say/

I hope IDOT gets sued out of their mind for refine the drive. It's insane to me that the year is 2024, and we are actually discussing a highway expansion on the lakefront. Downright terrible plan with tons of misleading graphics and misinformation presented by IDOT. I've read over their technical memorandum, and this option will increase the amount of asphalt in our parks- in some areas more substantially than others. To not include any provisions for transit in the plans as well is ridiculous. IDOT claimed it would take riders away from the redline- they offered no evidence for this claim other than their feelings.

State DOTs need a good look in the mirror and need to move on from the 1950s. The fact that Wisconsin and Indiana have state DOTs more willing to embrace new transportation techniques is embarrassing. IDOT is an embarrassment.
I don't really see what you're seeing in the proposal. I see no additional lanes of roadway, bus priority at interchange on and off ramps, much better pedestrian and bike trails and more overall green space. While I tend to agree a full bus only lane would be nice, the biggest problem for busses right now is sitting in auto traffic. Changing a lane from auto to bus would help, but then auto traffic gets much worse. Adding a new bus only lane takes away too much green space by working the road even more. Actually getting rid of the Chicago Ave light helps immensely, given most of the gridlock, especially southbound, is from that signal and most express busses exit at Michigan Ave anyhow.

The proposal shows far more access points to cross than currently exist, with much improved pedestrian and bike infrastructure.

Light rail or a new heavy rail line wouldn't be feasible due to cost.

Not sure what else could be reasonably expected here? Other than full tunneling along the lakefront costing tens of billions of dollars, what world make this much better?

Old Posted Today, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Is Damen Green Line open yet? All I can find is years old articles. If not, when?
August 5th: https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07...al-convention/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation